JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Patrick Declares State Of Emergency, Announces Travel Ban In Mass. « CBS Boston

"BOSTON (CBS) – Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts Friday afternoon for the blizzard that could bring up to 3 feet of snow.

He also announced he has signed an executive order to ban all travel on all roads in the state starting at 4 p.m. Friday.

There are some exceptions to the ban, including emergency workers, those who work in hospitals and media, and others required to be at their jobs.

The governor said rapid snowfall of 2-3 inches per hour will make for, “extremely dangerous conditions,” and will “make safe travel nearly impossible.”

This is the first time that a Massachusetts governor has issued an executive order like this since the Blizzard of 1978.

But back then it was put in place after the storm.

Patrick did not say when this ban would be lifted.

If you don’t have an exemption and you’re caught on the road, the penalty could be as steep as a $500 fine or, at worst, a year in jail."

North Carolina last year put out a winter weather ban that pissed off a lot of people. I understand that there are some people who should not be driving around in the snow but banning everyone?

Very big brotherish to me.

Call me juvenile but, when I hear about stupid stuff like this it makes me want to go out of my way to break the rules. Decide you want to run down to 7-11 for a Slurpee -- get a year in jail. Totally worth it.

The governor said rapid snowfall of 2-3 inches per hour will make for, "extremely dangerous conditions," and will "make safe travel nearly impossible."

Sounds like a tuesday around here. A couple years ago I drove to work through the city of Spokane with snow coming up over the hood of my blazer in some spots. IIRC there are more sick calls on an average summer day than there were that day.

Nanny govt at its finest.

Consider those that need rescue and the risk to the responders. I've been in one of those storms and idiots with vehicles stuck in the middle of the road or with a car stuck halfway into the roadway are a hazard to emergency and road clearing crews. In those situations, they are asking people with 4WD vehicles to help transport hospital and other emergency personnel to their places of work.

The population density in New England is far and above what we have in the snow zones here in the Northwest.

I understand how troublesome it can be for the responders and rescue personal.

I guess though we should ban some of the following activities also...

Scuba diving
Cave diving
Mountain climbing
Camping/Backpacking
Cross country skiing
Mountain biking
Hang gliding
Para sailing
Deep sea fishing
Recreational boating
etc....

Piratepast40, while I understand where you're coming from, I still think an executive travel ban is overreaching. Reasonable citizens use reasonable judgement. If there were a strong advisory to stay off the roads, most people won't risk their health or property unnecessarily. No one needs to BAN me from playing golf during a lighting storm. There's always exceptions to the reasonable norm though. Maybe natural selection should handle those cases rather than the threats of fines or jail time.

I am one of that group of "responders". Do NOT take away my rights or the rights of others for this BS.

If you truly believe what they are doing is right then it is NO different then believing that all this "gun control" is right since is it EXACTLY the same thing. What is comes down to is restricting the rights of everyone for the POSSIBLE actions of some people. IF those "some people" make poor choices THEY need to be dealt with.

I am one of that group of "responders". Do NOT take away my rights or the rights of others for this BS.

If you truly believe what they are doing is right then it is NO different then believing that all this "gun control" is right since is it EXACTLY the same thing. What is comes down to is restricting the rights of everyone for the POSSIBLE actions of some people. IF those "some people" make poor choices THEY need to be dealt with.

Oh B.S., the two things have nothing to do with each other. MA, CT, and NY have all declared states of emergency to free up resources for the storm. As a first responder, I find it hard to believe that you don't believe in any laws concerning public safety. I can relate to my brother in law who has repeatedly arrived at car wreck scenes and had to be the one to help extracate bodies because someone thought that they didn't like the oppressive government telling them that that couldn't drive drunk or that they didnt need to wear seat belts. I really find it hard to believe that you actually think it's ok to over and over again pull dead teenagers out of wrecked cars because they thought it was ok to do 90 down some back road.

If you really think that public safety is a bunch of BS, then you're in the wrong business.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top