JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
***EDIT*** Update in post 27 *** ***

As I consolidate calibers, I am thinking of dropping my .300 Whisper (pre-black out). I only have a few couple hundred rounds for it and rarely shoot it. I only shoot subsonic ammo out of it which makes it expensive either loading or buying ammo.

I am am thinking about barrel swapping to make this back into a .223/5.56 rifle. Since I already have plenty of "standard" AR's I am considering putting a 16" "match" grade barrel to have a super accurate, short, lightweight AR. I do have a Bushmaster Varminter with a 24" heavy barrel and a silencer that weighs 30oz on the end. I love this gun, but it is long and heavy. I have read lots of reports with 18" being a good barrel length, but I am going for short and light which means 16".

I will likely be putting a 1-8x scope on it, I have a new can coming that only weighs 10oz that will also get used with this gun. I would like to have MOS (minute of squirrel) accuracy at 300 yards.

Has anyone ever built something like this? What is your experience?

I am looking at the JP Rifle Supermatch barrel/bolt. Are there other good options I should be looking at?

Last Edited:
16_556_lw_mid_lpg_1.jpg
Might look at a Daniel Defense Mid-length Lightweight Hammer Forged 16" (1.58lbs as shown) would probably work nicely.
Quarter pound difference from the 16" M4 Profile (1.83 lbs)

So many decent choices though. Do a search for RECCE 16"...you will see quite a few.

Edit to add weights

Last Edited:
I went with the Proof 18" SS barrel for my DMR but they make a 16" version. Both are reasonably priced for a top tier barrel manufacturer. I am hammering a dueling tree at 550 yards and have no issues taking it out to 800 yards.

Some other manufacturers to take a look at would be:
  • Kreiger
  • White Oak
  • Criterion
There are a ton of great choices out there and plenty of lists already generated with a little google searching.

So many good barrel options out there now. Same with barrel contours. I'd say you shouldn't have much trouble picking out a good option.

Not downplaying the idea of changing caliber, but have you tried it scoped with supers? It might work fine in the DMR role as is with supers and you could probably get a good trade ratio with your subs for supers

Compass Lake Engineering still has 16"stainless Douglas barrels on special for $300. That would probably perform well in the role.

JP bolts are well regarded. Their barrels are as well but they seem overpriced.

I am aware there are many options, just trying to get some first hand experiences. I was also looking for companies that do matched bolts but maybe that is not needed for my use.

I want to avoid 1:7 twist as the primary round I will be using is hand loaded 55gr ballistic tips. Other than that I either have mostly 55gr mil spec and a bit of 62gr stuff. I am likely going with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist

I do not have any accuracy problems with my .300 Whisper now, it is just at least 3x the cost per round depending on what I am loading. I have never understood the concept of the .300BO with anything other than SS ammo. If you want to shoot super sonic .30 why not stick with 7.62x39 or 7.62x51?

I am aware there are many options, just trying to get some first hand experiences. I was also looking for companies that do matched bolts but maybe that is not needed for my use.

I want to avoid 1:7 twist as the primary round I will be using is hand loaded 55gr ballistic tips. Other than that I either have mostly 55gr mil spec and a bit of 62gr stuff. I am likely going with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist

I do not have any accuracy problems with my .300 Whisper now, it is just at least 3x the cost per round depending on what I am loading. I have never understood the concept of the .300BO with anything other than SS ammo. If you want to shoot super sonic .30 why not stick with 7.62x39 or 7.62x51?
For me I went 300BLK because it was (at least at the time) easier to get a 300BLK to run Vs a 7.62x39

I've had good results with LaRue barrels. I've also had luck with Colt M4 barrels. Both 1/7t, and I've done nothing special in the way of bolt assemblies.

Using quality ammo/reloads is the key to performance regardless of barrel choice. On a good day with Fed Premium 55gr, I've gone 1/2" when I do my part.

A good trigger helps too.

Well the Black Friday sales helped make my choice.

I ended up with an Odin Works 16" medium profile with adjustable gas block for $270, https://www.primaryarms.com/odin-wo...ength-barrel-with-adjustable-gas-block-16-1in

I also picked up a Dead Air Xeno brake for the end of it.

Now I just need to pick up the glass I want for it. There are some newer 1-10 LPVO scopes on the market. Not super excited about any of the reticles. The price on the Primary Arms is hard to beat but the reticle looks really busy. Sig makes one that has a lot of mixed reviews. My goal is to have this built before Christmas since family is up and we always do some shooting, but I am also not goin to rush it.

Well the Black Friday sales helped make my choice.

I ended up with an Odin Works 16" medium profile with adjustable gas block for $270, https://www.primaryarms.com/odin-wo...ength-barrel-with-adjustable-gas-block-16-1in

I also picked up a Dead Air Xeno brake for the end of it.

Now I just need to pick up the glass I want for it. There are some newer 1-10 LPVO scopes on the market. Not super excited about any of the reticles. The price on the Primary Arms is hard to beat but the reticle looks really busy. Sig makes one that has a lot of mixed reviews. My goal is to have this built before Christmas since family is up and we always do some shooting, but I am also not goin to rush it.
What is your budget for optics?

I am sticking with 5.56x45, 7.62x51 & 7.62x39, but I have been thinking along the lines of getting a 6-6.5mm lightweight but long barrel upper for an AR to use as a LW DMR too - I have a Ruger GSR as a 7.62x51 DMR and hunting rifle.
Unless you need to get past 800 yards, 308 gets it done just fine and is usually cheaper with tons of ammo availability.