JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
what would you guys recommend for a first lever action rifle?
i would like something that packs a punch, 308 or 30-06 comes to mind.
also something thats reliable and affordableunder 400.00 if that even exsist. would def buy used and hunt for a good price. think marlin 60 track record, just bigger and badder and lever action. Thanks for any input!

what's the intended use? standard starting point for hunting with lever rifle is good ole 30-30. Probably the most commonly available gun, especially Marlin. You can get lever rifles in pistol calibers - .357 mag/.38 sp and 44 magnum/44 spl..... good luck finding a .357 chambered lever rifle. you can also get them in 454 casull.

if you want one for plinking and general shooting, maybe a pistol caliber lever rifle, especially if you reload. If you hunt, 30-30.

For your price in the calibers that you mention the 99 is the only choice. I've shot one in 308 and it's a nice gun.
If you are willing to think outside those calibers a Marlin in 444 or 45-70 is a great gun. My 444 has taken bear and several deer. I still need to get one in 45-70. Nice guns. Forget the guide gun. Standard barrel is only 22" and very handy so the 18" isn't an advantage but the shorter barrel restricts your ability to burn as much powder as you should and the muzzle break is going to blow your ears out if you go hunting and don't have ear muffs on.

To me, the quintecential lever with a punch is a guide gun :D Mine is 18". I agree if you want to reallize the full potential of the 45-70 cartridge, 22" bbl is best. My 18" is ~150 fps slower than 22" bbl. But, for what I wanted it mostly, 18" is fine.

The question is, what do you want to do with it?

dsc0100a.jpg

Winchesters seem to command a price too high for what they are.... collector value, I guess. Brownings are really top quality, but you won't find one at the price point you desire... most times., I did see a Browning Model 91 at the Clark County show last weekend.... chambered in .30-06, nice clean gun... wanted five hundred for it, seemed a tad hungry, if I'd had the scratch in my money poke I'd have offered $450 and I think I'd have walked out with it. But, I didn't... Browning make them in a number of calibers.. I've got them in .357 and .444 Mag.

Savage also make good ones, in a range of calibers, as do Marlin. Most common, as mentioned, are the .30/30 round, but both offer a number of others as well. You;ll not go wrong with any of the above. BUT-- the question, as asked, is what do you expect it to DO for you? That will dictate what calibers would serve. The .30 winchester is certainly the most common, except in the Brownings.... they seem to go for either pistol rounds, or any number of larger game cartridges. I've seen them all the way up to the .338 Winchester Magnum........

If you want more bunch than a 30-30 well give you I would go with a savage 99 in .308. Several on Gunbroker all the time.
savage01.jpg

Guide guns are great choices. Little less velocity, but just as accurate and very handy. I have mild loads, hotter loads, and then Alaska loads. The factory Remington loads are very pleasant and if you need big predatory protection loads buy some Buffalo Bore or similar rounds. Bullet weights range from 300 to 400 + grains.

Otherwise check out the Marlin 338 Marlin Express.

Eric

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads