JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of gear... IF you do not HAVE to have it this season, do not buy it. It is the beginning of hunting season and everything is full price. If you can hold out until the begining of January (save your cash) you can usually outfit yourself in all the same great gear for anywhere from 75-90% off what it costs now, just keep an eye on walmart and sporting stores.

IF your going to buy a rifle to hunt with this year - figure out the caliber you will be buying and buy 2-3 boxes minimum now while they are on sale but also available. I keep hearing horor stories of guys looking for ammo the day before the season starts and it becoming a big issue lol.

^^^Sounds overwhelming doesn't it? I would imagine all the more so for a lone woman. There are too many two legged predators out there, frankly, I would be afraid to go into the wild places too under those circumstances!
Sooo, I suggest,
1. Practice and practice with your nine, get your CHL.
2. Find a local gun club and learn how to buy and shoot a rifle! I belong to Albany Rifle and Pistol Club and we offer a multitude of classes to the community at large. We have pistol classes for women taught by women. I imagine that most clubs and ranges do, also.
3. Find a friend/mentor. I know that this is the hard part and will take the most time and effort! Again, the gun club may be a good place.
4. Find a hiking buddy, should be much easier. BTW, Pepper Spray is your friend, along with your pistol after you are comfortable carrying it. Hiking/scouting = same same!
Maintain good physical condition, hunting is work. Especially when you are successful!
5. As you edge toward success start to assemble your gear. This is a whole subject in itself! Buy the best gear that you can afford, within reason, cheap gear is just a waste!
6. Utube is your very good friend! Everything that has ever been thought of or done is on Utube, including things like, DIY emergency day packs, dressing game and bushwalking skills.
Wow! This list is pretty random, and it's an enormous subject. Mankind has been hunting since the beginning! My brain is tired now, I'm old and have issues with memory and cognitive skills when tired. So, I'll conclude with this,
You can do this. It will take dedication but it's big fun and hugely rewarding! If worst comes to expensive worst consider a guided hunt! Best of luck to you, I think that it's very cool that you want to do this!:) SRG
Thank you very much Sgt Nambu. I'm really thrilled with all the feedback. I know it's a long road ahead of lessons and I am still very excited. I do have a lot of patience and enjoy nature so I think it's going to be a delightful ride.

Thank you all for the feedback thus far. I super appreciate it and will use it. :) Will post questions and feedback as they come!

Welcome to Oregon and the forum!

No hunting advice here - I don't hunt. But...

While we are more gun friendly than IL, we are working our way, unfortunately, that direction. And if you live in Portland, you're right in the heart of anti-gun central. It would be a good idea to get to know the different laws based on your local area. Portland and Multnomah County in general are rather unfriendly to gun owners and are highly restrictive on how and when you can carry, whether you keep your guns properly secured, etc. Someone already recommended you get your Oregon CHL - do it, as soon as possible. The state preemption gives you much more leeway against restrictive local laws - if you possess a CHL.

One last thing - be sure to register to vote. Then, when it comes time, vote pro-gun. It's the only hope we have of stopping this place from turning into another IL, NY, CA, etc.

Enjoy!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top