JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Leupold or Redfield?

• Total voters
Reactions
So, my BSA Sweet .22 scope gave up the ghost last weekend. One of the reticle lines became detached. Screw it. I'm going for a better quality scope for the ol' Ruger 10/22.

Obviously Leupold is the gold standard for scopes, but I like the reticle of the Redfield Battlezone TAC 22.

What say all of you (and why?).

So, my BSA Sweet .22 scope gave up the ghost last weekend. One of the reticle lines became detached. Screw it. I'm going for a better quality scope for the ol' Ruger 10/22.

Obviously Leupold is the gold standard for scopes, but I like the reticle of the Redfield Battlezone TAC 22.

What say all of you (and why?).

Leupold gold line. Local and lifetime warrenty.

I have two of the Redfield Tactical scopes, one US made in the same equipment as the Leupold and one foreign made. They are both excellent scopes and I would hesitate to buy either again. I really can't recommend one over the other as they both seem to work just fine. Maybe over the years one will become the front runner, but right now they are neck and neck.

You cannot go wrong with either. Leupold is one of the best, and they own the Redfield brand. If anything should go wrong you can swing by and drop it off here in Beaverton. I have both and have not had any problems with either.

Whatever you buy, it's a good idea to get a scope with Adjustable Objective for parallel correction when shooting closer than 100 yds.

I like this scope: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PXVR5C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I agree on the parallax adjustment. I've shot a few guns with that Prostaff on them and like them very much. Very clear optics for the money, and they are solidly built. I have a Leupold VX2 and like it better than the Nikon. I haven't tried the Redfield yet - I've peered through one in a store but it's not the same.

Be aware that the Nikon at the link is rated for .22 and air rifle, so it won't be good for swapping onto a bigger gun later. I don't know if that's an issue for you.

I voted redfield cause I usually put cheaper scopes on 22s, but if this is a gun you use quite a bit then a better scope can be justified.
I figure there isn't much shock with a 22 and I don't go plinking in the rain so why spend the money for that?

I went Redfield in the survey and for real too. I bought the one mentioned by the OP when it was on sale at Midway. I think I paid $100 for it two months ago, I have yet to mount it, so I can't tell you how well it works for me. I have two other Redfield's and two Leopold's, but this is the only dedicated rimfire scope for me. I do have a fifty year old Tasco that is broken for my old JC Higgins. I need to buy rings or a mount for the Redfield.

OK. Thank you all for the replies. I ended up going with the Redfield Tac .22 scope for several reasons. 1) Same warranty as a Leupold- and if I need to exercise that warranty I can make a quick 20 minute drive to corporate headquarters. 2) I like the reticle on the Redfield better. 3) Optics Planet has them for $119.00 brand new with free shipping.

I would not have known this if I hadn't called. The gal who helped me told me that the price listed was NOT $134.99, but $119.00 for the new (not factory demo) model. At this price it also comes with scope rings which I do not need because I already have rings for my 10/22 receiver. (Anyone need some new rings?). Not only that, but she knocked off an additional $5 making the total price shipped $113.00. Nice! Midway USA currently has the same scope listed for $249.00.

I can get rings or a mount one I decide which rifle I will use. I have SS 10/22 takedown with a Picatinny rail and a regular 10/22, but I was considering using my Henry lever gun in 22 Magnum. Choices, choices!

Anyway you did get a deal.

I need some slightly taller rings for a bushnell trophy hunter 3x9x40 I bought used for $25 (although a bit beaten up but totally functional).

Wanted to put it on my henery .22lr but I pulled the trigger and the hammer stuck on the scope - yay, at least it was already dinged up lol.

Good deal on your new scope, sounds like you dang near stole ot from them;):cool:

redfield or leupold, either one would be a good choice. if you buy a standard scope, non-rimfire, the parallax can be adjusted down for a closer distance for $25. most of the time thats 60 yards, thats the factory setting on the non adjustable rimfire scopes.

None. Warranty doesn't cover electronics. Vortex ftw.

im not sure what that has to do with riflescopes listed...... must be a vortex owner thing..:rolleyes:

OK. Thank you all for the replies. I ended up going with the Redfield Tac .22 scope for several reasons. 1) Same warranty as a Leupold- and if I need to exercise that warranty I can make a quick 20 minute drive to corporate headquarters. 2) I like the reticle on the Redfield better. 3) Optics Planet has them for $119.00 brand new with free shipping.

I would not have known this if I hadn't called. The gal who helped me told me that the price listed was NOT $134.99, but $119.00 for the new (not factory demo) model. At this price it also comes with scope rings which I do not need because I already have rings for my 10/22 receiver. (Anyone need some new rings?). Not only that, but she knocked off an additional $5 making the total price shipped $113.00. Nice! Midway USA currently has the same scope listed for $249.00.

got a link to the Optics Planet page with this scope?

got a link to the Optics Planet page with this scope?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-battlezone-tac-22-2-7x34mm-riflescope.html

I called the company to inquire why the price of the new scope WITH the rings included was less than the listed price of the new scope without. The gal I spoke to did not know. She also said the price showing on HER screen was $119.00, NOT $139.00.

Now when I look today, the listed price of the scope with included rings is $129.00. Weird. I would call and speak to them if you're thinking about buying.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-battlezone-tac-22-2-7x34mm-riflescope.html

I called the company to inquire why the price of the new scope WITH the rings included was less than the listed price of the new scope without. The gal I spoke to did not know. She also said the price showing on HER screen was $119.00, NOT $139.00.

Now when I look today, the listed price of the scope with included rings is $129.00. Weird. I would call and speak to them if you're thinking about buying.
That's still a good deal. I bought a 2-7 Revolution almost 7 years back for $99, I've had it on 3 rifles, excellent results I added 2 Nikon pro-staff 2-7s for my ARs they are good as well. Bought a VX-2, 3-9 CDS last spring, it's still in the box, I guess it's my JIC scope

OK! So I received the Redfield scope today and I have to say I am VERY happy with it! Although the objective is 6mm smaller than the BSA Sweet .22 I previously had on my rifle, the light transmission is WAY better with the Redfield! I mean seriously better in a big way- very noticeable.

The reticle lines appear to be etched just like their Leupold big brothers. It has ¼" MOA click adjustments at 100 yards, and you can pull up on the dials and reset to zero when you have it dialed in where you want it. I'm going to set it for 25 yard zero and then use the milspec reticle lines to gauge for 50, 75, and 100 yards.

Can't wait to get it mounted!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top