JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That looks great, what's in your rub?

The rub I use is very fast and simple. I tried building my own blends but for speed and not having all the ingredients on hand, this one works very well. It starts out with dry Taco Seasoning. I tried it since it has cumin and other flavorings already added and since it is a sealed package, the flavors are still fresh.

1 pkg. taco seasoning (any brand works)
2 tbs. New Mexico chili powder or your favorite blend
1 tbs. salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 good handful of dark brown sugar
1/4 white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder

Rub into meat (I wear latex exam gloves) and let sit for 1/2 hr or until you see some moisture starting to collect in the pan.

I made some yesterday myself. Extra chunky (Onions) homemade BBQ sauce, smoked ribs for a couple hours, then placed in deep pan with a little water, smothered with sauce and cooked at 225 for almost 5 hours. Gutted a few potatoes, deep fried then put fresh smoked bacon from the meat shop, topped with shredded cheese and sour creme. YUM!

Well HJ, first off, A BIG THANK YOU! We thought that perhaps we had died and went to heaven,,mmm,mm,mmmm. It was in the smoker on cherry chips for two hours, then off to the low and slow BBQ for the recommended time. We had a couple of guests over for dinner of which one is a member of this site (USMC) and he swore it was the best beef and pork ribs he had ever eaten, and that says a lot as this man knows how to eat, trust me. My bad on the no pics deal, I don't think I stood a chance as they all stood around salivating like a bunch of Pavlov's puppies until I laid it on the platter, then a stampede ensued, I almost got trampled. I made twice baked potatoes with bacon, ranch, chives and sharp shredded cheddar. This also was accompanied by Mushrooms stuffed with a shrimp, spinach and cream cheese with a dash of worcestershire then rolled in seasoned Italian bread crumbs. Also added homegrown frozen corn and and homemade dinner rolls to round things off. I made an off the cuff BBQ sauce with chili sauce, worcestershire, liquid smoke, brown sugar and garlic/onion mixed with the very last "sonny's" bbq sauce that I brought back from the EOD base down in florida,, if you have never eaten at sonny's I cant recommend it enough, (yours is better) and that was used to slather on the ribs which were divine. Thank you for the recipe sir, I know better than to read your posts from now on when im hungry though,, and the same can be said for those posted by Trlsmn! I have tried many of his and have never found a bad one. Thanks for the tips guys, you make me look like I know what Im doing:s0152:

SalmonriverJohn-.....Sounds like no one left hungry! I too must try adding some nice beef ribs to the mix. I'm also looking for a good homemade vinegar based BBQ sauce to serve along side. If you know of one, I'd appreciate a point in that direction.

Glad to hear all had a good time. That's what sharing good food is all about.

HJ

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads