Marlin 336 44 magnum

Reactions
the 44 magnum model, or the one that also shoots 44 special? I believe the 44 magnum only model was only made for one year. If I remember correctly 1968. I passed on one a couple months ago for $575.

Hopefully I will find one that shoots both magnum and special. I read that they discontinued the magnum only model do to feeding issues.

OP
B
Reactions
I didn't try any 44 specials. For lite loads I use "Trailboss" powder and 180gr lead bullets. Very clean and consistent. Also easy to id. I plan to add a williams peep sight to this one.

Reactions
Hmmmm, is it marked 44 magnum AND 44 special ? Or is it marked just 44 Magnum? the one marked only 44 Magnum will not shoot specials! Do you know of the year? you might want to do some research, as the 44 mag model was only produced for the one year. The multi caliber has/was made multiple years

Reactions
a Texan? and from the era of 1965-68, with a total 13,895 produced in .44 Magnum. The rollstamp is likely 336 RC and not 336 T. Most enthusiasts consider any straight stocked Marlin a "Texan". The earlier production of the 336 Magnum model did not have a saddle ring, and was similar to the Marauder, but with a 20" barrel and full length mag tube. There was 2,755 produced in this model (some books state 1963-64, but all serial numbers are prefixed Y or Z, for 1964).
just cut and pasting some info out there.

Reactions
more I copied and pasted: either way no 44 special in your gun

.44 Magnum chambering. Manufactured from 1963 to 1967.

1963 through 1964, it's the 336-44 Magnum. This rifle doesn't have the square loop lever, it is rounded, and no saddle ring. Serial numbers would start with a W, Y, or Z.

1965 through 1967, it's the 336T. Square lever and saddle ring. Serial number would start with AA, AB, AC.

OP
B
Reactions
Yes it is the rounded lever, my 1894 has the squared lever. No other marks with the model number, 20" barrel and no saddle ring. It is interesting how they dealt with the shorter cartridge, there is a piece that keeps the shell toward the front of the action. Very slick!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom