JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A repost from akfiles.

Translation:
1616101497341.jpeg
March 17, 2021 09:54 A national scandal erupted in America over Hungarian sniper rifles

An American Youtuber acquired 100 HD-18 sniper guns of Hungarian origin under grass and then began selling them at a gold price, for which a nationwide scandal erupted among U.S. gun enthusiasts.
In the United States, an average citizen gets 1.25 small arms, which means he has a huge culture of possessing firearms for collecting purposes in addition to self-defense and hunting.

Originally made Soviet-made sniper rifles of the SzVD (Snajskerskaya Vintovka Dragunova - Dragunov sniper rifle) model are a real rarity, as neither China nor Russia can import weapons into America due to the embargo. And American companies that make Kalashnikov copies do not produce SZVDs.
szvd-439092.jpg

Russian snipers with two locally made SzVD variants. Photo by Dmitry Rogulin \ TASS via Getty

Hungary, on the other hand, is a NATO member and an American ally, and the Armed Forces still uses SZVD derivatives marked with the Hungarian FEG (sources differ as to whether these were weapons manufactured in Hungary or only Soviet-made SZVDs were retrofitted). , in any case they are mostly labeled Made in Hungary).

Hope recently sparked hopes among U.S. Dragunov fans when FEG Defense announced it would embark on U.S. exports of stock-based SZVD derivatives under the HD-18 brand. The sale price was shot at around $ 3,800-5,000 (HUF 1.17-1.54 million), which is especially expensive, but many collectors would have been willing to pay that price for the weapons.

A few days later, it turned out that the entire "package" was probably bought at a reduced price by an American "guntuber," Tim Harmsen, who runs a Youtube channel called the Military Arms Channel.

At first, many hoped that Tim Harmsen, who had repeatedly criticized the overpricing of American collectible weapons, would pass on the Dragunovs at a friendly price. It didn't happen so much that Harmsen put the guns on an auction site called Gunbroker, but only five out of a hundred and gave a starting bid of $ 5,000, which is the top of the price range set by FEG. So Harmsen was probably prepared to sell the weapons in smaller "packages" to keep the price of the Dragunovs as high as possible by abusing his essential monopoly. The whole thing was ironic just because the "guntuber" in several of his videos criticized those who behave similarly with other weapons.

U.S. gun owners stumbled upon Harmsen amazingly: they also smashed the auction site, where the price of guns had already been pushed up to $ 10 million (obviously no one will pay that bid, but it will make it impossible for serious inquirers). Gun fan sites were flooded with memes and posts critical of guntuber, ratings of his Youtube channel and videos were pulled down and filled with hateful comments.
feg-dragunov-439094.jpg

Source: Gunbroker

So Harmsen couldn't sell the Dragunovs and ruined his otherwise reputable gun shop and reputation on his Youtube channel with the move. The gun community hopes that the guntuber will apologize and pass on the weapons rarities of Hungarian origin at an affordable, fixed price, which will be closer to the bottom of the price band set by FÉG Defense.

Anyway, I don't know how much Harmsen paid for the guns.

The cover image shows a Russian SZVD in the hands of a Russian sniper. Photo by Dmitry Rogulin \ TASS via Getty Images

Last Edited:
Here's a thought. Perhaps a less than a sweet pill to swallow. But I'll speak my thoughts anyway. So, how much better are the ammo and reloading component scalpers on here than this guy? o_O I mean nearly a dollar a round for 9mm and 5.56 for example

My math is pretty simple. If for example I would break down the cost per round for 5.56... I would buy a thousand primers for roughly $30 thousand. 55gr. FMJ for roughly $100 a thousand. A pound of powder on average of $30. 7,000 grains in a pound and roughly 25gr. charge per shot. That's enough to load about 280 rounds of 5.56. If we add everything up, primer ¢3
Bullet ¢10
Powder charge ¢11
Free range PU Brass ¢ 0
———
¢24 per round

I understand the supply and demand part and making some profit for the trouble but to mark it three times over actual value is basically scalping your 2A brothers and sisters. I don't want to judge but some asking prices I see just involuntarily raise my eye brows. I compared the handloads process but the same components are in factory ammo too. Primer, brass, copper, lead and powder. I'm sure munitions factories buy their materials in bulk at a better price and can roll out the same ammo at a lesser cost than me.

Last Edited:
Here's a thought. Perhaps a less than a sweet pill to swallow. But I'll speak my thoughts anyway. So, how much better are the ammo and reloading component scalpers on here than this guy? o_O I mean nearly a dollar a round for 9mm and 5.56 for example

My math is pretty simple. If for example I would break down the cost per round for 5.56... I would buy a thousand primers for roughly $30 thousand. 55gr. FMJ for roughly $100 a thousand. A pound of powder on average of $30. 7,000 grains in a pound and roughly 25gr. charge per shot. That's enough to load about 280 rounds of 5.56. If we add everything up, primer ¢3
Bullet ¢10
Powder charge ¢11
Free range PU Brass ¢ 0
———
¢24 per round

I understand the supply and demand part and making some profit for the trouble but to mark it three times over actual value is basically scalping your 2A brothers and sisters. I don't want to judge but some asking prices I see just involuntarily raise my eye brows. I compared the handloads process but the same components are in factory ammo too. Primer, brass, copper, lead and powder. I'm sure munitions factories buy their materials in bulk at a better price and can roll out the same ammo at a lesser cost than me.
:s0101:

First rule of Economics - supply and demand :(, the scarcer the supply the higher the demand. People are charging $1.00/rd for 45, 5.56, etc because people are paying that much. If we'd all say enough is enough and stop buying at these ridiculous prices, the price would drop. I refuse to pay exorbitant prices - luckily I stocked up after the last cluster#$%... It's slowed down my shooting some (no longer shot 1500 rds a Saturday just for the fun of it) but I can still get in some training.

Did the ammo scalpers wait for someone else to spend three years having that exact ammo made, unavailable anywhere else, then convince the source to sell to them instead? And subsequently boost the price of that ammo after complaining about ammo resellers' prices online?

Conservatives:

That cancel culture sure is the dumbest thing...

Also conservatives:

Screw this guy...

Anti gunners:

1616113133031.png

I'm not critical of MAC for what he believes or says, I'm critical of them for poaching the benefit of someone else's three years of foresight and effort. I'm not asking for his website to be deplatformed or for his bank to close his account. If that is "cancel culture" then I guess conservatives cannot criticize anyone for anything.

100 still aint many here in the US for an SVD clone. Even at the bottom pricing, these are still out of reach for many gun folks.

What price did he pay per unit? I didnt see that noted at all. Beyond that.. did he have to pay any import fees, shipping..etc? Does the article factor any of that in?

As with HK stuff.. these things fetch a premium... letting a mere 5 go at a time to me doesn't seem like he is purposely trying to keep supply low.. why should he have to sell all of them at once, does he HAVE to sell all 100 at the same time? What entitled people to his supply of SVD clones?
The dude can ask whatever he wants for them, they are his.. sure seems like gun forum folks (not here) have turned into the twitter mob attempting to cancel everyone and anyone because they couldnt get something they wanted at rock bottom prices.

I could have misread what was noted above.. but I dont think MAC did anything horribly wrong here. Seems like folks get angry at free market economics. He has rare items, he sets the price because the market will pay for said items. Way to win? Dont bid on his items, he'll be stuck with them OR suckers will over pay. The same goes for the ammo scalpers here on the forum. Again.. unless Im missing something.. just what is so evil and necessary of canceling here?

So, how much better are the ammo and reloading component scalpers on here than this guy? o_O
He criticized them then turned around and did the same thing, there's more to it and I'll explain.
100 still aint many here in the US for an SVD clone. Even at the bottom pricing, these are still out of reach for many gun folks.
There'll probably be more coming in. The issue is as follows:

Some time ago someone was gauging out interest for FEG to bring these in. Cool, a company would want to do that. However, they had a list of people wanting in on getting some as they get imported, and IICR there were numbers for those in line so to speak. The claim is that the importer had no such list and that no one from FEG talked to them. This claim was made by Tim of Military Arms Channel (and from this point on I will use his name instead of MAC). In addition to this, Tim has said he only received half of them and claimed he never said he was going to sell all of them on gunbroker. Here's where it gets interesting, before he made said claim he posted about having 100 of them AND that they will be sold on gunbroker. He posted 5 for sale, to keep the prices high.

So there is a possibility the list never made it to the importer and all that. However, Tim has already been caught in a lie so everything coming from Tim from this point is to be taken with a grain of salt. So in addition to Tim being two-faced and doing what he did despite early criticizing against others who do the same, he has made contradictory claims. He no longer claims he only got 50, now he just claims no one ever made a list.

Disclaimer: There may be slight bias as I am from the same forum the poster was gauging out interest on. However; I have made no claims to be in line and while I may have been interested in potentially getting one at some point, I have absolutely no stake in this situation as I was never entered in on any list, and do not even have a number in line. I am merely looking at everything that happened from the time the poster was looking into how many would he interested until this point we are at today. So take my word with a grain of salt as well and form your opinion based on what you know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top