JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been carrying a Taurus stainless snub for years and am thinking of switching to one of the lightweight snub revolvers. Any views on which is best and what my stainless might be worth. Thanks

I have the Ruger LCR in 357 and I like it a lot, carry it outside of pants cross draw in a Garrett silent thunder holster. The ruger is so light you almost forget it's there. I also carry a Taurus 85UL stainless in my pocket with Barrami Hip Grip.
Depending on the condition of yours around $300 is what they usually go for.

I have a LCR .357 as well and will also vouch for how lightweight it is. It is very comfortable to shoot due to the Hogue tamer grip, and has what might be the best double-action revolver trigger. Only downside is the grip is a little wider and grippy texture can get hung up on clothing. For size and weight the best you can do is a S&W airweight, but you have to enjoy pain in order to shoot it, and they are typically a couple hundred more than the LCR depending on which model.

I have a .38 LCR, this summer I've been carrying it in a cargo pocket with a cheap Blackhawk pocket holster. I also have a tuckable IWB holster for it and carry it when I'm dressed up as the rounded lines don't print as much as a squared-off auto. Good little gun, with practice you can get a 3" group at 10 yards.

I'll be adding one more vote to the Ruger LCR (.357). Light and very easy to shoot accurately. I upgraded the front sight to the XS Big Dot night-sight. Huge improvement for me on accurary. I can get accurate rounds on target from 25 yards when I practice. I have an IWB holster and belt holster for variety.
As for your Taurus value... hard to say without knowing the model. Unfortunately most Taurus revolvers sell used for $300ish and LCRs go around $400ish.

I bought a Ruger LCR 38 with laser grip for my wife just after they came out, it has the best trigger pull of any small frame revolver I've ever owned, and they are unbelievably light. I love that gun and want to get one for myself someday when the funds become available, sadly I've been selling more guns than buying these days, but such is life.

This one has had a match barrel threaded on.
A great piece. KINDLE_CAMERA_1378145402000.jpg

KINDLE_CAMERA_1378145402000.jpg

I must confess an admiration for...44 spl snubbies in general. I wish for a 5 shot S&W K frame in that caliber
I actually wrote to S&W concerning that very question.
The reply was that a .44 cal. catridge is so large, they could only make 4 round fit in the K's cylinder.
S&W considers 5 shots the least number rounds a revolver should carry to be practical.
This is why the L-frame was invented.
Sorry for the bad news, but it looks like it will never happen.

...as for the op's question, is there something wrong with the model 85SS that they're carrying now?
Otherwise, it's pretty hard to beat the classic Smith's and Colt's that are still floating around on the used market.
Also, while Charter Arms's past attempts to resurrect itself have produced some of the worst guns ever made, I've heard nothing but positive comments about the guns they're making now......sooo.....a bit trepidatiously, but I'll say it might be worth it to look at one of the Bulldog's.
Lastly, Taurus has brought their .44 special snubbie back, but now its a small frame revolver, so if you're also looking at moving up to a .44 cal cartridge, that might be something to consider as well.

Dean

The Ruger LCR has better grips than the 442/642 J-frames, and a much better trigger. It also has the lock underneath the grip instead of being in a hole behind the cylinder latch. IMHO the LCR is by far the best airweight snub on the market. Dont waste money on the .357 version; .38+p is a proven performer for self defense and will give you almost the same ballistic performance as the 357 out of a 2" barrel, minus the recoil and muzzle blast and blinding fireball of unburned powder.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying about .38 +P....IF you can save a significant amount of money on getting that version. Even if you plan on shooting only .38 spl out of it, the .357 version is a little bit heavier which helps with recoil. Also you retain the option to shoot .357, which even in that short of a barrel does pack a bigger punch, just not as much of an advantage as it would in a longer barrel. Of course, at the expense of higher recoil and muzzle flash. I've found a .357 110 grain hollow point (Winchester I think) that I don't feel any worse recoil than a standard .38 round. More muzzle flash, but recoil is very acceptable. You just have to decide if the price difference (not sure, maybe $80?) Is worth the advantage I described. As somebody who carries a .380 about 80% of the time I certainly would never feel inadequately protected by carrying .38 +P. If there is any way to shoot both, I'd highly recommend it. I've personally never shot the .38 version so I don't know how much different the weight makes in recoil.

I must confess an admiration for the older Charter Arms Bulldogs and 44 spl snubbies in general. I wish for a 5 shot S&W K frame in that caliber

5 shot and K frame............

DOES NOT EQUATE.

Ok, ok, ok.....there is no problem w/ dreaming.

Then....

FreanchModel.jpg

I read it on the internet that the old Charter Arms 44 Special Bull Dog would shoot itself loose in a couple of hundred rounds. True or False?

What do I know? I don't own one.

But YES, they have an appeal.

Think: David Richard Berkowitz and for those that don't remember: David Berkowitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aloha, Mark

Geez, I'm SO sick of Berkowitz being brought up EVERY SINGLE TIME someone mentions the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog!
WHO CARES?!....IT WAS 35 YEARS AGO! Put it to freakin' bed already!
The association DOES NOT make the gun bad, it only proves the owner was mentally unstable!
Give it a rest! :angry::complain:

Dean

Check the <broken link removed> . Same as the <broken link removed> but with an exposed hammer and steel cylinder. Weights ~3oz more but costs ~$150 less than the scandium/titanium PD models. I am not a fan of the titanium cylinders.

My guess is that about 99% of the people who buy airweight .357 snubbies wind up loading them with .38+P. The Magnum versions are bigger, heavier and more expensive than the guns chambered for .38 only, and I dont see any benefit in spending the extra money.

I just bought a new <broken link removed> with bobbed hammer and a "Clip grip" I was first thinking I would buy different grips, but the clip keeps my trigger finger at a more consistent position should I be in a hurry, anyway it is a Performance Center action and it is rated for +P also. I'm happy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top