Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Let's talk about Multi-Tools

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 2A2Dend, Feb 7, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

My apology if this is was posted in the wrong place. Considering the topic, where to put it?

Lets talk about Multi-Tools. I've got an original Leatherman. About 20-25yrs old. Never had an issue. Quality stuff. Another I have, is keychain size. Made by Swiss-Tech. A 6-in-1. Lately I've thought about getting a Leatherman Tread. Not just for the multiple tools, I need a watch band for my divers watch. Anyone have the Leatherman Tread as a watch band?

Another I thought about, the Leatherman MUT. Just how "useful" are they to the AR/M16 platforms?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I Had the chance to pick one up for $139 and passed on it due to other essentials. Wished I'd have bought it. I think they average $180 now!!

3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have a MUT, It is a fine thing but it stays in a range bag and is really pointless because I have "real" tools that do all the things it does. I bought it thinking I would carry it in place of the Leatherman Wave I carry daily (I carry it in my pocket with a clip which the MUT has) but the MUT is a massive thing in comparison to the Wave and has fewer tools. I like the MUT, but it has not been a useful addition to my multi tool collection if I am honest.

I have one of the Gerber short stack AR multi tools stuffed in the grip of my truck gun. It is not a replacement for real tools but its also a far cry better than nothing. That and the Wave I carry anyway is probably better than the MUT for field use.

No experience with the Tread. I have a Rebar, a Charge-Ti, A couple of Skeletool's. The Wave is the one works best for me. I wish it had replaceable inserts for the wire cutters like some of the others do and a better quality steel for the knife blade but those are really my only beefs.

coyotecaller likes this.
  4. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Also a Leatherman Wave fan. It has everything I have ever needed.

P7id10T and coyotecaller like this.
  5. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have a couple leathermans, a super tool, and a cheaper $30 leatherman. I've used there warranty before and to be able to walk into a leatherman store and hand them a broken tool and they hand you a brand new one no questions asked is a beautiful thing.

edison bulb and coyotecaller like this.
  6. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just any Leatherman Store??

7. HarryHaller

HarryHaller Kalama, WA Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I love my MUT, I think it's awesome looking, and feels good in hand. However it does mostly sit in the range bag, and doesn't seem exceptionally AR-15 handy to me.

8. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

So for discussion purposes

Wave on top, Charge, Rebar and MUT in bottom

I really like the little Rebar other than you have to open it to get at a knife blade.

The Charge has a better knife blade than the Wave which is why I bought it but because of the cast side plates it is thicker than the Wave and less convenient to carry. I have thought that someday I might try swapping the parts I like on the Charge into a Wave frame.

You can see how much bigger the MUT is than everything else. If you are pouch carrying probably not a big deal but I carry mine clipped to the top of my pocket. In the same pocket I carry a flashlight and a Fisher space pen so I am getting in that pocket frequently. The MUT is just too much.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    fxdc, 2A2Dend and Sgt Nambu like this.