JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone, pardon if I don't use this uploading of message properly, I've never been on an online forum before. Just moved to Oregon from Illinois because of a job. Had my eye on moving to a more gun friendly state for quite some time now for 2 reasons: I would like to learn to hunt and I am branching my artwork into hand engraving guns. I shoot for fun, own a 9mm Ruger (obviously not hunting gun, just saying that I am not totally unfamiliar with guns) and am respectful and eager to learn. Anyone have a suggestion of a good place that offers beginners classes to hunt or any other resources that could help? It is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest, you take a hunters saftey course for Oregon, even though it's not required for an adult to do so, you can learn a lot from a good qualified instructor. You could also consider joining the OHA, that's the Oregon hunters association.

Welcome! hows it going? glad you made it out to the pacific northwest! if you are interested in hunting i suggest a hunters safety course as the first step. next, what are you interested in hunting? i suggest in the off season doing some scouting around in the woods. also, since this is your first post, then,out of curiosity how did you come to find northwest firearms?

Welcome! hows it going? glad you made it out to the pacific northwest! if you are interested in hunting i suggest a hunters safety course as the first step. next, what are you interested in hunting? i suggest in the off season doing some scouting around in the woods. also, since this is your first post, then,out of curiosity how did you come to find northwest firearms?
Thank you! It's going well. I've only been here a week and have lists of places I want to explore

Thank you! It's going well. I've only been here a week and have lists of places I want to explore
Oops, that sent too quickly. I will for sure look into a hunters safety course. Google will give some results, but if you have a recommendation of where is great to take one l, that'd be great. I live in Portland but have a car and am glad to commute. As far as what to hunt, I will start with what's realistic. I want to eat what I kill, even if I do not like the taste. I won't let the animal go to waste. So it's not about trophy hunting. The idea is to eventually only eat meat when I'm the one who hunted it. I heard about this forum from a gentleman who was helping me with my car troubles at Toyota after I explained to him my interest.

Welcome to Oregon,

X3 on the hunter safety course.

Learning how to navigate the regulations for hunting and angling in Oregon is critical to have a successful day afield. A few of the larger stores offer workshops...here's one:

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=059

Many of the small shops will gladly show you how to do anything related to hunting and angling as well; so don't be reluctant to ask.

I've learned a lot from just going out into the woods a safe distance (safe being a relative term I guess), sitting quietly and learning about what goes on in the forest. Most places are full of life and I have found once I settle in concealed and quiet, lots of critters go back to their business.

The shooting an animal part has never actually been the priority for me.

Right on man. i live near salem so pointing you to a safety course up there would probably be better suited for someone who lives closer to you. i rekon that if u went to sportsmans, cabelas or fishermans they probably hold some sort of safety course periodically. you may consider joining a local gun club too. ive been hunting my whole life and i'll tell you what... eating your kill is the best meat youll ever eat. All of the off season prep. scouting, cuttin trails, practicing your calls, packing your gear up, driving there, settin up camp, trying to get more than 15 min of sleep before opening day will ALL pay off the day you are blessed with harvesting animal. AND THEN the real work begins... dressing it out, packing it out... and so on. i love to hunt. i hope you have great experiences in the future. just remember, be patient.

I've learned a lot from just going out into the woods a safe distance (safe being a relative term I guess), sitting quietly and learning about what goes on in the forest. Most places are full of life and I have found once I settle in concealed and quiet, lots of critters go back to their business.

The shooting an animal part has never actually been the priority for me.
Thank you. Being super new to the area, and not having anyone I know yet that shares the same interest, I'm not going to sit in the woods by my self for hours, considering my ignorance on the subject; I don't have a clue where I would sit. I like to prepare myself, stay safe, hence why I'm asking for suggestions for where to start my journey as a beginner.

Thank you. Being super new to the area, and not having anyone I know yet that shares the same interest, I'm not going to sit in the woods by my self for hours, considering my ignorance on the subject; I don't have a clue where I would sit. I like to prepare myself, stay safe, hence why I'm asking for suggestions for where to start my journey as a beginner.
its okay to go out by yourself. theres no right or wrong place to sit. let someone know the area you are going and when you expect to return. just take a gps and mark where the car or your transportation is and where you last have cell service (assuming you have a cellular device) take your 9mm with you. it'll be all good.

Welcome to the site and the PNW, Yola! There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here that are willing to help new hunters and shooters. Asking questions is encouraged! SRG:)

I've lived here most of my life and still, hunting has been the hardest thing to get into and learn that I've ever had to do (I worked on multi-million dollar hardware/software at one time so I'm at least as smart as the average bear).

I grew up out in the sticks so the woods are like my backyard but that has ment squat as far as hunting has gone - it helps me feel safer though I suppose but keep that 9mm with you and start shouting "can I help you?" When you see anyone, don't let them within 50' if your not comfortable.

Reading
YouTube
Participate in ahooting sports and that MAY lead to meeting hunters.

My pleas for help or preferably a mentor (on a few boards) were responded to with 99.9% helpful forum posts with good info in them but almost no one on one help out in the woods.

This second year, I have had significantly more offers to go out and help to teach me (in the off season), but a lot better then 99.9% is still very few offers. Seems like once you have put the initial legwork into learning the ropes, people probably feel more like they arent wasting thier time teaching people who won't srick with it - it's been rral hard for me and I see posts all the time about frustrate new hunters.

Some hurdles:

People do not want to share hunting spots, they are like gems in the forest and have to be worked at to be found.

People already in general have established hunting partners and mostly are not looking to add another person to the mix. You gotta trust the person your huntin with because they are your backup and visa versa.

There are already hundreds (maybe even just on this forum) of threads that start with "New to hunting, need/want/looking for help/advice/mentor/hunting partner", that a lot of folks get tired of reposting advice (not me lol) on subjects that are asked a lot.

Hunting is expensive no matter how you look at it. Do you have a truck? gun? Sleeping equipment and tent? Boots, binocs, backpack and survival gear etc?

Do you have any woods experience/skills? First aid/CPR knowledge? Woods survival skills? Those things are as important to know about as to how to go about finding and gutting a deer are. (And can be practiced all year round). If you are lackin in those areas, imo, i would start buildin those skills and you will be a long way towards being successful in the woods.

As for places, google map your address and then start to zoom out till you see some green areas. Look for national parks, most public hunting land is there. As funny as it sounds, I'd take the above advice of just driving out to a logging road or forest road, get out and walk into the woods 50 feet and just sit down - you will be amazed at how many critters you will see.

If you just want to eat your own kills, then I would start small amd hunt grouse, squirrels and rabbits. More to find and easier to skin solo.

Best of Luck and all that advice was from a hiker with a gun - this year I hope to get an elk or deer and graduate to hunter:D

Lived in Oregun ( correct way to pronounce oregon) 63+years, hunted and fished for decades. I can only make suggestions, first get a hunting synopsis from Bimart or most anywhere that sells guns. Study it to know all the legal and illegal ways of hunting. Learn times of day, calibers legal to hunt with plus when seasons start and stop.

Also learn our tag system and where to put in to draw a tag. Once you study it all pick a spot close to you that is open to hunt and scout it out. Do it in mornings and late after noon when game is moving. If there isn't much to see then pick another spot and scout it. When you think it's good and see game then that's where you put in for a tag.

Quality of game varies as to consumption. Some is covered with ticks and you may find meat full of worms. Check with fish and game about how the animals are doing in your hunt area before you put in for a tag. Some of the animals have disease and you really shouldn't eat them.

Just before you go hunting take a hunters safety course so it is fresh in your mind when you go into the field, safety first, always.

Also read up on how to prep your game after you shoot it for the best flavor and to keep it fresh. Sorry for the long winded reply.:D

Start it all off with a good set of binocs and a handgun to keep you safe, dress for the weather.

^^^Sounds overwhelming doesn't it? I would imagine all the more so for a lone woman. There are too many two legged predators out there, frankly, I would be afraid to go into the wild places too under those circumstances!
Sooo, I suggest,
1. Practice and practice with your nine, get your CHL.
2. Find a local gun club and learn how to buy and shoot a rifle! I belong to Albany Rifle and Pistol Club and we offer a multitude of classes to the community at large. We have pistol classes for women taught by women. I imagine that most clubs and ranges do, also.
3. Find a friend/mentor. I know that this is the hard part and will take the most time and effort! Again, the gun club may be a good place.
4. Find a hiking buddy, should be much easier. BTW, Pepper Spray is your friend, along with your pistol after you are comfortable carrying it. Hiking/scouting = same same!
Maintain good physical condition, hunting is work. Especially when you are successful!
5. As you edge toward success start to assemble your gear. This is a whole subject in itself! Buy the best gear that you can afford, within reason, cheap gear is just a waste!
6. Utube is your very good friend! Everything that has ever been thought of or done is on Utube, including things like, DIY emergency day packs, dressing game and bushwalking skills.
Wow! This list is pretty random, and it's an enormous subject. Mankind has been hunting since the beginning! My brain is tired now, I'm old and have issues with memory and cognitive skills when tired. So, I'll conclude with this,
You can do this. It will take dedication but it's big fun and hugely rewarding! If worst comes to expensive worst consider a guided hunt! Best of luck to you, I think that it's very cool that you want to do this!:) SRG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads