JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SANDY, OR (KPTV) -

A man from Sandy was killed Friday when his gun accidentally discharged while he was climbing over a barbed wire fence.

Clackamas County deputies say Robert Ralph Hoelting, 62, was walking home on Marmot Road when his pistol apparently discharged, killing him as he climbed the fence.

Witnesses later reported finding his body.

The State Medical Examiner reports Hoelting died of a gunshot wound to the chest.

One of my high school girls friends little brother did this with a .22 rifle while an 8th grader. He ended up shooting himself in the top of the eye socket. It screwed him up until he finally died from an infection in his brain in his thirties. Many years spent in adult care.

Sounds like this guy should have invested in a decent holster. I thought people usually got shot crossing a fence with a rifle. Of course you can put a pistol under the fence like a rifle.

Even holstered one should adhere to the 'safe' method of crossing a fence IE. firearm unloaded, placed safely on the ground and retrieved only when you are safely over the fence. I was discussing this with some co-workers today and we think he probably had the gun in his strong hand and while grabbing the fence wire or pole with the same hand pointed the muzzle at his chest.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top