JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not what i said.. I never mentioned the same lot. And i would agree with what you said.
I was referring to say for example starline (a VERY reputable maker) in their .45 acp vs 45 super vs 45 win mag vs 460 rowland. They are all basically the same cases with very minor differences that make a big difference. Yes i known the magnums are longer, but i hope you get my point. It can and does make a difference.
I don't pretend to know every thing about every peice of random .223/556 i pickup at the range.
I do cull ALL the questionable mfgr's. And only keep R-P, PMC, LC, Hornady, WIN etc. So i somewhat know what im dealing with. And then sort all those into batches by maker.

I currently have just shy of 2k hornady 75gr BTHP's, 500 55gr spire points. And some Winchester 55gr FMJ's i wish i didn't buy.. Lol.
I want to try the hornady SS109s in bulk. They are pretty cheap. And maybe smk's at some point. Im a cheapo though so Hornady usually gets my coin.
Also eager to try my midsouth hornady exclusive bulk .264 123gn bthp's i just got. Those are kinda rare.
I got alot of other spears in the fire as well waiting to be forged. :)

Really pushing to get it all organized. And utilized. Using the anger as motivation to get it all done. Not doing any good sitting around!
again 45 acp 45 super etc are dimensionally different 223vs 556 was about SAMI pressure vs NATO more then the brass

again 45 acp 45 super etc are dimensionally different 223vs 556 was about SAMI pressure vs NATO more then the brass
I knew they are but what am i? :p
No offense but these are all points I've made previously. I even mentioned the cases are dimensionally different. I guess your missing my point. Which is to the heart of this thread.
Which is about similar cases and different pressures.

Im not here to throw shade i like input, but lets stay on topic please. (I cant believe i of all people said that, mr A.D.D. himself)

That ultimate reloader video was good to rewatch kinda was exactly what i was looking for. But.. Im not 100% sure i will take his advice at the end of the video. Ill have to think about it more.
But then that's PRECISELY why i started this thread. I'm inclined to agree with him, but i don't want to! Lol.

Last Edited:
Dumb question but i gotta ask.

Is there any real problem with this? Are the 556 cases really that much stronger than 223?
Fyi i am specifically talking about mixed range brass.. But it will be sorted.
Will be shooting 75gn as fast as possible without pressure signs. Which was around 2800fps last time out.

Thanks.
I've been reloading commercial and NATO .223/5.56 for over 40 years mixing the two and there have been zero issues. I keep the charge and velocities around 3,200 fps with a 55 grain bullet, which is the original loading for 5.56 NATO. I've also weighed both on a scale and found no discernible difference in weight between the two with most manufacturers. Once I weighed a few Federal cases and they were slightly heavier than a couple NATO cases. While there are those that claim the differences are significant the differences are a few thousandths at best and well within SAAMI dimensions for the two IMO. I think any problems experienced by anyone were a result of something like a very tight chamber on one end and a cartridge on the big end using a heavy bullet driven too fast. During those years I've used a set of RCBS .223 dies and shot my ammunition through numerous AR15's, a Robinson Arms M96 Expeditionary rifle, a Sterling AR180, a HK33 clone, Mini 14, a Cooper bolt rifle and a few I've probably forgotten. The only issue I've had is some split necks and that was (in my opinion) because some cases were reloaded several times and I just got into annealing the other year.

I've been reloading commercial and NATO .223/5.56 for over 40 years mixing the two and there have been zero issues. I keep the charge and velocities around 3,200 fps with a 55 grain bullet, which is the original loading for 5.56 NATO. I've also weighed both on a scale and found no discernible difference in weight between the two with most manufacturers. Once I weighed a few Federal cases and they were slightly heavier than a couple NATO cases. While there are those that claim the differences are significant the differences are a few thousandths at best and well within SAAMI dimensions for the two IMO. I think any problems experienced by anyone were a result of something like a very tight chamber on one end and a cartridge on the big end using a heavy bullet driven too fast. During those years I've used a set of RCBS .223 dies and shot my ammunition through numerous AR15's, a Robinson Arms M96 Expeditionary rifle, a Sterling AR180, a HK33 clone, Mini 14, a Cooper bolt rifle and a few I've probably forgotten. The only issue I've had is some split necks and that was (in my opinion) because some cases were reloaded several times and I just got into annealing the other year.
thanks for taking the time to write that up. EXACTLY the kinda input i was hoping for. And exactly what i expected/suspected.

Not to say i don't want to hear experience to the contrary if anyone has any. That's also EXACTLY the kind of posts im looking for lol.

I have reloaded 223/556 for competition for many years. I use 223 Rem. RCBS Full Length dies.
LC or commercial brass works fine as long as you bump the shoulder back to what a new factory
ammo measures. I use a RCBS Precession Mic for measuring the sized brass. I consistently get
half the group size using Winchester over LC brass. I save my LC brass for plinking/practice
rounds. My most accurate reloads components are Winchester brass, 77 SMK and VV N140.
I shoot these reloads out of several different AR barrel twist rates. 1/7 , 1/8 or 1/9. The 77 SMK
bullets only like the 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate. Sierra 52 or 53 Match Kings with W 748 powder yield
sub MOA groups in any twist rate!
Good 223 loading info
1622207283182.png

Last Edited:
I consistently get
half the group size using Winchester over LC brass
Good post TY!
I do have a decent amount of mixed Win brass. I have tested S&B against the FC brass so far, and deburred flash holes against non D.B. flash holes. But i didnt uniform primer pockets. There basically was no difference.
I am looking forward to testing more brass against others in a somewhat scientific method of reloading. Good pointers are always appreciated!

I too am looking for my MOST accurate loads with cheaper components. I will try SMK's one day or ABLR's but i cant for now. id prefer to get a few decent loads and then basically load up ALL this ammo into a decent pile ready to go.
But i will have plinker/fouler/sighting loads and then a higher tier of quality ammo.
I have around 900 win 55 fmj's
And 500 Hornady 55gn spire points as well.
In also love the heavier rounds because obviously they use a little less powder as well. Gotta pinch those pennies.. ;)

Don't waste your time with FC brass. Lucky to get one reload out of them before primer pockets get loose.
I run all my brass through a primer pocket uniformer. Main reason when shooting a semi auto is to prevent
a slam fire from a high primer. Many powders and will work well with 55 grain bullets. Now a days you got
to "run what you brung". Powder and bullet selection very limited. Have fun.
1622246284109.png

Don't waste your time with FC brass. Lucky to get one reload out of them before primer pockets get loose.
I run all my brass through a primer pocket uniformer. Main reason when shooting a semi auto is to prevent
a slam fire from a high primer. Many powders and will work well with 55 grain bullets. Now a days you got
View attachment 894201
Wow nice "cutaway" demo model! Is that yours? Sheesh.
Well that's a real bummer to hear. I had a thousand rounds of that FC all the same lot# too, bought new years ago. Figured they would be real good. But i also recently acquired through purchase of a huge lot of reloading supplies from someone on here at least a thousand LC cases.

I don't really get how FC and LC can be all that different, as i understand it Federal owns the LC plant don't they? Maybe I'm mistaken.

I just finished tumbling my first ever reloads around 150 -200 S&B and FC cases ill check the primer pockets here soon. I know some where pretty high in pressure and starting to show some primer cratering.
I wish i had one of those fancy XXI primer pocket go no go gauges.

I don't really get how FC and LC can be all that different, as i understand it Federal owns the LC plant don't they? Maybe I'm mistaken.
Google it. Lots of discussions about FC brass. Some say certain lots might work OK .

The 5.56 pressure spec IS different, but the .mil spec measuring method is also a little different. Having said that, all my rifles are 5.56, even the bolt guns, so who worries?

View attachment 894201
Well this is CRAP to hear! I'm sizing and running primer pockets through a swager, and there's a LOT of FC brass in the mix!

Well this is CRAP to hear! I'm sizing and running primer pockets through a swager, and there's a LOT of FC brass in the mix!
I hear ya. I got a decent supply myself. Was near $400 new for a case. I wish i knew back then. That was probably nearly 8 years ago now though. Bummer.

There MAY be some loads i only shoot once or twice though. So i may still use them. Like those cheapo 55gr stuff. And i should already have a load worked up.
Im almost ready to try repriming the FC cases on their third loading, ill try and report back. I guess there's really only one true way to find out.

The 5.56 pressure spec IS different, but the .mil spec measuring method is also a little different. Having said that, all my rifles are 5.56, even the bolt guns, so who worries?
Threads more about the brass rather than the chamber.
I hope people would know what they are doing and not shooting 556 pressures out of 223 chambers.
I also ONLY will ever buy 9310 bolts too which are stronger than the cheaper carpenter 158 bolts. I pay attention to the little things.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads