JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nato chamber.. (i hope it would be nato spec chamber for max loads not that its a weak system) one may be 223 wylde i may be mistaken.
i have to disagree whole heartedly on the "brass is brass" statement. even brass within the same mfgr such as starline can have diff strength just from the heat treatment. and grain structure.

i was pretty sure in the case of 223/556 it was the same, just getting ready to prep a 3-4 thousand cases and wanted to know if i should cull some or treat them separately.
thanks everyone.

If it's all once fired brass, I doubt you'll find much variance unless you pick out a manufacturer you don't like.

I tumble everything, then deprime and inspect before tumbling again. Any suspect cases get tossed... Sometimes in a bin for my buddy that makes 300 blackout reloads, when appropriate.

FWIW, all of my brass has been mixed, but I do sort them for my notes (I'm a little overboard with note taking) but nothing needs any special tweaking.

I played around a ton with different weights, with my barrel, I should get the best results from a 66gr, but through all my testing (everything from 55gr to 88) my rifle consistently shoots sub MOA with my 55gr reloads.

If it's all once fired brass, I doubt you'll find much variance unless you pick out a manufacturer you don't like.

I tumble everything, then deprime and inspect before tumbling again. Any suspect cases get tossed... Sometimes in a bin for my buddy that makes 300 blackout reloads, when appropriate.

FWIW, all of my brass has been mixed, but I do sort them for my notes (I'm a little overboard with note taking) but nothing needs any special tweaking.

I played around a ton with different weights, with my barrel, I should get the best results from a 66gr, but through all my testing (everything from 55gr to 88) my rifle consistently shoots sub MOA with my 55gr reloads.
what 55 gn pill are you pushing?
also what barrel out of curiosity?
im pretty happy with rainier arms CHF 18" barrel, i have yet to really test my BHW barrel, and also my sig516 upper.

i hear ya on the note taking. youd crack up if you saw how thick my custom stainless binder is.. not all filled though but plenty of room for notes lol.

getting ready to prep a 3-4 thousand cases

Wait. You've got ~4,000 .223/5.56 cases?

c5513175b0b85cacb1d3620b2eb9c63b.gif

Haha, I'm sitting on about that many myself. Doing it in stages helps, I have about 2k deprimer 2k resized, and a few more primed or loaded.

Here's a sample of bullets I've tested (some just for fun if you recognize the paint lol)

20210526_205627.jpg

The most consistent in my 16" CHF FN barreled AR is the basic:

Hornady .224 / 22 55 gr Full Metal Jacket-Boat Tail Bullets With Cannelure

I haven't built ladders to try my new 10.5" CHF FN barreled pistol, but I sighted her in on Tuesday with factory 55gr and was getting 1" groups at 50Y, without using my full rifle rest...

I read a ton of what was supposed to be best on a 16" with my twist rate, and maybe if I was shooting out to 300Y I could see a difference, but for 50-200, she luckily throws the 55gr Hornady the best

i have to disagree whole heartedly on the "brass is brass" statement. even brass within the same mfgr such as starline can have diff strength just from the heat treatment. and grain structure.
if you have worries about brass same lot and same manufacture then i would never shot any of that manufactures ammo or use any of its brass,

but then i have a FA 17 lot for 3006 that has had about 200 reloads so what do i know...

if you have worries about brass same lot and same manufacture then i would never shot any of that manufactures ammo or use any of its brass,

but then i have a FA 17 lot for 3006 that has had about 200 reloads so what do i know...
You're saying you've reloaded the same cases 200 times?

Not what i said.. I never mentioned the same lot. And i would agree with what you said.
I was referring to say for example starline (a VERY reputable maker) in their .45 acp vs 45 super vs 45 win mag vs 460 rowland. They are all basically the same cases with very minor differences that make a big difference. Yes i known the magnums are longer, but i hope you get my point. It can and does make a difference.
I don't pretend to know every thing about every peice of random .223/556 i pickup at the range.
I do cull ALL the questionable mfgr's. And only keep R-P, PMC, LC, Hornady, WIN etc. So i somewhat know what im dealing with. And then sort all those into batches by maker.

I currently have just shy of 2k hornady 75gr BTHP's, 500 55gr spire points. And some Winchester 55gr FMJ's i wish i didn't buy.. Lol.
I want to try the hornady SS109s in bulk. They are pretty cheap. And maybe smk's at some point. Im a cheapo though so Hornady usually gets my coin.
Also eager to try my midsouth hornady exclusive bulk .264 123gn bthp's i just got. Those are kinda rare.
I got alot of other spears in the fire as well waiting to be forged. :)

Really pushing to get it all organized. And utilized. Using the anger as motivation to get it all done. Not doing any good sitting around!

Dumb question but i gotta ask.

Is there any real problem with this? Are the 556 cases really that much stronger than 223?
Fyi i am specifically talking about mixed range brass.. But it will be sorted.
Will be shooting 75gn as fast as possible without pressure signs. Which was around 2800fps last time out.

Thanks.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top