JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the Albany gun show Saturday and bought a Marlin 336 44 mag. It looks pretty good for being 48 years old. This is only the second one of these I have seen. So I took it to the range today and ran about 50 rounds through it. It did really well. I am happy with this buy.

This is only the second one I have seen. I really like the Marlin lever actions. I think this is the fifth one I have owned. I hope to get a 357 some day.

the 44 magnum model, or the one that also shoots 44 special? I believe the 44 magnum only model was only made for one year. If I remember correctly 1968. I passed on one a couple months ago for $575.

Hopefully I will find one that shoots both magnum and special. I read that they discontinued the magnum only model do to feeding issues.

I didn't try any 44 specials. For lite loads I use "Trailboss" powder and 180gr lead bullets. Very clean and consistent. Also easy to id. I plan to add a williams peep sight to this one.

Hmmmm, is it marked 44 magnum AND 44 special ? Or is it marked just 44 Magnum? the one marked only 44 Magnum will not shoot specials! Do you know of the year? you might want to do some research, as the 44 mag model was only produced for the one year. The multi caliber has/was made multiple years

a Texan? and from the era of 1965-68, with a total 13,895 produced in .44 Magnum. The rollstamp is likely 336 RC and not 336 T. Most enthusiasts consider any straight stocked Marlin a "Texan". The earlier production of the 336 Magnum model did not have a saddle ring, and was similar to the Marauder, but with a 20" barrel and full length mag tube. There was 2,755 produced in this model (some books state 1963-64, but all serial numbers are prefixed Y or Z, for 1964).
just cut and pasting some info out there.

more I copied and pasted: either way no 44 special in your gun

.44 Magnum chambering. Manufactured from 1963 to 1967.

1963 through 1964, it's the 336-44 Magnum. This rifle doesn't have the square loop lever, it is rounded, and no saddle ring. Serial numbers would start with a W, Y, or Z.

1965 through 1967, it's the 336T. Square lever and saddle ring. Serial number would start with AA, AB, AC.

Yes it is the rounded lever, my 1894 has the squared lever. No other marks with the model number, 20" barrel and no saddle ring. It is interesting how they dealt with the shorter cartridge, there is a piece that keeps the shell toward the front of the action. Very slick!

I got a picture finally. This shows the new peep sight.

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads