JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Me $0.02.....

I shot USPSA and IDPA for 20yrs now.

I'm gonna agree on GRIP fundamentals for action match shooting as odd grips tend to require more practice to perfect and the physical characteristics of a "proper" grip have sound principles behind why it works.

Secondly, not only strengthen the grip as Sobo suggests, but really really firm up the wrists. The vast % of new IDPA shooters and female shooters I have helped have not been using strong enough wrists and were helped by this alone. Wrists should be locked or at least very very firm, w/o locking the elbows if you are using isoceles stance/grip.

Concentrate on NOT releasing the locked grip after the shot. "Massaging" the reset by unconsciously relaxing the grip and refirming it up while working the trigger will pull/push you all over the place.

In action pistol comp, I don't agree with the over-emphasis of front sight concentration. In many cases, depending on the distance, you don't need your sights for the follow up shot in a double tap. At a few yards, or less, sights shouldn't be necessary at all, even for the first shot. The farther out you go the more you will need to slow down and to use the sights. At distances of more than a few yards, but not much past, say intermediate distances, I use the top of the slide as my viewing/sighting plane. Try it, it's fast, and accurate enough to get the job done on a BG or two or three. Anything past 20' and I definitely have to wait for the front sight. Other than that, if your grip/stance fundamentals are good, it's just timing. You get used to how long it takes your handgun to settle the more you shoot practice rounds.

For informal practice for self-defense, it's a bit of whatever works. Try it all... but stop watching videos and go out and spend some ammo!!!

I like how you said "At a few yards, or less, sights shouldn't be necessary at all, even for the first shot". This is 100% true and I can attest to this because I only need to guesstimate my muzzle at 5yards and can hit very accurate no problem. Move to 10+yrds and I need the sight otherwise I won't hit anything. :)

What @bbbass said is true. That close, it's a point-shoot. Under 4 or 5 yards, I'm not even looking at the front sight. I know from 1,000s of rounds of practice that if I just point my gun at the target (with proper grip) and squeeze twice, I'll hit it fair enough both times. Around 7 yards, I'll look for the front sight. Beyond 9 or 10 yards, I'll actually slow down a little to line up both front and rear sights for the shot, but the follow-up shot is still fast, just not as fast as the close-in ones.

And reiterating what @bbbass said about the wrists. He said it better than I did, but it's effectively the same thing I was trying to say when I mentioned not being afraid to "strangle" the grip. If you are gripping the pistol properly/tightly enough, your wrists will naturally "lock up" (not your elbows!), and that is what will help the most in getting your gun back on target faster coming out of recoil. Now go out and shoot some! :)

Last Edited:
If you are gripping the pistol properly/tightly enough, your wrists will naturally "lock up" (not your elbows!), and that is what will help the most in getting your gun back on target faster coming out of recoil.

Perhaps. Tho I have found when helping newer action competition shooters that "intention" or "concentration" on stiffening up the wrists helps. Especially with those that don't have strong hands. I am left to wonder if I get one of those spring trainers for the hands and practice my "Agripa", if I will then be able to rip off 10rds in the A zone with the muzzle barely moving, like they show on YouTub. ;):)

Now go out and shoot some!

^^^ This ^^^

"Now go my son and sin no more!!!"

Last Edited:
I am left to wonder if I get one of those spring trainers for the hands and practice my "Agripa"
I started using one of these about 35 years ago when I first got into rock climbing and mountaineering, and haven't stopped using them. Great forearm and wrist strength trainer! Just get a new one when it gets too easy on the the old one. This is probably my 5th or 6th one of these darned things. In my old age, I've reduced it down to "medium" tension now... :oops:
GripMaster.JPG
They even make them with individual finger pads/springs, to work each finger separately. I found those to be cumbersome and pretty much useless for pistol training, but they worked really well for finger strength training for rock climbing, though.

Last Edited:
I started using one of these about 35 years ago when I first got into rock climbing and mountaineering, and haven't stopped using them. Great forearm and wrist strength trainer! Just get a new one when it gets too easy on the the old one. This is probably my 5th or 6th one of these darned things. In my old age, I've reduced it down to "medium" tension now... :oops:
View attachment 750133
They even make them with individual finger pads/springs, to work each finger separately. I found those to be cumbersome and pretty much useless for pistol training, but they worked really well for finger strength training for rock climbing, though.

Nice!

This is more my speed:

23487974.jpg

Nice!

This is more my speed:

View attachment 750148
I've used those, too, as they are great at forearm strength training, another thing that rock climbers need a lot of.
It will train you much harder if you take a twisty-sealy thingy (like used to close garbage bags) or a zip-tie and wire that free-floating retainer thingy up tight to the bottom of the spring. :s0155:

I've used those, too, as they are great at forearm strength training, another thing that rock climbers need a lot of.
It will train you much harder if you take a twisty-sealy thingy (like used to close garbage bags) or a zip-tie and wire that free-floating retainer thingy up tight to the circular spring. :s0155:

I think I'll stick with Five Finger Mary and my internet screen. I've learned to switch hands too so I get equal exercise. ;)

View attachment 750133

1600201299905.png

Make it sing!

This thread needs more Lena. I wish just being in her orbit made me a better shooter. Alas, no. :(

My buddy on the far right did so well that SIG brought him back the next month for their Master Pistol class. Out of 25, only seven passed and he was one of 'em. Dude is nails.

Lena_SIG.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top