JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
wired said:
..Its one of the guns that removed the passenger pigeon scourge from North America..

I don't know if I'd classify the passenger pigeon as a scourge.. it was an endemic/native species of the Americas, like the Bison.. but way less meat.

I think wired was probably speaking rhetorically... as we so often do here.. I cannot imagine the swarms of those birds flocking across the country. Gotta wonder if our need for pesticides would be so great had the passenger pigeons been left alone..:mad:

wired said:
..Its one of the guns that removed the passenger pigeon scourge from North America..

I think wired was probably speaking rhetorically... as we so often do here.. I cannot imagine the swarms of those birds flocking across the country. Gotta wonder if our need for pesticides would be so great had the passenger pigeons been left alone..:mad:

Yes. It was a joke. Too soon I suppose. :)

Now your onto something interesting. Thats a goose gun or commercial fowling piece. William Ellis is a legit English manufacturer and you might have a little value depending on the gauge. . Whats the bore on it? They made them up to 8 gauge. Its one of the guns that removed the passenger pigeon scourge from North America. Don't drop it on your foot.
Thank you for the information, always good to get a knowledgeable response in such quick time. Thanks again

Your William Ellis shotgun was made and proofed in Birmingham, England, sometime before 1904. After that time it was easy to determine the date of proof from the lettering in and around the crossed sceptres.

The sceptres with BCP mean Birmingham Company Proof and those with the letter 'V' indicate the 'View' - a posh word of a close visual inspection.

Other numbers are assembly numbers, to keep the bits together during the final assembly process.

tac
Thank you, I am printing all the info received and rolling them up and putting in the barrel so it there for all to know. Appreciated!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top