JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or the equally classic :
GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip...:D
Andy

Here's his kid in the throes of puberty..

405DAF05-5616-4402-9201-CAE29773AA98.gif

I will preface my response with the fact that I am NO expert at shooting...

I haven't shot IDPA yet, but I do shoot USPSA and practice it a fair bit, and I have learned that it's far better to get shots on target fast, rather than attempt to score perfect doubles on every target. Like you, I initially scored really, really high cuz I was hitting double-alphas on every target, but was nearly dead-last because my time sucked so badly. Now, I'll take the first alpha and settle for a charlie on the second shot if that's what it's gonna be, and regularly place in the upper third of the competition.

Some pretty quick doubles here, if I do say so me'seff. But I started to lag on targets near the end of the stage (and WTF was that 3 shots on the final steel??? o_O).
My Hit Factor on this particular run was over 4.0 and that was with an even split between alphas and charlies, with one delta and even one miss!
Even with the miss (that's MINUS 10 points!), my HF was over 4. That means that accuracy AND speed wins...
View attachment 749473

So, in response to the OP, I would ask, "How tight is your grip?" Nothing will get you out of recoil and back on target faster than having a good, tight grip on your gun.
And like @Alexx1401 said, focus on just the front sight. No need to line them both up at these distances and speeds. Even with just the front sight, you'll hit the target...
And like @No_Regerts said, learn where your trigger resets, and don't let it go any further forward than that between your first and second/subsequent shots.

I think my current grip is fine and tight. I'm just following others on youtube with a tight and high as possible grip and no gap. What I cannot do is I'm seeing guys on youtube shooting 2-3 shots per seconds while I'm doing at best 1 per second but most of the time 1.5-2s per shot, as I'm taking my time to adjust the aim and what not. :)

I think my current grip is fine and tight. I'm just following others on youtube with a tight and high as possible grip and no gap. What I cannot do is I'm seeing guys on youtube shooting 2-3 shots per seconds while I'm doing at best 1 per second but most of the time 1.5-2s per shot, as I'm taking my time to adjust the aim and what not. :)
If your grip is "high and tight" and no gap/all meat on the grip, then that's half the battle won. Sounds like you're spending too much time/too much effort into acquiring your sight picture after the first shot.

Next time at the range (if they let you speed-shoot there), try this: Acquire your sight picture and fire, then fire again immediately once out of recoil. If you really are gripping the gun tight and properly, then your gun will return to your original hold immediately out of recoil if you don't let up on your grip. The gun will drop right back down to where it was before you squeezed the trigger the first time, or damned near enough to it, that an immediate second shot using only the front sight will land pretty darn near the first one. Try it!

@briant27 Go back and look at this video and pay attention to the first several targets and note how my gun recoils. I'm shooting a SIG P320 in .40S&W with 180 gr bullets. Notice how quickly it comes out of recoil and how it nearly comes back to its original position after the first shot at each target. Is that what you're going for?

Last Edited:
If your grip is "high and tight" and no gap/all meat on the grip, then that's half the battle won. Sounds like you're spending too much time/too much effort into acquiring your sight picture after the first shot.

Next time at the range (if they let you speed-shoot there), try this: Acquire your sight picture and fire, then fire again immediately once out of recoil. If you really are gripping the gun tight and properly, then your gun will return to your original hold immediately out of recoil if you don't let up on your grip. The gun will drop right back down to where it was before you squeezed the trigger the first time, or damned near enough to it, that an immediate second shot using only the front sight will land pretty darn near the first one. Try it!

@briant27 Go back and look at this video and pay attention to the first several targets and note how my gun recoils. I'm shooting a SIG P320 in .40S&W with 180 gr bullets. Notice how quickly it comes out of recoil and how it nearly comes back to its original position after the first shot at each target. Is that what you're going for?

Yes I like how you said "comes back to the original position". That's exactly what I'm trying to do. That means my grip must have shifted during the recoil?

Go back and look at this video and pay attention to the first several targets and note how my gun recoils. I'm shooting a SIG P320 in .40S&W with 180 gr bullets. Notice how quickly it comes out of recoil and how it nearly comes back to its original position after the first shot at each target. Is that what you're going for?

I had to go watch it again. The Sobo-booty was distracting the first seven times. :s0066:

That means my grip must have shifted during the recoil?
Yes. You are not gripping it tight enough. Most new shooters don't, and a lot of shooters that have been shooting a while still don't. Bad habits ingrained early, and all that rot. Don't be afraid to "strangle" it...

You can try this at home with your empty pistol: Take up your gun and stance, and grip it like you usually do (high and tight). Then, apply so much pressure to your grip, using both hands equally, that the gun starts to tremble in your hands. Now, while looking at the front sight post, gently relax that pressure (but NOT your grip) until the gun just stops shaking. This is how tight you should be gripping the gun, all the time you're using it. I'll wager $100 that right now you're gripping it a lot harder than you think you've been gripping it in the past. After a day shooting, your hand should hurt (be sore) from gripping the gun so tightly, unless you already have strong hands... ;)

Last Edited:
Yes I like how you said "comes back to the original position". That's exactly what I'm trying to do. That means my grip must have shifted during the recoil?
Your grip proper has shifted during recoil if you have to reposition your hand upon the gun to again have a proper firing grip.

Me $0.02.....

I shot USPSA and IDPA for 20yrs now.

I'm gonna agree on GRIP fundamentals for action match shooting as odd grips tend to require more practice to perfect and the physical characteristics of a "proper" grip have sound principles behind why it works.

Secondly, not only strengthen the grip as Sobo suggests, but really really firm up the wrists. The vast % of new IDPA shooters and female shooters I have helped have not been using strong enough wrists and were helped by this alone. Wrists should be locked or at least very very firm, w/o locking the elbows if you are using isoceles stance/grip.

Concentrate on NOT releasing the locked grip after the shot. "Massaging" the reset by unconsciously relaxing the grip and refirming it up while working the trigger will pull/push you all over the place.

In action pistol comp, I don't agree with the over-emphasis of front sight concentration. In many cases, depending on the distance, you don't need your sights for the follow up shot in a double tap. At a few yards, or less, sights shouldn't be necessary at all, even for the first shot. The farther out you go the more you will need to slow down and to use the sights. At distances of more than a few yards, but not much past, say intermediate distances, I use the top of the slide as my viewing/sighting plane. Try it, it's fast, and accurate enough to get the job done on a BG or two or three. Anything past 20' and I definitely have to wait for the front sight. Other than that, if your grip/stance fundamentals are good, it's just timing. You get used to how long it takes your handgun to settle the more you shoot practice rounds.

For informal practice for self-defense, it's a bit of whatever works. Try it all... but stop watching videos and go out and spend some ammo!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top