JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about heading to the gun show tomorrow in search of my son's (7 weeks old) first gun. I really want to get him a Marlin lever action .22. I know the rifles aren't cheap, but what is over priced? I want a clean one. I plan on getting his name or initials engraved on it somewhere, and a custom sling with the same.

Thanks! We are all doing well, lots of changes and work though! I love lever guns and figured it would be perfect for a first gun. Not unsafe like a semi auto for learning, but cooler than a bolt gun.

I looked at Henry's, but they look like potmetal junk.

:rolleyes: Well there is this brand called Winchester? :D

DSCN3008.JPG

I'd buy a Winchester for the right price, but I'm a Marlin fan. I actually don't care for how the Marlin breaks down, but it is what it is. I'd love to find a carbine and not the super long rifle.

In 1968 my Marlin 39A cost $67.50, you can find one today in 90% condition for about $600 and up. Lesser grades will cost a bit less, but the mania is strong and lots of sellers want the full freight.

Absent the finding of hundreds of crates of these at an RCMP training arsenal, the prices aren't coming down.

Condition is everything.

So when I left Sequim,the gun shows had them for around the 400-600 range,depending on the condition and how proud the owner was of it. My buddy in Pocatello couldn't find one down there for under 700 bucks and his brother,my friend in sequim,found a 16?18"? model for around 475 ,I believe.
Which was a screaming deal as I have never seem one that wasn't a 22in barrel.And it was in great condition.Used but not abused .
So,some think they are worth a ton and some are reasonable at around the 500 mark. I just bought one a couple months ago at 475 cause I thought it was a great deal.
:)The 39a is the longest running production gun in the US. Between the 1889?,1891 and the 39 it has been produced for around 127 years ;)
I think the lever guns are a great way to teach kids to shoot as they slow them down and a fun as heck to shoot

Well, saw one "pre 39a" at the show, $1250, must have been special. Other than that I saw two Brownings, $550 and $595, both were new. I ended up just adding another 870P to the collection... I'll wait for the right one.

9422's are. 62a pumps are. Plus a lot of models have a takedown versions.
Winchester is all over the place. And I don't know them all. :s0092:
Just wondering about the 9422s. Always too much money so never looked that close
Well, saw one "pre 39a" at the show, $1250
I'm guessing that would be a good deal as the 39 came out in 1919? or such? The author of the article on them made a big deal about how the 39 came out before 1939.
So that would have been an older model 22. Glad I didn't see it. Any 22s are my down fall

Two just sold on this site relatively recently for under $400. They were both in relatively poor condition but looked to be good shooters. Last gun show I went to had one in rough condition for $525. I have been wanting one for a while; just biding my time for the right gun/deal. Prices are all over the place on marlin guns.

I picked up a 39M (Mountie) at a show a few months ago. Gave $375 for it, which is about $125 or $150 more than I paid several years ago for a 39a from a member on this board. The Mountie is a little nicer condition overall; both are shooter grade guns with some handling marks. They both function and shoot great. Prices do vary, and I would be prepared to spend $500 to $600 for a nice one.

I like the idea of getting a high quality .22lr rifle to set aside for your kid to be used by them at an appropriate age. I have two young daughters; each of which has a CZ .22lr training rifle set aside in the safe which is factory stamped with their birth year. I too thought it would be nice to pass along something high quality with a special detail. The Marlin 39a is a good choice!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top