Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

M1 Garand - How to determine value/collectability?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by duncan, Jan 23, 2016.

1. duncan

duncan Salem,Or Member

Friend just dropped off a M1 Garand for safekeeping and storage. The guy is interested in if it's collectible and possibly valuable. I think he was hinting around about a trade/sale between he and I - so I thought I'd check it out.

Thoughts and Ideas on where I should start would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

First thing would be to take it apart and record all of the part numbers and note what condition they are all in.
    Most of them have been through an arsenal rebuild after the war and have mis-matched parts.
    Take some pics and post them on here for a better evaluation.

ron likes this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If you have a über-rare gas-trap Garand, you've just gotten the means to pay your mortgage off! :D

CAL30M1 likes this.
  4. duncan

duncan Salem,Or Member

Thank you - I will do that.

5. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Post pictures and answer some follow up questions, and I'm sure you can find help around here...

6. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

As to the M1. I have a couple and if you post a bunch of good pictures I could tell you what you have.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  7. duncan

duncan Salem,Or Member

Hey Medic,

Good point. Thanks for that. He's a brother. I will take some photos and we will see.

Appreciate the heads up and the offer.

8. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

At least the manufacturer and S/N (last three or four digits X-ed out) would be a good start in determining age and possible relative value.

9. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

Who is the maker of the Receiver? Springfield, Harrington and Richardson, Winchester or International Harvester. Springfield and Harrington manufactured the most. Winchester did less and only in WWII. The Winchester name makes it valuable but the quality was rougher than the others. International Harvester are generally the most valuable but not always the case. Lots of determining factors in pricing an M1.

Are there any import stamps? (Blue Sky, Arlington Ordnance).

Was this rifle purchased from the CMP? Does it have a certificate?

Look for evidence of the receiver being re-welded. Back in the 80's and 90's a lot of de-milled receivers were cut and then re-welded. If it is a CMP rifle with certification it won't be a re-weld.

Check to see if there are any cartouches (stamps in the wood). Sometimes an original stock can me worth more than a thousand dollars by itself. But beware, many folks know this and there are many fake stamped stock on the market.

Is it WWII era or Korean war era?

Is the barrel original to the rifle? Original WWII barrel in good shape increase the value of the rifle. Have the throat and erosion gauged. this can be a big determining factor.

Sabertooth likes this.
  10. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Show is over.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. duncan

duncan Salem,Or Member

Nope. Just on hiatus.