JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another frame design that may work well with body armor... is the classic 10th MTN ruck steel frame; like this. Only possible issue; the lower frame horns are of a width that fits the average WW2 soldier, not a bulky guy. I have one on another ruck that was made by someone else, and it basically jabs me right at my love handles. Am not at home to measure the width, but I want to say its only 14 inches or so IMG_9505__11205.1534794863.png

@Andy54Hawken ; if I were to make an ARVN style ruck, it would have fixed pockets with pass through backs for the straps and quite possibly an internal frame from Fire Force USA; would you want it to have a waist belt or just a waist/kidney pad with just ALICE style shoulder straps?

@Andy54Hawken ; if I were to make an ARVN style ruck, it would have fixed pockets with pass through backs for the straps and quite possibly an internal frame from Fire Force USA; would you want it to have a waist belt or just a waist/kidney pad with just ALICE style shoulder straps?
I like the idea of waist / kidney pad and the ALICE style shoulder straps...
( I would either tighten up the waist belt and not wear it or cut it off on my issued rucks... )
Andy

Rubbed me raw with the heavy loads the Army wanted us to carry...
limited my movement..
Got in the way of my web gear...
And was an extra buckle to undo if I needed to drop my ruck in a hurry.
Andy
This is the biggest reason the British Army have short internal frame rucks, the PLCE gear is set up so that the ruck can rest atop the kidney pouches and bottle pouches, effectively turning the PLCE belt kit into a ruck belt.

This is something I've been thinking about, for quite a while.
How can one get the following combo to be comfortable and easy to release?

Plate carrier set
Rucksack
Belt kit (either battle belt or load bearing belt)

Edit. So far, the reality is basically..
short external frame rucks
Sturdy belt kit
Low profile/slick armor setup

Its also a reason so many people went to incredibly large and heavy duty chest rigs with the various rucks and used low profile/minimal belt kits.

Last Edited:
This is something I've been thinking about, for quite a while.
How can one get the following combo to be comfortable and easy to release?

Plate carrier set
Rucksack
Belt kit (either battle belt or load bearing belt)

Edit. So far, the reality is basically..
short external frame rucks
Sturdy belt kit
Low profile/slick armor setup

Its also a reason so many people went to incredibly large and heavy duty chest rigs with the various rucks and used low profile/minimal belt kits.

The solution I am attempting is to use a HPG Aston house backcountry which has a removable hip belt. Then for the hip belt I am using a VTAC war belt with my normal belt gear. Its not a Great solution, but it was worth a shot. I am trying a seperate hip belt as well to wear it above a low profile esstac shooters belt. Will see what is more comfortable. I exagerated the lumbar bend to push the top out past my armor.
20200602_125154.jpg

The AHBG is a versatile pack, can carry a 3 day load or compress way down for a light 24 hr load. i have mine setup right now as a GHB with a light 24 hr kit in the bottom of the pack.

20200625_225553.jpg

There was a trend in the late 80s and through the 90s to have tac vests with buckles to dock patrol sized packs of all kinds directly to the vests. Eagle Industries, London Bridge Trading Co, Blackhawk Industries, American Body Armor (they also made armor, shocking :rolleyes: ) , and a few other boutique gear makers all did the same.. arguably getting the idea from the NATICK/Lowe Alpine LBV/pack combo as seen here.. the NATICK version used ALICE style QD mounts for the top, and 1" waist strap that ran below the LBV mag pockets img_9860.jpg

Edit. This is still done with the zipoff panels for the plate carrier backs on some models but these are much smaller

Actually, depending on the design... a way to connect the ALICE frame or MOLLE frame directly to a full body armor set and belt, depending on how the user's torso is set up with the armor.. might be an useful system that allows for quick detach, and likely spread the load to the whole torso, like a vest pack does... again, depending on how much coverage/size the armor carrier has. A full blown CIRAS setup might limit the user from having a bulky war belt, but may allow the user to mount the ALICE to his vest without extra shoulder straps and belts in the way.

On a whim, I decided to see if just the FILBE shoulder yoke would work on this particular pack.. and lo and behold, a twofer benefits; lighter than the LC 2 shoulder straps (less metal), and more comfortable! It is essentially a "half framed" pack, as the yoke has a stiff panel that the packs all mount onto... this would in theory also work for the Medium ALICE packs but not the Large due to no D rings for the shoulder strap lowers.
20201021_202115.jpg 20201021_202038.jpg 20201021_202058.jpg
The next Coyote MOLLE pack in this size,if there is one.. likely will have some additional bits/things to get the yoke to be more secure... like probably webbing slots or O-rings for the yoke's straps, or something, but it may not be that necessary if the set up is so far, comfortable.

So I wasn't quite happy with how the FILBE yoke didnt feel as secure as could be, poking away from the bag below the frame sleeve.. thus, I ripped a section of stitching on each side of the main seam and inserted a section of 3.5" webbing to do duty as yoke retainer. It is so much better now 20201114_112400.jpg 20201114_112350.jpg 20201114_112419.jpg

Attached two Sustainment pouches to confirm that I'd need to move the MOLLE bands closer on the next MOLLE pack design, and loaded them up, its quite comfortable and definitely feels just right for an overnight/GHB. The next MOLLE bag likely will see the lid straps shortened and relocated to the top half of the body, while the MOLLE mounts could be reduced to a minimal layout more like the MOLLE rucksacks 20201115_122801.jpg 20201115_122742.jpg

Eagle Industries FILBE hydration pouches. Flat, wider than Condor's, no MOLLE on the outside... only off by 1 MOLLE row lol. Better than the Sustainment pouches which only could dock either on the top 2 and no bottom rows, or 1 row below the top row and one row above the bottom row. While the pouches lay flat, they are surprisingly roomy when not used for hydration. Edit. Shown with Tactical Tailor Super Straps in Coyote Brown. Doing duty as baby clothes and stuff bag while wife uses the 2,000+ coyote pack and I use the woodland Large ALICE on MOLLE frame for our week long visit to the grandparents

20210511_212938.jpg 20210511_212923.jpg 20210511_212915.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads