JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a rifle to givey 11 year old son for Christmas. This will be the first gun I buy just for HIM. His older brother (13) has a Savage 17hmr bolt action so he's anxious to have a rifle he can call his own.

I don't have a 22 rifle in the safe so I figured this was a good opportunity to get one for him (me). That said, I'm picky and I don't want anything in my safe that feels like a "toy" and most 22's feel this way to me (e.g. garden variety 10/22). Instead I'm drawn to "nicer" rifles with wood stocks, bull barrels, stainless, etc.

Also, because we already have a rimfire bolt action in the 17hmr, I'd prefer if the new 22 was a semi auto.

My first choice is the Ruger 10/22 Target Stainless (pic below). I love the heavy barrel! But I can't find this rifle locally and NW Armory can't get it from their disti.

Next choice would be a Marlin 60SS (pic below). I don't know why but I like the idea of the tube feed. I can't find this gun locally (Portland), but NW Armory can have it in a week for $250.

Last night at Cabelas I found a Savage Mark II BGVVXP (pic below). I can't find much info on this rifle; I believe it's a Cabelas exclusive SKU. It's a bolt action (do I really need another rimfire bolt), and it's not stainless (not the end of the world)... But the stock is NICE (love the high cheak pad), it has accutrigger, heavy barrel, and a Bushnell 3-9 is included... All for $364 after $25 mail in rebate.

Given my criteria, is there anything else youd look at? What would you guys do for your son? Where would you shop locally???
Really struggling here.

Screenshot_2014-12-12-14-13-04-1_zpsku8aj0vz.png Screenshot_2014-12-12-08-31-27-1_zpsishcoz3u.png

Attachments

• zoom_60SS_zpsjzdmvz4n.jpe
    zoom_60SS_zpsjzdmvz4n.jpe
    9.8 KB · Views: 611
You'd be surprised how well a 'toy' 10-22 shoots with decent ammo. One suggestion would be to buy a 10-22, and put decent glass on top of it, and shoot the heck out of it. I have the Nikon BDC scope for .22LR on top of mine with a nice set of Tally "rail-less" rings. Shoot that for a while and when you feel like you want more from it, you can go about a crazy as you want. I've done the following to mine:
  • Trigger work by the nice guys at Brimstone Gunsmithing. One of the best triggers in my safe. Had them install the Rimfire Specialties 'wide' trigger and magazine release while they had the trigger apart.
  • Neoprene bolt buffer
  • Rimfire Specialties guide rod and spring
  • Bolt blueprinted by Que
  • Barrel by ER Shaw
  • Hogue stock
  • The scope / mount mentioned above
This way, you can do the work in steps, as many or as few as you need to, to be happy with the rifle.

You could of course order a really nice one, ready to go from Kidd. Not cheap, but pretty fantastic:

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Classic-Sporter-Rifle_p_124.html

As they say, one man's opinion. Good luck and have fun - B.B.S.

Update...

I found the 10/22 Target at Sportsman's Warehouse. They had both stainless $469 and blued $439. Boy is that a heavy rifle! Not sure it's a good choice for the kid. That plus the plastic trigger and guard makes me think I'll pass. Sure wanted to like it!

Sportsman's also had a Savage Mark II BTVS for $429 (pic below). I loved the action, very smooth. But I'm not sold on the thumb hole. Also, by the time I add a scope I'll be into it over $600. That's almost 2x the Mark II pkg at Cabelas. If I'm relegated to another bolt gun, I'll probably go that route.

Still can't find that Marlin. I think I want to touch one before ordering one sight unseen.

As far as buying basic and modding later, I'd be all for that if it wasn't a Christmas gift. I'd prefer to have all set up when the gift is opened (scope, bipod, etc.).

ik3eA9MoK_4k1z5SDFm_zpsxcssdnnq.png

I'll give a +1 to both the 10/22 and the Marlin 60. My first ever gun, was a Marlin Model 60 my dad bought for me (and one for my brother) for Christmas one year. I was 14 at the time and still have that rifle - not only is it a great shooter, but it's got sentimental value. My brother eventually gave me his because he didn't want it any longer - his was a bit more beat up, so I refinished the stock and gave it a thorough clean and lube - and it shot like new again. Mine isn't stainless, but I would definitely recommend it as a first rifle.

I'll give a +1 to both the 10/22 and the Marlin 60. My first ever gun, was a Marlin Model 60 my dad bought for me (and one for my brother) for Christmas one year. I was 14 at the time and still have that rifle - not only is it a great shooter, but it's got sentimental value. My brother eventually gave me his because he didn't want it any longer - his was a bit more beat up, so I refinished the stock and gave it a thorough clean and lube - and it shot like new again. Mine isn't stainless, but I would definitely recommend it as a first rifle.

I love this story... Makes me even more determined to buy a quality piece as perhaps one day my son might be able to feel likewise.

On the other hand, my kid is pretty handy and might like the idea of a project rifle with Dad.

Gonna think this over before pulling the trigger... I am loving the input from the forum.

Buy him a nice 10-22, the scope, and some decent rings. Wrap them all separately, let him open each package. Nice father and son project for Christmas day, mounting the scope. Make sure you have the right allen bits and a little blue loc-tite before the day comes. Sounds like 'making memories' to me.....:cool:

I've been watching youtube a bunch... I stumbled across these and they have me thinking. I know it's different than what I've been looking for, but I really think I like this!

My vote is for a Winchester model 1906 pump.
They shoot .22 short, long & long rifle ammo and are a real hoot to shoot.
Why not give him something that will gain value as time goes by.

28win1906whole.jpg

The Browning SA22 is a super lightweight rifle. Only 4 1/2 lbs.

I have a nice one with a 4x scope mounted on it that I could sell you for $450 I live about 7 blocks from the Cabela's in Springfield, just off I-5

If you are interested at all, just let me know, and I can post some pics of it.

When John Browning was once asked which gun he felt most proud of creating, he said it was the SA22:

us_john_moses_browning_1855_2005_150_years_of_shooting_desktop_1600x1200_wallpaper-335946 (1).jpg

The Browning is also very easy to maintain and clean as the barrel is easily removable. No need for aftermarket triggers and other "improved" parts.
Mr. Browning designed a really good rifle in the SA22 :)

Sportsman Warehouse in Salem has a 10/22 Sporter model right now. The Sporter model has a walnut stock with checkering and no barrel band. A big improvement in looks and feel over the carbine version of the 10/22, although I'm sure it has the cheapo plastic trigger guard.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top