JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up a Savage Model 99f with a 22in barrel chambered in 308 and need help putting a fair value on it.
From what I found it was manufactured in 1965 I believe and the f means it was drilled and tapped at the factory for scope mount.
Thanks in advance for any help.

60685575-BCBB-4E50-B9CE-DA3ACF10DC76.jpeg BEFB282F-339E-4016-B908-3DFAD687A8C5.jpeg B07F8B04-0688-47B4-A0B2-EC55B974E2BB.jpeg CB18474E-16C6-40D5-A232-2AEF3A66E6C7.jpeg

Firearm values will vary wildly.
We have :

Book Value...
Gun store trade in value..
Internet gun selling site value...
Popularity of the style of firearm...
Time and area of country where one is trying to sell...
What the firearm will actually sell for value...
The firearm's worth in what it means / represents to someone...

All of the above may play a role in what the value of a firearm is.

Where I live I think that the rifle in the OP would sell for around $500 depending on the scope and bore condition.
I think that the rifle is worth more...but one would be hard pressed to get it , again where I live.
Andy

Firearm values will vary wildly.
We have :

Book Value...
Gun store trade in value..
Internet gun selling site value...
Popularity of the style of firearm...
Time and area of country where one is trying to sell...
What the firearm will actually sell for value...
The firearm's worth in what it means / represents to someone...

All of the above may play a role in what the value of a firearm is.

Where I live I think that the rifle in the OP would sell for around $500 depending on the scope and bore condition.
I think that the rifle is worth more...but one would be hard pressed to get it , again where I live.
Andy
I never thought about location make such a difference but it definitely does. I found some good comparisons on https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/savage-99/price-historical-value/used/3#soldData that were recent sales never looked on that site but I compared it to firearms in used to buying and selling and it's not to far off but is a little high I think.

it is my understanding that the "f" denotes the featherweight model. I have one like it manufactured in "57". mine shows more wear than yours but is still in very good overall condition. the one I have was my dad's and won't be going anywhere. yours is very nice, good luck with the sale.

I was
it is my understanding that the "f" denotes the featherweight model. I have one like it manufactured in "57". mine shows more wear than yours but is still in very good overall condition. the one I have was my dad's and won't be going anywhere. yours is very nice, good luck with the sale.
wondering about the featherweight I saw 1 article that said it denotes it was drilled and tapped at the factory for the scope mounts but featherweight makes a lot more since

I carried the .308 last week deer hunting didn't get to lower the boom on anything but it was nice to get it back in the field, it had been a while.

I never thought about location make such a difference but it definitely does. I found some good comparisons on https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/savage-99/price-historical-value/used/3#soldData that were recent sales never looked on that site but I compared it to firearms in used to buying and selling and it's not to far off but is a little high I think.
Some of those rifles listed in the link are pre -war or in a more uncommon caliber....
Both of which will make for a different price than your rifle.
( Not meant as dig at your rifle....you have have a nice one. )

What I meant by location is this...

At one time I had a pre-64 model 70 in excellent shape...but in .264 Winchester Magnum caliber.
Which is somewhat uncommon...and can fetch some serious coin from the right buyer...
But....
Here in Western Washington that caliber just ain't all that desirable , no matter what the books or the internet says.
So I had trouble selling it..here.
I took it to Montana...and it sold for much closer to book value.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top