JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys! Just joined and I'm looking for some help, I need the armorers tool to get the stock nut off of the buffer tube to replace my stock on my M&P 15 and I don't wanna spend 30-100 on a tool I'm only using one time. Any help would be great, if you're willing to loan it for a a small amount or even just let me borrow it that would be awesome! I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, thanks guys!

I don't know where you have been looking, but just a castle nut wrench is usually only around 10 bucks.

I see Amazon has one for just under that, and optics planet has one for 8 bones.

Another option would be to just stop into a shooting range or privately owned gun shop and simply ask to borrow one for a sec. Being in AZ... it's a bit far for most of us NW'er state folks to run one by and postage is likely to run near as much as just buying a $10 wrench.

I would hazzard a bet this won't be the one and only time you'll ever need one, anyway. ;)

SIDE NOTE: If you are only replacing the stock, you don't need to remove the castle nut and buffer tube to do that. The stock will come off the tube and just slap the new one on.

Last Edited:
I don't know where you have been looking, but just a castle nut wrench is usually only around 10 bucks.

I see Amazon has one for just under that, and optics planet has one for 8 bones.

Another option would be to just stop into a shooting range or privately owned gun shop and simply ask to borrow one for a sec. Being in AZ... it's a bit far for most of us NW'er state folks to run one by and postage is likely to run near as much as just buying a $10 wrench.

I would hazzard a bet this won't be the one and only time you'll ever need one, anyway. ;)

SIDE NOTE: If you are only replacing the stock, you don't need to remove the castle nut and buffer tube to do that. The stock will come off the tube and just slap the new one on.
I have to take my castle nut off, but I appreciate the help, most the wrenches I've seen are fairly expensive but I'll probably do what you said and just go to a range or store, it's been a long day and I didn't even think about that. But you might be right, may be better just to bite the bullet just in case.

Just out of curiosity though, cause everything I've found in my research says to take the castle nut off, I've never modded an AR before, so is there a different way to get the stock off? Or is the castle nut only needed to come off to replace the buffer tube?

Just out of curiosity though, cause everything I've found in my research says to take the castle nut off, I've never modded an AR before, so is there a different way to get the stock off? Or is the castle nut only needed to come off to replace the buffer tube?
Only needed to replace the buffer tube. Most stocks.. the lever mechanism you use to lower the stop pin when adjusting the position of your stock on the buffer tube can be manually pulled down beyond the normal mechanism distance and release it past the buffer tube "stop".

Castle nut is just for tube removal . If you are wanting to swap out an adjustable stock ? Slide stock to longest position and pull down stock adjustment latch . Just pull it straight down ( spring loaded ) and slide stock off tube . Installation is the reverse. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS HERE . WE ARE HERE TO HELP/SUPPORT EACH OTHER.

Just buy a tool. There are a ton of tools you'll end up wanting and a castle nut tool, whether you need it for this project or not, is one of the least expensive. I have gauges, reaction rods, a vice, clamps, barrel nut tools, torque wrenches, levels, part specific punches, micrometers, etc etc.... It's like owning and working on a car.

Just buy a tool. There are a ton of tools you'll end up wanting and a castle nut tool, whether you need it for this project or not, is one of the least expensive. I have gauges, reaction rods, a vice, clamps, barrel nut tools, torque wrenches, levels, part specific punches, micrometers, etc etc.... It's like owning and working on a car.
I can definitely relate to that. I'm an auto technician and I'm just starting out and almost half my paycheck (or whatever I can afford) goes towards tools😂 but yeah I think you're right too, after sleeping on it I think buying the right tool would be the best way to go, turns out I don't actually need it though😂

Castle nut is just for tube removal . If you are wanting to swap out an adjustable stock ? Slide stock to longest position and pull down stock adjustment latch . Just pull it straight down ( spring loaded ) and slide stock off tube . Installation is the reverse. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS HERE . WE ARE HERE TO HELP/SUPPORT EACH OTHER.
Thank you, y'all have been awesome, most other places I've asked this question I got laughed at, I didn't realize it was that simple. So I'll definitely be coming back here for any questions I have, thanks again!

If you get the small wrench, wrap some paracord or big wad of duct tape on the handle. When you use it, brace the gun in a receiver block and vice.

I have both and the small wrench take a lot more force and is easier to slip and mar the gun. The big wrench let's you generate enough force easily that you can just lean on the gun and get a staked nut off. The small wrench, not so much.

Primary Arms
Screen-Shot-03-23-22-at-02-58-PM.png

Something else that sucks to learn the hard way is to absolutely put some blue tape over anything you're touching with a wrench. Castle nuts can be dickheads and the tape will a) help keep from stripping and b) help protect from scratches.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top