JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm Performance Center a couple of days ago and had a chance to finally take it out to the range today.

I really love this firearm. What's your experience with the Shield 9mm?

Here's a couple photos of my Shield taken on an iPhone:

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_0404.JPG

and a video I took of a friend shooting it at Mary's Peak..

Last Edited:
I love my 9mm Shield. I am amazed how well it shoots for such a small
gun. I improved it with an Apex trigger, Truglo TFX sights. Talon grips
and Vortex laser.
And then the Performance Center Shield comes out.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Wish I had purchased the PC Shield. Would of saved some money.
And the PC is ported! Nice:D I want one.

Last Edited:
I love my 9mm Shield. I am amazed how well it shoots for such a small
gun. I improved it with an Apex trigger, Truglo TFX sights and Talon grips.
And then the Performance Center Shield comes out.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Wish I had purchased the PC Shield. Would of saved some money.
And the PC is ported! Nice:D I want one.

Interesting. I did similar things with mine. Truglo TFX sights, rubberized talon grips, cerakote paint job, and crimson trace laser grip (no Apex trigger).

I wish the performance center shield was around when I got mine. I would've opted for it since it is ported and has a better stock trigger. Some people say a ported CC firearm is a bad idea but I disagree. The claim is that it causes too much flash in a dark area. The flash out of the shield and G19 I have at night are pretty minimal and wouldn't cause any noticeable disorientation from my experience. I wouldn't expect the ports to make the blasts much worse especially when I see people testing the PC version in dark conditions on youtube. Perhaps you can get back to us on this and verify my claim?

Regardless, PC or not, the Shield is a handy little 9mm. They eat any ammo you feed it, are very accurate, great ergonomics, great aftermarket support, and great overall pistols. I would highly recommend getting talon grips to overlay on your grips. The stock grips are kinda smooth and the talon grip tape will help make a good purchase on the pistol.

You'll be happy with yours.;)

My Shield is a 40. When I first picked it up I didn't really like the grip. Felt long and pointy at the front.
Then I shot it. The strange way it felt in my hand diminished and I have found it to be the most accurate "small" gun I've ever shot.
I'll be hanging onto mine for a long time.

I have a standard 9mm, not PC. Stock, except for the addition of a Hogue grip. I bought it in Nov 2014. Just over 2100 rounds through it. Only problem is that it doesn't like low power reloads. I have to keep my reloads near the top 25% of the chart, or I get stove-pipe errors. Works perfect with factory SD ammo.

I have a standard 9mm, not PC. Stock, except for the addition of a Hogue grip. I bought it in Nov 2014. Just over 2100 rounds through it. Only problem is that it doesn't like low power reloads. I have to keep my reloads near the top 25% of the chart, or I get stove-pipe errors. Works perfect with factory SD ammo.

I shoot my reloads with it. I've always just followed the specs on the powder jug and it works just fine. Sometimes the powder deviates +/- .2 grams. This is with HS-6, hornady, HSM, and pulled military bullets (FMJ/ HPs and 115 to 124 grain bullets). I pretty much got the FMJ specs memorized (6.9 grains HS-6 with 1.125 OAL and CCI primers) I've also shot 147s factory FMJ and HP in it with no problem. Never had one problem with any ammunition except Rogue Defense. One time a round that got by me while reloading and had no powder in the casing (bullet got stuck in the barrel- This was when I first got into reloading and was green as could be).

BTW I broke 3 Crimson Traces on the pistol since owning it. IDK how many rounds have gone through it- several thousand but probably less than 10k (my best guess is about 2-3k). I've had it for about 3 years and have carried it almost exclusively most days of that 3 years in all types of conditions and activities. Crimson Trace took the return for free and exchanged the laser each time I broke it. Good company to deal with. One time when shooting in hotter conditions one of the tritium/ fiber optic rods flew out of the post (Truglo TFOs). Truglo warrantied it and sent me a new set of sights. I have since dabbed loc tite over the sights and haven't had a problem since.

In conclusion, awesome pistol. I carry 124 grain HST hollow points in it currently with the 8+1 in the pistol, another 8 round back up mag in my pocket, and it sits in a IWB wellarmedwoman black carbon styled holster in the small of back. It's got some holster wear on it but boy it is a awesome functioning tool.

I really love this firearm. What's your experience with the Shield 9mm?

I rented a Shield 9mm and did not care for it. It shot fine, but was too large and angular for a pocket gun. Not that much lighter than an M&P9c which holds more rounds in a shorter, although fatter grip. I did not like the Shield magazines either. The 7 round is a bit short and the 8 round is a bit to long for carry. The 8 round takes a wallop to seat properly when reloading with a round already in the chamber.

S&W was going for thin to carry IWB, but there are several competitors that are thinner. I opted for the Ruger LC9s instead. Lighter, smaller, thinner and has rounded corners for pocket carry (in a pocket holster of course) and the Ruger has the better trigger. The Ruger's extended magazine holds 9 and seats the same as the 7 round.

This guy gives an in-depth breakdown of both:

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the input! I wouldn't disagree with any of the points made above. For me, personally, this is my ideal CC handgun. Then again, my experience with firearms is limited compared to most (if not all) of you.

I'm on my way to Mary's Peak Outdoor Shooting area to put another 150 rounds through it. I had some leftover targets from the range I'll hang. I'll post a video in a couple of hours and give my thoughts in-depth.

I really enjoy mine (stock 9, with safety). It shoots far better than I do - but practice will help. I'm still checking EDC holsters and have considered new sights, laser, and grip but keeping things simple for now. My MP older brother, a 1911 .45 enthusiast, praised the Shield which carries a lot in my book.

Sorry for the late reply, we got a little stuck in the snow up at Mary's Peak :cool:.

I'll update the original post to include some photos of my Shield as well as a video I recorded of my friend shooting it today.

@ZacharyKhan

Have you shot it in low light? (dusk, dawn, indoors)

I am curious as to the porting leading to flash.

Thanks,

ps -
I own a couple of non-PC models, one for daily carry, the other I compete with - steel & idpa.
I found I had to install grip tape to utilize the pistol effectively.

@ZacharyKhan

Have you shot it in low light? (dusk, dawn, indoors)

I am curious as to the porting leading to flash.

Thanks,

ps -
I own a couple of non-PC models, one for daily carry, the other I compete with - steel & idpa.
I found I had to install grip tape to utilize the pistol effectively.

I have shot it during low-light conditions and the mild flash was not an issue at all, being it is so brief and minuscule.

I am also going to buy some of the grips they make for the Shield to improve the handling.

I bought the PC Shield in 9mm shortly after it came out and haven't regretted it at all. I carry it in a single clip Kydex holster at 4 o'clock and it simply disappears. Comfortable as can be and I can pull it and have it on target in an instant with the enhanced fiber-optic sights and outstaning grip angle. The upgraded trigger is what the original Shield should have had in the first place. The ported barrel and slide relief cuts make it an amazingly light recoiling and extremely sexy looking firearm all at the same time. And all that for just a hair under $40 more than the regular model. Can't go wrong with it. The other gun I carry is a Sig P938. Totally different manual of arms but one of the premier carry guns on the market. I'd rank the Shield as its equal at about half the price.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews