JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've done business down in Puerto Rico for many years. Our company also has a field tech on the island who reports to yours-truly. Over the years, we talked about all sorts of matters, and occasionally brushed upon preparations. I recall him, for example, asking me questions on generators at one point. Off hand, I don't recall if we discussed firearms, though it is possible. I recently read that the applications for a firearms license rose dramatically in the wake of Hurricane Maria.[1]

The laws down there concerning firearms are truly obnoxious. You need to apply for a firearms license, it costs $100, and it requires a lot of supporting materials. Once approved, you may own two (2) firearms and total of fifty (50) cartridges. There are exceptions for inherited firearms. If one wants more firearms, you have to get another license (target shooting or hunting), which cost more money, paperwork, and supporting documentation, but allows an almost unlimited number of arms. If you have one of those licenses, and more than fifteen (15) guns, at least 80% of them have to be locked up at any give time.[2] CCW is "may issues" and rarely granted. Open carry is not allowed. Some federally-registered NFA items are legal (AOWs, SBRs), while others (machine-guns, silencers, and short-barreled shotguns) are not. There is no "assault weapons" ban or magazine capacity limit though.

Anyway, as a thought experiment: If one were limited by means, an annoying law (as they do in at least one of the territories), or something else, to two firearms for preparedness, what would they be (make, model, accessories)? And most importantly, why?

Glock 19 and a 9mm Glock mag AR SBR . Neither are good for anything but social work. A pile of mags and a bunch of bootleg handloaded 9mm.

And the ones I don't tell anyone about.

Hmmm, maybe a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun and something I could carry somewhat concealed, maybe a .357 magnum revolver or semi-auto in 9mm or .45. Would depend on what ammo is most available. Some might even say a .22lr of some kind in either handgun, rifle, or both and skip the others.

Guess in addition to ammunition availability, what would my primary purpose be ..... food, protection, both?

Interesting question though.

I'd Move!!o_O

But for the sake of this thread. Hands down a AR which would work for self defense, hunting and to a point longer shots to protect me and mine. second would be a hand gun which I would choose according to the caliber that would be the easiest to get ammo for.

Hmmm, maybe a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun and something I could carry somewhat concealed, maybe a .357 magnum revolver or semi-auto in 9mm or .45. Would depend on what ammo is most available. Some might even say a .22lr of some kind in either handgun, rifle, or both and skip the others.

Guess in addition to ammunition availability, what would my primary purpose be ..... food, protection, both?

Interesting question though.

Your thoughts will change after a certain date not to be mentioned!:p:D

I'd Move!!o_O

+1.

(We actually looked into the island, at least some rural areas, as a retirement location. Years ago, it was, debatably, something to consider. Now, no way. The crippling taxes, rampant corruption, moronic gun laws, and assorted BS makes the left coast look tame by comparison.)

@CountryGent you didn't give us your choices my friend!

Probably an SBRed (and suppressed, if legal, which wouldn't be in PR, but elsewhere) AR-15 and a full-sized revolver in .357 Magnum.* Maybe a M1911A1 in .45ACP instead.

* Totally unrelated to this question, one of the things on our 2018 preparedness to do list is for me and my Smurf-sized sidekick to get in a ton of practice on our "primary" defense carbine and handgun we have selected for preparedness purposes. Fortunately, we are not limited by some asinine law on number of guns, but it is good to get lots of "trigger time" on those. Here is a pic of the AR and revolver selected by yours-truly (and a unrelated single-action that was in the shot when I took it.)

sh.jpg

:)

In this thought exercise do i still only get 50 rounds? Because if so I am going with something like this PDS_12_1.jpg
.44 Magnum Lever and a Snubbie revolver. If I am one of the unfortunates who couldn't get the Kings permission for the concealed license I would obviously get a revolver with a larger frame and longer barrel.

Oh, there is certainly no "hard and fast" rules on the thought experiment. I just used the island as a real world example in which one might be so constrained. Depending on where one is in the world and what economic resources are available, it could vary a bit. I just thought it would be interesting to kick around the idea of a very limited preparedness setup. :)

Parenthetically, I was talking about this with the Mrs and was ruminating on why they chose two down there. I figured maybe one for the home and one for place of business. Then I realized I was attempting to apply logic to a gun control law. Silly me. :s0112:

870 12ga 20" 7+1 capacity
G17 or other 9mm

That 50 cartridge cap would be awefull... half of them would be in my handgun.

12ga would be all I'd need for jungle work.

I'd take a solid AK over an AR for jungle life.

I'm seeing two different camps here. Theres the ...

A. These are my two guns that I can use with my 50 rounds group

and

B. I'm smuggling stuff over from the mainland and packing my basement with firepower group.

I'm going B.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads