JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello I have a Colt Gold Cup Commander in which I want the frame cut down to officer size. I have not been able to find a gunsmith that can do this locally, does anybody know someone that can do this? I want to get a cost estimate. My other option is to buy an officer frame and build on that, I do not want to do this but I will if its the only option. Mine pistol looks exactly like this one.

365312_01_colt_gold_cup_commander_45_acp_640.jpg

That will be my last option. Every handgun I own is part of my carry rotation, this one included. However I find the frame on this one more difficult to keep from printing, I own some other 1911s in CCO size and they are the perfect carry size I just want to make this one like that, so I don't need to cut this one up but I want to.

I think every 1911 gunsmith worth their salt has a huge backlog these days. I see alchemy custom on the 1911 forum quite a bit, they know their stuff on 1911's and seem to keep things moving more than most.

Or you could just get one of these and do it yourself!

24287_2000x2000.jpg

Last Edited:
I did consider doing this myself but there is some welding involved where I would need to relocate the lower grip screws, and that is where my skills fail me I am just not confident in my welding skills, so for the time being this is not an option. I will check out alchemy, but if any one has more suggestion I would love to hear about them.

The recoil shoulder needs to be cut back on the full size frame. The bottom grip screw bushings will be cut off. Most frames are open where the new bushings need to be, meaning a plate will need to be welded into the grip frame window. Then drill and tap.
But its possible, I've done a few.

In the end, converting a Government model to a Officers is very cost ineffective. But I never tell the customer no don't do that, it costs to much! You want what you want for a reason!

Last Edited:
I have also always wanted a 4.25 slide on an officers frame, I wish the 1911 makers would offer these in production guns but they don't seem to. I've heard that Colt made some then discontinued them I wonder why they didnt sell. The only one I think is available with an "officers" frame on a "commander" slide is the Kimber Compact CDP II is exactly what your looking for. Spendy for a carry gun IMO... <broken link removed>

I thought I read somewhere that you could fit a Colt Commander slide onto a Colt Officers frame... might be a cheaper option to buy a 100% officers frame and build it up and fit it to your Commander upper slide? I don't know, not a gunsmith.

I can not recommend a gunsmith (though Velzey is highly recommended all over this forum) but...

:eek::eek::eek: I might actually die if you cut that thing up.

While not as collectible as the ones with the "Custom Edition" rollmark, I've read that there were only 500 of those two-tone ones made - which you maybe already know.

I have a Gold Cup Elite full size, looks just like this one only a little bigger. It is a great shooting pistol, but I wouldn't make it an everyday carry gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top