JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Winchester wanted to compete with the European shotgun makers so they built the model 21 double barrel and tested it against the to top guns in Europe. Mr Olin used guns out of his own collection and run proof rounds to test the strength of all the guns. The best gun from Brittain ran 60 proof rounds before it broke and the German gun went 200 rounds before it broke. The Winchester fired 2000 rounds of proof loads without a failure then they quit the test.
Such is the legend of Winchesters.

First one I have seen, a 21 in our classifieds but there is one there now. It looks a little rough but you won't see many of these so enjoy.

2528-19.jpg

I got a day of Pheasant hunting on a private club in the bay era a few years back with a borrowed model 21 in pigeon grade. I got 9 roosters and had one of the best days ever. Worked with a dog who was so well trained he knew which of the three shooters shot the bird and would take it and drop it at their feet. Amazing day amazing shotgun. It was a treat from one of my Custom Knife customers back in my Knifemaking days.

Winchester imported European craftsmen to build the 21, when I was young, you could still order a new one, all hand made to your specifications. Off course, they are a fine gun, one of Jack O'Connor's favorites along with a fine Spanish AYA. There are many fine European and American double gun makers, the same quality is available today but as then, they are out of the price range of 99.999% of us. A Purdy or Boss can cost over 100,000, I like a fine hand fit LC Smith or Parker. The problem with most fine makers is they try to also make less expensive guns so the brand is mixed in quality. Not that LC Smith or Parker ever made a bad gun but some are not up to the quality of others. The model 21 was designed to compete with the finest Parker's and had the advantage of the huge Winchester corporation behind it to ensure it's longevity. I don't know who designed the mechanism......would be interesting to learn.......but the quality is derived from a totally hand fit gun done by master smiths.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top