JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It looks like S&W is dumping the gen 1 / mark 1 now. A certain, non-supporting of NWFA, NW company has a sale this weekend. As do others on-line. About half of what they were 2 years ago, sub $300.

Not too hard a prediction: Shield 2.0 is just about to hit.

ps. I did not name the vendor as they do not have a support forum. I have purchased from them before and would recommend the company.

I love my shield, my wife and both have one. I can't see how they could make an improvement significant enough for me to want to upgrade.

I sure wish someone would start dumping ammo...

EDIT: A large local "Northwest" retailer has them for $325, but has a $75 mail in rebate for a grand total of $250! Good until June 30th...

Last Edited:
Ginger or Mary Ann? No brainer... Both!

Mrs. Teflon has the original M&P in 9mm w/safety that we both like a lot (and if she wants to shoot .45, there's the 1911).

If I had to be critical, I'd say I'm not super impressed with the trigger on the M&P. I've carried it concealed, and it's fine for that. But if I wanted to refine my target skills with it and put everything through the same hole, I'd be inclined to buy a trigger kit. Hopefully that's been addressed in the new model.

If not, is there a particular trigger upgrade you guys might recommend?

Last Edited:
So I saw this thread and called my buddy who owns a gun shop. He told me his cost on a 9MM Shield is $341.

I know there are specials and program deals but at any rate even the $324 seems like a great deal.

Ginger or Mary Ann? No brainer... Both!

Mrs. Teflon has the original M&P in 9mm w/safety that we both like a lot (and if she wants to shoot .45, there's the 1911).

If I had to be critical, I'd say I'm not super impressed with the trigger on the M&P. I've carried it concealed, and it's fine for that. But if I wanted to refine my target skills with it and put everything through the same hole, I'd be inclined to buy a trigger kit. Hopefully that's been addressed in the new model.

If not, is there a particular trigger upgrade you guys might recommend?

APEX Tactical has various components.
I polished the interior parts and replaced the sear. I like the audible click at the reset point I get with Apex.

One big thing, if you have "grit" suspect the channel, hole the striker block rides in was not properly finished at the factory. You have to drift the rear sight out - warning there is a spring under pressure there. I would do it in a 1 gal zip top bag. Then smooth the channel. And as you'll have the block out, it can be replaced by one with a different geometry, or you can simply polish it.

The Apex sear is on par with the Performance Center one.

There are U-Tuby videos to show you all the steps, comparisons and the like if you get serious about a change.

I've had and carried a Shield 40 for quite a while. I imagine it's possible a better trigger could make it easier to be accurate, but I have always been amazed with how well I can shoot it. A "new and improved" wouldn't matter to me, cuz I wouldn't be in the market. However, that doesn't mean other people won't be!
If I wanted another I'd be tickled to buy at the prices being mentioned.

I've had and carried a Shield 40 for quite a while. I imagine it's possible a better trigger could make it easier to be accurate, but I have always been amazed with how well I can shoot it. A "new and improved" wouldn't matter to me, cuz I wouldn't be in the market. However, that doesn't mean other people won't be!
If I wanted another I'd be tickled to buy at the prices being mentioned.

I wouldn't be afraid of a shield 40, either. First off, it was designed to be a 40 from the beginning so the frame and action are going to hold up unlike some 9mm pistols that manufacturers turned into 40's.

Second, one thing that stands out in my Shield 9, aside from the fact that it shoots better than my full size M&P 9, is that the felt recoil is much lower than I expected. I think it's the geometry of how low the slide sits that reduces leverage. If I was thinking about it, but not sure I'd see if I could rent one at a local range.

I had a 9mm Shield. Comfortable in hand and cycled well. That's about all it had going for it, at least for me. Accuracy was crap at 10yds, had hard time keeping under 12". Shooting the Sig P938 at same range trip, I could cover those groups with my fist. The sights looked like painted dots. Wrong. It's a little white plastic insert that flew out of the front sight by the second magazine. Gone. Filled hole with white paint. Recoil was atrocious, on par with the P938 but bore height made the flip worse. SW makes nice revolvers, but they can keep their semiautos.

Yep, NW armorys website has a rebate deal on S&W polymer pistols, T&J in McMinnville has a deal going on the .380s.
I got the .45(269.99$ final price after rebate) because I have enough 9mms.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews