JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Looks like the mom has tried to stop him before by laying on top of her son but she got beat too. I still don't think she's innocent in all this though. :angry:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/15/michigan.child.torture/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- A Michigan man could face life in prison after he allegedly tortured and ultimately killed his girlfriend's 4-year-old son last week for wetting his pants, prosecutors say.

Brandon Joshua-Frederick Hayes, 24, "systematically beat" Dominick Calhoun, 4, "pummeling [him] with fists and kicking him" on his arms, legs and genitalia, Genesee County prosecutor David Leyton told CNN.

Hayes also apparently burned the boy in the course of the torture. "The knuckles across one hand were charred," Argentine Township police chief Dan Allen said.

"I've been doing this a long time, and this is the worst case of child abuse I've ever seen," the police chief said. "In all respects, he was tortured."

Prosecutors arraigned Hayes on Thursday on nine charges, including one count of first-degree premeditated murder, one count of first-degree child abuse and one count of torture, which by itself carries a possible life sentence.

"Little Dominick met his boogeyman, and that was defendant Hayes," Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said at a news conference Thursday.

CNN was unable to reach someone who could speak on Hayes' behalf.

Hayes' motivation for his savage multiday attack on the boy was that the child "had wet his pants," Leyton said. "It had happened before."

Hayes also resented the child because his "biological father wouldn't pay child support," Leyton said.

Dominick's mother, Corrine Baker, was present for at least some of the beating and tried to shield the boy from Hayes' aggression, authorities said.

"She tried to lay on top of the child to guard the child against being beat any further, but she was beat in the process," according to the police chief.

The sequence of events that led to the discovery of the abuse began when Baker's sister and several acquaintances came to the apartment to buy drugs from Hayes, according to Allen. After seeing Dominick's condition, the sister alerted the boy's paternal grandfather, who in turn contacted authorities.

When emergency responders entered the apartment on the afternoon of April 11, Dominick was "barely alive." EMS transferred him to Hurley Hospital in Flint, where he was pronounced brain dead.

The boy was taken off life support the following morning.

Dominick's mother's whereabouts and actions through all portions of the torture session remain somewhat hazy. The county prosecutor said his office is "still investigating her involvement in all this."

"She's also culpable for putting him in the dangerous position in the first place," he added.

Baker was taken into custody on Sunday but released later. Attempts to reach her at her home Thursday evening were unsuccessful.

The town police chief said Baker and her son had been brought to the attention of Genesee County Department of Child Services on several occasions. The agency did not respond to CNN's requests for comment Thursday.

It was not immediately clear whether Baker's involvement with the child services agency predated her relationship with Hayes. The police chief said he believed Baker and Hayes had been together for about six months.

Wow, I wish they could just take the scumbag out back and shoot him once he is found guilty. It's better than he deserves, but at least it would put him where he belongs.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be Hayes, to have walked around with that sort of crazy anger, and to turn it on a 4 year old without limit. By all means kill him quickly, no revenge is necessary living with that mind would be torture enough.

I've been crazy angry before, never went very far beyond running my mouth, but for me to think that I am so different from this fellow is folly, we're men, most of us have an angry streak, evolution required it of us as a necessary attribute.

I once attended a Men's Anger management class, I was the only one not required by the state to attend. These were not horrible people, they were just regular guys who had same feelings as I did, and wanted the same things. The most important thing I learned in that class was one guy telling us why the cops may be coming to get him at any moment. How he had been lured by his girlfriend to come to dinner dispite a restraning order, and how during the course of that time she got a call from another guy, and he got very jelous and ended up running out of the house with her blood on his hands after cracking her head against the bathroom tiles.

I've just been lucky, something in me allows me to control my rage, it is nothing I earned by virtue.

Somehow I am inclined to believe the death penalty would be too good for this guy.

There are times when I am inclined to believe in "an eye for an eye." This may be one of those.
Especially since he gets an automatic appeal with a death sentence, and may live out his natural life on death row. Being fed, clothed etc.

It doesn't matter if he gets death or life imprisonment. Most convicts don't take to kindly to crimes against children. He's either going to be in 24/7 segregation for the rest of his life (which is a nice bit of torture in and of itself) or he's going to get shanked in the prison yard. He's done either way...

It doesn't matter if he gets death or life imprisonment. Most convicts don't take to kindly to crimes against children. He's either going to be in 24/7 segregation for the rest of his life (which is a nice bit of torture in and of itself) or he's going to get shanked in the prison yard. He's done either way...

^ this^

if not shanked, he will, in short time, likely will wish he was....

Mom bears a full 50% of the responsibility in this.

Any married man knows that he can completely demoralize and deflate his wife's desire or inhibition to do anything with just a few words.

Women are run by emotions guys... emotion abuse (if she received any) is just as bad if not worse than physical.

That would allow him to basically justify anything and get his pathetic way.

but.............. More details needed before the gallows for the guy.

"She tried to lay on top of the child to guard the child against being beat any further, but she was beat in the process," according to the police chief.
Don't know about you guys.. but anyone lays a hand on my child unwarranted and they will have my full force upon them.

bubblegum this pisses me off. I knew I shouldn't have read this damn thread. Now I need to go take my blood pressure meds.

Any married man knows that he can completely demoralize and deflate his wife's desire or inhibition to do anything with just a few words.

Women are run by emotions guys... emotion abuse (if she received any) is just as bad if not worse than physical.

That would allow him to basically justify anything and get his pathetic way.

but.............. More details needed before the gallows for the guy.

Don't know about you guys.. but anyone lays a hand on my child unwarranted and they will have my full force upon them.

bubblegum this pisses me off. I knew I shouldn't have read this damn thread. Now I need to go take my blood pressure meds.

Personally I think anyone who kills a child in the act of abusing that child should face a mandatory death penalty, and should be given no more than 6 months to handle their appeals before the sentence is carried out. For that matter I think the same should apply to anyone who kills another human being during the commision of a felony whether intentionally or accidentally, and for anyone convicted of 1st degree murder.

They have not released enough details to determine that yet. It seems likely, but we will likely never know the full details of the case...

I think everyone's remarks in a thread like this automatically come with the disclaimer "Going only by the info available in the story..." and mine are no exception.

She brought a drug-dealer into her home and made him the man of the house over her and her child. This last lethal episode of abuse was not a one-time incident yet there's no mention of any authorities being previously called in.

She's an adult, she's a parent, and as far as I'm concerned, she's also responsible for what happened. I have a lot of sympathy for women in bad situations (I really do mean that), but that sympathy runs dry pretty quick when they make no attempt to leave the situation.

Perhaps 50% is a bit much. She didn't actually commit the act and ultimately a man is responsible for what goes on under his own roof. I'd be willing to back it down to, say, 35%.

And the boyfriend needs to be 100% set on fire.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads