JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello guys (and gals, I shouldn't assume, I know there are women on nwfa),

I was thinking of signing up for some Martial Arts and I wanted to hear what was your opinion on the styles. What do you train in?

I thought there was a thread on this already but I could not find it. If you know what it is you can link it here. I remember a few guys from portland were doing some kind that was about inflicting the most damage on your opponent, that sounds kinda cool. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm not one to lose my head in a moment or rage, but if the moment comes where I have to get physical. I'd like to end it quickly.

Thanks for your help

no way on the Krav Magra. please take it from me im a Mixed Martial Artist with a good record in the portland metro area and through oregon to idaho.

U need to train jui jitsu. Krav Magra is no good. ive fought several people who said they were krav experts and they were always easy work, not tryin to brag but i know a bit about the stuff

Hey Shane,

That guy took a beating. Good job, I see that knee finished it. I like watching stuff like this but I've never trained in any of it.

You say jui jitsu is where to start, know any places in the Salem Area?

Chaos in Salem, Mid valley is in woodburn. If you want my kid can teach you some of the basics just to get an idea what your in for.Krav magra is a great self defense art, those who train in it and go to the cage are at a disadvantage because most of it is illeagle in a mma fight. If your looking for an all around free style art for self defense, I can hook you up with a guy in Salem

Chaos in Salem, Mid valley is in woodburn. If you want my kid can teach you some of the basics just to get an idea what your in for.Krav magra is a great self defense art, those who train in it and go to the cage are at a disadvantage because most of it is illeagle in a mma fight. If your looking for an all around free style art for self defense, I can hook you up with a guy in Salem

Thanks for the help, I'll look into Chaos in Salem and Mid Valley as well.

u knew another great place to start is a little bit of "American Wrestling" if u already know how to wrestle i would go with some jits but if not i would find a place that can teach u some old fashion wrestling.

Ask anyone who has taken any martial arts classes what style they suggest and you are likely going to hear a list of the styles that they themselves have studied. I am personally biased toward Kajukenbo and jujitsu...but, those are the two arts I have studied. However, I am willing to concede that there are a lot of effective martial arts out there.

Instead of looking for the "best style of martial arts," I would suggest finding an instructor and a style in your local area that offers the kind of training you are looking for. If the classes are conveniently located (and not an hour away) you are much more likely to actually attend classes and keep training. I would offer a few hints in selecting a place to train. I am going to assume that you frequently carry a gun and/or other weapons and that you are not afraid of a decent workout.

1. Look for a school that teaches self-defense. This means avoiding boxing gyms, MMA trainers, and strip mall Tae Kwon Do. Those schools teach fighting as a sport, with rules, and depend on physical conditioning and hours of long training to be effective. Yes, you can become an excellent fighter with great form, but what you want to learn is how to win a street fight.

2. Look for a school that engages in full or controlled contact training. You are never going to learn how to block a punch or take a hit if you you don't practice blocking a full-speed punch or take a full power kick. This doesn't mean that you don't work up to it, but eventually, training should be fighting in a controlled environment.

3. Take group classes, not private lessons. Training in fighting skills must be hands on with people of all different sizes/shapes.

4. Find an instructor with the proper mind-set and a realistic opinion of martial arts skills. By that I mean a philosophy similar to: Be aware of your surroundings and avoid situations that lead to confrontation. However, if forced to fight, fight to win and win decisively. Fight dirty. Fight brutally. Expect to get hurt in a real fight, no matter what color of belt you hold.

5. Find a school that teaches basic weapons skills. At a minimum, learn counters to the three most common weapons you will encounter: knife, club (this could be a stick, wrench, beer bottle), and gun and learn the basics of how to handle and use these weapons once your assailant is disarmed and the weapon is in your control.

6. Find a school that incorporates some ground fighting. Most fights end up on the ground at some point and these skills are essential.

I could go on forever, but I think that if you find an instructor who meets all or most of my criteria, you will be very happy with your selection.

Any thoughts on Muay Thai/Kempo mix? I thought that may be an interesting combo. I also think Wing Chun or some type of Kung Fu would be interesting mix. I plan on training in Muay Thai soon. I hear the Filipino version of Muay Thai is more rigorous and deadly than the more tame Thai version.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top