JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got a law for you, NO NEW LAWS, until we figure out all the current laws that need enforced and arent, and remove the old laws that dont apply. Moratorium on new laws for five year. Lets teach the current ones and enforce those before we keep making new laws every session.

I am a vet and I was never told that because I served that my life would be easy or that I did not have to take care of myself and my own.I wanted nothing and still want nothing from uncle Sam. I had nightmares of being called back on submarines.I would have gone if uncle Sam called except for boomers. I am too old now and diabetic. My luck and work have given me some options and I am beginning to work with the vets in St Helen's on a couple of possible projects. I feel sorrow at how our injured vets are treated and will always support them. The medical and mental need / support should free and easily obtained. This does not however mean that they should set back and expect they will have it easy or free. Life is a struggle and will always be. I do not want to be treated different because I served. I am ultimately responsible for my success or failure.

I dislike the idea for the following reasons:
1. More than 1% of the US population has veteran status. It may be closer to 6%. This would remove $42 billion in income taxes. I'm not an accountant, that calculation is based on 21 million people paying $2000 per year. That's just federal income tax, not sales, state income or any of the other taxes most of us pay.http://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2015/cb15-ff23.html
2. It's a volunteer service (the majority of the time) with inherent risks and benefits that everyone is aware of. Retroactively granting a benefit like this sounds a lot like reparations, which I am also against.
3. I fear that Congress/Senate would exempt themselves and/or first responders as well and disagree with that.

I'm not saying that we can't or shouldn't do more for veterans but I would start with providing the benefits that have already been promised. Providing better/faster service at VA, simplifying benefit applications and decreasing the denial of benefits for BS reasons would be a good way to start.

ALL Veterans never pay any taxes we paid the ultimate tax

The veterans that paid the ultimate tax aren't filing returns.

eagle on guard in Minnesota.jpg

I served six years. It wasn't just a "job", it was an adventure. I signed my freedom away to defend the United States Of America. When I was laid off, all prior liberties ended. No one forced you to raise your right hand. Why should I?

just sayin

I have mixed feelings about this.
It is a volunteer service , one in which I went into with my eyes open to what could happen to me.
Also its one in which I take pride in having done.
So ... If someone wants to say "Thanks" in some way like buying me coffee on Veterans Day , I appreciate the gesture or thought behind it.

But I do not go out of my way expecting something for my service.
I actually find those who go out of their way pushing their Veteran status out for everyone to see as somewhat obnoxious.

By out of their way , I'm not saying a hat , shirt , unit bumper stickers , campaign ribbon stickers on license plates etc ... are bad or obnoxious.
What I am referring to are those guys who have to "one up you" for what they did
( or claimed they did ) while in the service , those who are always blaming or bringing up their service into every conversation or situation etc ...

I do think that for those Veterans who need help be it medical , housing , financial , student loan etc ...
It should be streamlined and with as little red tape and fuss as possible.
Andy

Last Edited:
I don't believe Veterans should be exempted from paying taxes.
Purple Heart recipients, sure.
Everyone else, no.
Veterans made a choice to enlist. They didn't do it for free. It's a job. Base pay, housing, food, medical and dental, and a whole lot more.
One of my pet peeves is when a vet looks for a handout. I've heard vets get pissed at a store for not receiving a discount and challenge the clerk with, "so you don't support veterans?"
I've heard it twice. Both times I confronted them and found out they were pogs that never deployed.

Don't need another special class of Americans.

Sorry gents. Respect all of you who served in combat or non-combat rolls but we DO NOT need the Gov and their knuckleheads overseeing anything like this.

Great idea, but I'd restrict it to state and federal income taxes, mainly because it would be a nightmare for a small business to track and report sales tax exemptions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top