JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/m3-“grease-gun”-world-war-ii-just-wont-stop-shooting-177276

Got plans for that?

submachine-gun-blueprint-patent-print-greg-edwards.jpg

During my time with the Corps, two M3s were allotted to each M60A1 RISE main battle tank. I hated the things! When emptying our 7-rd .45 magazines and the 30-rd grease gun magazines we almost always had more hits with the pistols than the sub-gun. And that was with the totally shot out .45s we had due to the Carter Administration decimation of military budgets.

The M3s were pretty much uncontrollable in full-auto fire and had lousy sights, stupid stocks and horrid triggers.

I remember seeing a couple in the late 80's . Ammo carriers were still using them with their HEMT's . Thats actually the first time I ever saw one. 1988 ish. I asked the driver "WTF is that thing?" "Its a grease gun. You open up the widow a few inches and spray bullets like out of a hose".

Did they use the M3's Grease Guns during the Vietnam War at all. I was watching the TV show, "Tour of Duty". I see some soldiers carrying M16s, but others US troops were using AK47s, and I believe I saw an M3 in that show as well.

Did they use the M3's Grease Guns during the Vietnam War at all. I was watching the TV show, "Tour of Duty". I see some soldiers carrying M16s, but others US troops were using AK47s, and I believe I saw an M3 in that show as well.
Yes, there were a lot of M3's floating around over there. Tank crews were often issued them. Couple people I know who were in the tanks said at some point they started trying to give them the "chopped down" version of the standard rifle to replace them. Some liked the shorter rifle, others decided to stay with the M3. I have been able to shoot a few transferable ones and really enjoyed playing with them. Have long said if I ever hit the lotto I would have to have another. In "battle" they of course had limited use. They were great for what they were made for, not great as trying to replace a rifle of any kind.

Back in the day when I ran an arms room, we had two M3's per M60A3 tank. The reason they used these for the tankers was for the ease of ingress/egress from the tanks. M16's required a bit more acrobatics to get in there and then stow away. As far as accuracy, they weren't designed for sniping, just very close quarters combat in the immediate vicinity of the tank. They were great if your tank was broke and you had to scatter approaching enemy but that's about it and that's where the expectation should be. When we transitioned to the M1 Abrams, we gave them M16's but the M1 Abrams was a different animal. I was rather fond of the Grease Gun. I used to carry it along when I went on border patrols.

Back in the day when I ran an arms room, we had two M3's per M60A3 tank. The reason they used these for the tankers was for the ease of ingress/egress from the tanks. M16's required a bit more acrobatics to get in there and then stow away. As far as accuracy, they weren't designed for sniping, just very close quarters combat in the immediate vicinity of the tank. They were great if your tank was broke and you had to scatter approaching enemy but that's about it and that's where the expectation should be. When we transitioned to the M1 Abrams, we gave them M16's but the M1 Abrams was a different animal. I was rather fond of the Grease Gun. I used to carry it along when I went on border patrols.
Every time I think of getting one if I hit the money I have to laugh. Thinking that if the guys making them were told that several decades from now those guns will sell for 20K. Since they must have cost about $50 to make in the day :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top