JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any reviews / comparisons between these two subcompacts? Looking for a subcompact with light/laser capabilities for the nightstand. Currently have the P226 (which I love) as my nightstand firearm, but it's a bit bulky to grab (with separate flashlight) and go downstairs to clear house and/or backyard.
The XDs 3.3 looks like a good candidate adding the Crimson Trace CMR-205 laser-Light combo. The XD has a rail, but the shield doesn't. Just wanted to hear some reviews on the Shield.

Is your P226 without a rail? If it has one, just attach a light. Unless you need a small carry gun and can't have more than one pistol, I'd always suggest a full size pistol with a light attached for a house gun.

People talk about how you laser everything you point a weapon light at, but if its in your house, who cares?

I'd never clear a house on duty with a backup over a full size duty pistol.

76B389A0-3706-4796-BD9B-0D3E4EB47628.jpeg

Has rail (MK-25). Probably perfect for home defense. I may just do as you suggested, but I have small hands (no laughing) and arthritis in my strong hand, so grasping a P226 can be a bit challenging.
I definitely get what you're saying about using a back up as primary home defense, but it is what it is...
I may try mount a light and use a two hand clear method. Definitely need to attend a home defense class(es). Any suggestions??

Has rail (MK-25). Probably perfect for home defense. I may just do as you suggested, but I have small hands (no laughing) and arthritis in my strong hand, so grasping a P226 can be a bit challenging.
I definitely get what you're saying about using a back up as primary home defense, but it is what it is...
I may try mount a light and use a two hand clear method. Definitely need to attend a home defense class(es). Any suggestions??

The grips in pic are much more friendly for smaller hands. Its the E2 grip. I replaced my plastic 226 grips with this grip and its night and day. The thinner G10 grips are also a good option but cost twice as much.

One thing about the smaller guns is they require smaller lights to keep them from being really front-heavy. Most of those lights are just as expensive as a regular sized light without nearly the brightness. Have you looked into the new M&P 2.0 or 2.0 compact? These guns have similar grip angles to Sig while being much more user-adaptable. They are big enough to put a full sized light like a TLR1 or X300.

Here is mine:

BC684E80-42F4-43C8-A593-A863D5A3BCCB.jpeg

I 2nd an m&p 2.0 either full or compact. The small backstrap makes the gun one of the slimmest most comfortable double stack's available. Trigger reach is shorter than the sig and the trigger is far lighter than the sig double action first shot.

Mount a TLR 1 light on it and it costs just a shade more than a new Glock. Unless you MUST have a laser if so get a TLR 2. :D

The shoelds are fine - but fir home defense go bigger than a pocket rocket. Heck - get a Smith & Wesson M&P15 or Ruger 5.56 with Magpul MOE furniture - they cost less than a lot of new pistols - and mount a white light to it. Again I would just throw a TLR1 or 2 on it and call it good. Way thinner grip than even a Shield, 20-30 rounds of 5.56/.223 beats 8-18 of 9mm in a pistol. 5.56 rounds are also less likely to overpenetrate your home and kill an innocent neighbor. Standard cheap XM193 will break up before exiting the exterior wall of most modern houses - 5.56 rounds fragment and tumble because of their light weight and the speed they travel. By comparison most defensive pistol rounds will just keep on truckin because they move too slow to fragment and are far heavier than any 5.56 round available.

I'm not sure I understand. A P226 is too "bulky" for a nightstand gun? The only reason in the world that I would choose a single stack, short sight radius, limited capacity, sub compact, is because I needed to conceal it and didn't have room for something bigger. And there is ALWAYS room for something bigger.

With that said, I have an XDS 3.3...bitone. If I had to do over again, I'd go with the Shield. The Shield handles the recoil a bit better. At least I think so. The XDS is actually pretty unpleasant to shoot. But go find a range with a good rental counter and rent both. Further, NEVER buy a subcompact without shooting it first. Learn from my experience. :)

Can't speak to the 9mm versions, but I've got the Shield and XDs in .45 ACP... The Shield is hands down the better of the two, I find the recoil a bit softer, easier to handle and quicker follow-up shots. The grip on the Shield is a tad longer with the standard magazine, making for a better grip with all my fingers...

The Shield 2.0 is just out in 9 and 40, 45 to follow. There won't be many reviews for some weeks.

I have a Shield 1.0 in 45, the XDS in 9, 40, and 45. Bought the 40 in the last several months.

My 45 Shield is a good gun also with a 3.3 inch barrel like the 45 XDS, but I cannot slip the Shield in my pocket, the backstrap peeks out. All the XDS are same on exterior dimensions, and they will hide in my pocket

The 9 and 40 Shields are a tad shorter and might hide in a pocket.

I'm not sure I understand. A P226 is too "bulky" for a nightstand gun? The only reason in the world that I would choose a single stack, short sight radius, limited capacity, sub compact, is because I needed to conceal it and didn't have room for something bigger. And there is ALWAYS room for something bigger. :)

Well, I scraped the sub-compact route. Now deciding between the Sig P229 and S&W M&P 2.0 9 compact. Both have rails for light mount.
Oh, decisions...decisions

Although the P229 is smaller than the P226, the girth is still there.
Not trying to make things more difficult, however, did you ever consider a CZ-P-01?
I too am considering a M&P9 2.0 Compact.

Not to be calling anyone out, but have you cleared a house before, even in practice?

I get that sometimes it has to be done - use an empty gun, (blue, squirt, 2x4) and give it a try during the day.

Any other activities you may have to do? Say getting baby to your safe room?

A few minutes doing this, may help your decision process on the gun(s) for the task.

Not to be calling anyone out, but have you cleared a house before, even in practice?

I get that sometimes it has to be done - use an empty gun, (blue, squirt, 2x4) and give it a try during the day.
A few minutes doing this, may help your decision process on the gun(s) for the task.

Occasionally, but would like to take a few courses. I'm currently looking into that now.
And yes, very valid points you have brought up.

Well, I scraped the sub-compact route. Now deciding between the Sig P229 and S&W M&P 2.0 9 compact. Both have rails for light mount.

Now we're talkin! :) That 2.0 compact has a lot going for it. Big enough to fight with, compact enough to carry. Good capacity. Great trigger out of the box...but oh so sweet with an Apex Flat Faced Trigger in it. Great ergonomics. It's probably as good as plastic gets from the factory. And that's the real question...do you want a polymer striker or metal SA/DA?

There are no bad choices here. And I suspect it's not a, "which one should I get" decision...it's a "which one should I get FIRST" decision. :D:D

I also have a P229. My favorite handgun of all time actually. It does have a different feel to it than the P226. Again, I suggest the E2 Grip. That 2.0 Compact is a winner and likely 1/2 pound lighter if you plan on carrying it. I carry a P229 quite a bit and my only qualm is the weight.

If you go to a 4 day defensive handgun course at Front Sight in Pahrump they do some 'red' gun training at doorways and live fire in a three room structure, the wife and I have done that twice.
I really see where a light on the gun could work well there.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews