JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the past few years I've been shooting off Lousignont Rd (https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.743793,-123.313036&spn=0.01448,0.033023&t=h&z=16). There are a ton of places to pull off and shoot, albeit they are quite messy (I pick up a bag of trash every time I'm out, and rarely make a dent!).

Anyway, I was under the impression that this was BLM land until this weekend. My friends and I were out shooting, and the OSP came by and told us that it was sold to Longview Timber. He took out a map and showed me that the north side of the road is private land, but the south side (and enough to the west) is all private. I was wondering if anyone has that map that he had? It was a street map with the BLM land in blue, and was quite detailed. Every online source I have seen only has blocks.

If I can't get it online, does anyone know where to find one locally? BiMart didn't seem to have any.

Not sure what he had but go to your county (or the one you are wanting to shot in) website and look up the tax records. I know in out county (small broke one) it is basically googlemap with an overlay and you can find out who owns it and all the tax information on it. I know it is not easy to take with you but will always have current and correct information on it.

I have been watching the encroachment of the timber companies onto public lands for decades. It used to be that the state sold only the timber on the land, but now the state appears to be selling huge tracts of land with the timber on it. In turn the timber companies are stripping all the timber and locking the public off the land. It is totally frustrating...the timber companies even take over roads that lead to public lands and gate it off. At the rate it is going, the public will soon no longer be able to access any land in the state.

Drive a little further up US26 and just after the Clatsop Forest sign on the left is Section 10 road. Drive about 1.5 miles up that road to Salmonberry Rd., and turn right. Camp 5 road to the left has a large rock quarry that is good for handgunning about a mile up, and if you stay on the Salmonberry about another .5 miles to the right is Rock Creek Ridge Road, and about a mile in is another large gravel quarry that is exactly 100 yards deep on the left side of the road...both good places to shoot.

Last Edited:
Awesome, thanks for the help! I've seen stuff about salmonberry road before, but it seemed tough to get to, your description seems like it would be easier!

I'm glad I grew up shooting in the 70's and early 80's. Lousignont was practically our family living room. Actually felt that way about most of the entire northern coast range but Lousignont was a little closer. It's sad to see what things have become. I moved to Washington and hoped things might be better here but theyre not. If I can talk my wife into it I think our next and hopefully last move will be Idaho or Montana. I hate to leave my beloved home behind but I want the freedom to shoot, hunt, and fish a little more. Hopefully there are still greener pastures....give me 25 years then I won't care.

I'm glad I grew up shooting in the 70's and early 80's. Lousignont was practically our family living room. Actually felt that way about most of the entire northern coast range but Lousignont was a little closer. It's sad to see what things have become. I moved to Washington and hoped things might be better here but theyre not. If I can talk my wife into it I think our next and hopefully last move will be Idaho or Montana. I hate to leave my beloved home behind but I want the freedom to shoot, hunt, and fish a little more. Hopefully there are still greener pastures....give me 25 years then I won't care.

If I was a younger man, I would definitely look at Northwestern Montana. I just did a road trip to Rushmore, and the most beautiful part of the trip was NW Montana...Idaho is rapidly headed to being more like Oregon and Washington...you can see the difference when you drive across the borders by the road signs..

Lousignont is in my back yard, that sucks!

I know ODFW has PDF maps with private and BLM designation. Google terrain maps also has shaded green areas for State land. It will probably be a while before the information is updated.

Took the boys out there this weekend, we've been going there for the past couple of years. Now it is posted on Lousignont Rd that target shooting is not allowed. This is a recent change, as earlier this year I had my younger son and his friends out there to do an introduction to firearms session. Is the Salmonberry Rd areas also off limits now? Are we really limited to only Browns Camp?

Took the boys out there this weekend, we've been going there for the past couple of years. Now it is posted on Lousignont Rd that target shooting is not allowed. This is a recent change, as earlier this year I had my younger son and his friends out there to do an introduction to firearms session. Is the Salmonberry Rd areas also off limits now? Are we really limited to only Browns Camp?
A couple of years ago, our hunting party was headed up Keasy Rd. out of Vernonia for our favorite hunting place, and were totally surprised to see "Access by permit only" signs on all the roads that are owned by weyerhaeuser, and found out that you have to pay a hefty use fee to access their land (like around $600 per season). It is very obvious that the intent is to block the public out of Coast Range lands. The best place remaining us up the N. Fork Wolf Cr. just west of Timber off U.S.26. The Forest Service has actually made some shooting clearing and burms out there.https://www.startpage.com/do/search...no_sugg=1&ff=&nj=0&hmb=1&engine0=v1all&abp=-1

A couple of years ago, our hunting party was headed up Keasy Rd. out of Vernonia for our favorite hunting place, and were totally surprised to see "Access by permit only" signs on all the roads that are owned by weyerhaeuser, and found out that you have to pay a hefty use fee to access their land (like around $600 per season). It is very obvious that the intent is to block the public out of Coast Range lands. The best place remaining us up the N. Fork Wolf Cr. just west of Timber off U.S.26. The Forest Service has actually made some shooting clearing and burms out there.
Could you post a cross road so that I can look it up in maps?

Oh, since I posted this a while ago... we have been back up to this section and past the lumber operations, it's still public access. There was a NWFA sign stating this area has been cleaned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top