JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am sticking with 5.56x45, 7.62x51 & 7.62x39, but I have been thinking along the lines of getting a 6-6.5mm lightweight but long barrel upper for an AR to use as a LW DMR too - I have a Ruger GSR as a 7.62x51 DMR and hunting rifle.
For primary stuff I am down to 5.56, 7.62x51, 12ga, 9mm and .22. For me it comes down to time, cost and logistics. More "primary" calibers, the more I have to sock and deal with. I have AR's in all of the above calibers (except 12ga). While my 7.62x51 AR (Savage MSR 16") is set up with a 1-6 and is a great DMR, I can shoot 2 rounds of 5.56 for the cost of one 7.62. For more precision work I have the 24" Bushmaster or a Remington 700P LTR in .308.

I still typically hunt with my Savage 110 Walmart special that I traded a guy for a used chainsaw (about $200 value) and put a $39 Center Point 3-9 mil-dot scope on it since I was poor at the time. This was 20 years ago.......

A couple guys I know are shooting the 6.5 stuff and it is cool, but does not fit my goals.

Unless you need to get past 800 yards, 308 gets it done just fine and is usually cheaper with tons of ammo availability.
Agreed. The 6-6.5mm cartridge intrigue me though.

I had an M1A bullpup (AWC G2A) once, with a tensioned 1" Kreiger barrel, that could do 0.5 MOA with Federal GM 168gr ammo. I could hit an 18" steel plate at 1KM about 50% of the time when I had a spotter, and that was with a 2-7X Redfield hunting scope. So yeah, 7.62x51 will do fine in the right rifle. I doubt I would need to hit anything beyond 500 yards where I live - there just are not that many open spaces - and that would only be if SHTF.

Agreed. The 6-6.5mm cartridge intrigue me though.

I had an M1A bullpup (AWC G2A) once, with a tensioned 1" Kreiger barrel, that could do 0.5 MOA with Federal GM 168gr ammo. I could hit an 18" steel plate at 1KM about 50% of the time when I had a spotter, and that was with a 2-7X Redfield hunting scope. So yeah, 7.62x51 will do fine in the right rifle. I doubt I would need to hit anything beyond 500 yards where I live - there just are not that many open spaces - and that would only be if SHTF.
You could always just pick up one of the complete Aero 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor uppers and drop onto your existing lower. I have heard good things about the accuracy of the Aero 6.5 Creedmoor uppers.

I have a 16" and an 18" .223 DMR-type rifles, both set up as 200 yd guns with 50 gr VMAX loads. They both shoot equally well out to 285, the longest range I have easily available.

I think it was the 18" I took to a DMR class and used 69 gr SMK loads for the day, and got all of my hits out to 500.*

Those dang ARs may be ugly but they can shoot pretty well. Don't like looking at them but I sure enjoy shooting one that's been set up correctly.

*(All my required hits, NOT every single shot=hit).

Currently messing with 6mm ARC build, and it is looking promising. I settled on a load and cranked out several hundred rounds. Just need to find a place to stretch out to 500-1,000 yds to see if it was worth it.

Currently messing with 6mm ARC build, and it is looking promising. I settled on a load and cranked out several hundred rounds. Just need to find a place to stretch out to 500-1,000 yds to see if it was worth it.
Please don't, I can't find brass as it is.

I ended up with and Odin Works 16.1" barrel, https://www.primaryarms.com/odin-wo...ength-barrel-with-adjustable-gas-block-16-1in with a Deadair Xeno brake.

I was debating between the PA 1-10 LPVO and the SwampFox. I ended up going with SF and it arrived today.

You can see how I mounted the bipod stud here, https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/drill-and-tap-rail-section.434693

I will get it bore sighted today and hopefully in the next day or two get a few rounds though it to adjust the gas block. Hopefully the week of Christmas I will have time to get it reasonably sighted in. We are expecting highs in the 20° this week, bbrrrr. I will be running the same 55gr Nosler ballistic tips that I run in my 24" Bushmaster Varminter.

The OD color was originally to identify it and the magazines as .300 Whisper so there was a greatly decreased chance of a mix up.

Pro-tip, if you are are a first responder, LEO, Military make sure to check about discounts, some of them are quite significant.

20221214_124738.jpg

Last Edited:
You could always just pick up one of the complete Aero 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor uppers and drop onto your existing lower. I have heard good things about the accuracy of the Aero 6.5 Creedmoor uppers.
I think their barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage, which many people have used in DMR/SPR builds. These are also profiled to accept the Allen Engineering collar/brake combo and suppressor, if that is your thing.

16" is the length of the Mod H SPR that was used by some of the Teams overseas. They were able to get very good accuracy out of those with the Mk262 loads.

I've recently been looking into all of this myself. There is a whole universe of information just on DMR-type rifles. The lack of parts is kind of frustrating.

I think their barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage, which many people have used in DMR/SPR builds. These are also profiled to accept the Allen Engineering collar/brake combo and suppressor, if that is your thing.

16" is the length of the Mod H SPR that was used by some of the Teams overseas. They were able to get very good accuracy out of those with the Mk262 loads.

I've recently been looking into all of this myself. There is a whole universe of information just on DMR-type rifles. The lack of parts is kind of frustrating.
I am fairly certain that Aero bought BA a couple years ago.

For out to 400 yards, this is what you seek.

18" 6.8 Spc II ARP barrel

Also don't scrimp on the trigger. Can give more details if desired. This has taken countless deer with no issues.

View attachment 1342400
Well I am no longer seeking since I finished the build about a month ago, post #27.

Also that is not what I seek as it does not fit anything I listed in my first post.