JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Mac-10 .22LR Upper, Ye or Nay?

• Yes! And the one to acquire is ...

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Eh, maybe. Not sure worth the hassle.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Nope.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • (gasp!) Machine-guns are extra naughty ... I am running to a safe space.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
So I read an article in an old copy of Small Arms Review (SAR) that mentioned various conversions for the Mac-10 line of submachine-guns to run .22LR. One even ran off 10/22 magazines.

Questions:
  • Circa Q1 2020, considering the price of bulk 9㎜ Parabellum ammo, is this worth the bother? Particularly in light that I plan installing a Lage upper once they will sell me one. (Many months in and still nothing.)
  • If the answer is affirmative, which one?
Thanks!

If I spent the coin on a full auto, and it could run multiple different uppers and calibers, I'd own all of them.

Not sure on cost as of yet; the article was old, so not going with those figures. Calico makes an upper but it is the same zone as a Lage, and it is, well, Calico, so no thanks. Lage has .22 uppers too, and for less, but are on backorder. I'll need to do some more digging.

No interesting in reloading nor likely ever will in bulk. Simply don't have the time or inclination. (Though I could see setting up for low volume on certain cartridges.)

Honestly I would say without a doubt that a 22 upper would be the bees knees. That said I have no personal experience of ownership with either of the ones mentioned.

I did shoot one about 5 or so years back and it was A LOT of fun.....much giggling was had. I don't remember who his was made by and I've since fallen out of contact with that individual.

So I read an article in an old copy of Small Arms Review (SAR) that mentioned various conversions for the Mac-10 line of submachine-guns to run .22LR. One even ran off 10/22 magazines.

Questions:
  • Circa Q1 2020, considering the price of bulk 9㎜ Parabellum ammo, is this worth the bother? Particularly in light that I plan installing a Lage upper once they will sell me one. (Many months in and still nothing.)
  • If the answer is affirmative, which one?
Thanks!
I would have bought the LAGE F/A .22 upper for my MAC10/45 F/A but it was just a tease...sadface-on

Well, I finally got the email saying the 9㎜ Lage upper was available and asked if I still wanted to invest in said. The response was:

So, that's in the pipeline. Will look into the little upper later though anything rimfire is kind of meh. And I just lost my train of thought again.

The MAC 22LR conversions are definitely cool, however getting one is the problem. I have several Lage conversion uppers for my M10. The most fun is the M31 9mm upper that allows me to use a Suomi 72rd drum magazine or the 32rd stick mags for the M31 Suomi subguns. I also have their 45 upper which slows the cyclic rate down to as low as 700. I am on the waiting list for their 556 upper which should be real fun!