JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend just dropped off a M1 Garand for safekeeping and storage. The guy is interested in if it's collectible and possibly valuable. I think he was hinting around about a trade/sale between he and I - so I thought I'd check it out.

Thoughts and Ideas on where I should start would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

First thing would be to take it apart and record all of the part numbers and note what condition they are all in.
Most of them have been through an arsenal rebuild after the war and have mis-matched parts.
Take some pics and post them on here for a better evaluation.

First thing would be to take it apart and record all of the part numbers and note what condition they are all in.
Most of them have been through an arsenal rebuild after the war and have mis-matched parts.
Take some pics and post them on here for a better evaluation.

Thank you - I will do that.

Who is the maker of the Receiver? Springfield, Harrington and Richardson, Winchester or International Harvester. Springfield and Harrington manufactured the most. Winchester did less and only in WWII. The Winchester name makes it valuable but the quality was rougher than the others. International Harvester are generally the most valuable but not always the case. Lots of determining factors in pricing an M1.

Are there any import stamps? (Blue Sky, Arlington Ordnance).

Was this rifle purchased from the CMP? Does it have a certificate?

Look for evidence of the receiver being re-welded. Back in the 80's and 90's a lot of de-milled receivers were cut and then re-welded. If it is a CMP rifle with certification it won't be a re-weld.

Check to see if there are any cartouches (stamps in the wood). Sometimes an original stock can me worth more than a thousand dollars by itself. But beware, many folks know this and there are many fake stamped stock on the market.

Is it WWII era or Korean war era?

Is the barrel original to the rifle? Original WWII barrel in good shape increase the value of the rifle. Have the throat and erosion gauged. this can be a big determining factor.

I have 2 m1's both from the cmp. I was thinking of selling 1 but want to keep the more valuable of the 2. both are springfields one had a 51000 ser number with a cmp new stock. the other is a 4,000,000 ser number but has what looks to be original stock #125 on the bottom it has the crossed cannon chartruse and JAS. Any help would be appreciated i can also post pics.