JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw the thread about WA, but what about OR? Sometimes I put mine in the center console, is that ok? And at work I leave it in my car, in the center console. I asked the McMinnville PD about a loaded shotgun or AR in a Police style locking gun rack and he a Sargent said with a CHL it was ok. With that, it would not be concealed though, nor a handgun. I hate laws.

If you have a permit it is OK to put in the consol while driving or parked. If you do not have a permit it is OK to lock it in a consol or glovebox.

I would however recomend getting a small lockable box for it when not in the car as to not let it fall into the wrong hands. It would also be best to separate the ammo from the gun when away from the vehicle for extended times.

You can carry the handgun without a permit if it is in plain site and not under seat etc. I believe without the permit it is not lawful to carry in car loaded either. I think it is OK to have long guns loaded but the chamber empty but dont qoute me on that.

Also know that even if u have a CHL and you have a loaded firearm in the glove box or center console---if your passenger doesn't have a CHL, then they can be in trouble. You need to carry it on you or somewhere the passenger cannot get to it. Also hope that your passenger is not a felon.....

Also know that even if u have a CHL and you have a loaded firearm in the glove box or center console---if your passenger doesn't have a CHL, then they can be in trouble. You need to carry it on you or somewhere the passenger cannot get to it. Also hope that your passenger is not a felon.....

Never heard that one before. Thought it was whoever had possession of the car.

I once asked a parole officer about a co-worker who is a felon and he said that the key is "accessible". If they are in the car with you, your gun needs to be out of their reach and in your control. But he also told me this is his rule of thumb and another PO may have a different opinion.

Never heard that one before. Thought it was whoever had possession of the car.

I wasn't sure about it either--until I took my CHL class this monday. I suppose the instructor could have been mistaken, but he was pretty adamant about it. I had seen it online before the class though, which is why I had my wife get her CHL too.

CHL has no effect on long guns. You can conceal your long gun all day long loaded or not. (This is not legal advice) Call OFF.

Huh. When I sat thru the CHL class, our NRA instructor - a retired LEO - said the same as you, that a CHL "has no effect on long guns." But then he said the opposite of your opinion, that you cannot carry anything with a barrel longer than 12" concealed in your car unless it's locked, CHL or not.

Seems kinda silly that all us CHL holders should have differing viewpoints on what should be black-and-white law!:huh:

I haven't seen any ORS saying that anything over 12" can't be concealed. haven't seen one saying a passenger in a car better have a CHL if the driver has a handgun concealed in the car. I will have to recheck those gun laws.

If the gun is not accessible to the passenger it isn't relevant if the person is a felon or not. It is all about control. It is better to have it on your person to demonstrate control. This came from the state, county, and local police departments. I was carpooling with someone who had a felony in their distant past. Checked into it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top