JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok here is the issue. I am looking for a shotgun to hunt upland game and waterfowl with. I know very little about shotguns in general and I know even less about semiauto shotguns. I own a HD 870 with am 18in barrel and am attempting to sell it to fund buying a semi.

Now I have been told I should get a shotgun that can handle 3 and 3 1/2in shells, has at least a 28in barrel, a synthetic stock (because waterfowl), and 12ga is probably the best size to get.

I have been looking at shotguns and I like the idea of a Benelli M1 or Remington 1100. But I have had many other recommendations made to me by various family and friends. According to you guys, what shotgun meets all these requirements and is also reliable and not terribly expensive.

Help me NWFA youre my only hope.

Ok here is the issue. I am looking for a shotgun to hunt upland game and waterfowl with. I know very little about shotguns in general and I know even less about semiauto shotguns. I own a HD 870 with am 18in barrel and am attempting to sell it to fund buying a semi.

Now I have been told I should get a shotgun that can handle 3 and 3 1/2in shells, has at least a 28in barrel, a synthetic stock (because waterfowl), and 12ga is probably the best size to get.

I have been looking at shotguns and I like the idea of a Benelli M1 or Remington 1100. But I have had many other recommendations made to me by various family and friends. According to you guys, what shotgun meets all these requirements and is also reliable and not terribly expensive.

Help me NWFA youre my only hope.
12 gauge,,,,definitely.
Benelli is popular.
1100 (11-87) is probably the most successful....I can mount these very well.

I think 3" is the practical limit for 12 gauge.
If you need more shot, get a 10 gauge.

My favorite gas system is the Beretta.
Favorite gun is Browning B-80....Beretta guts with a Browning skin.
(Beretta 390 looks similar)
Too pretty for a duck gun though.

Do get synthetic furniture.
Duck hunting is hard on shotguns.

1100 and Browning A5 are the best auto-loaders I've ever shot. Reliability is key. As is ease of maintenance, easy availability of parts and mods.

28" barrel is not a bad compromise between upland game and ducks if I had only one shotgun. When I could afford more shotguns I went with 26" for pheasant, grouse, and huns, and 20ga o/u for quail (fast pointing and swinging), 30" 12ga for ducks and goose unless jump shooting ducks. Not sure what is best for ground sluicing. o_O

Hard to Beat the Remington 1187 with a shorter 26 in barrel and synthetic stocks! That's what I have used for YEARS with out failure! I really like the new Duck Bind Camo version, comes with really good chokes and fiber optic sights! If your budget will allow, A Benelli Super Black Eagle II is one of the slickest and reliable mid price auto's around, or the Winchestr SuperX, good reliable system, and supposed to be the fastest shot gun on the planet! I have used the Benelli Super Vinci, and it's pretty slick and unique, but the price tag is pretty steep and in my opinion, just not worth all that! But boy does it shoot, and it feels and fits like a dream!

i have over 20k rounds through my mossberg 535 ATS.its a pump. i know. not helping. not one problem though. a couple guys i know have the 930 spx and its a BEAST!! my brother has a weatherby semi auto he bought from bimart. he likes it a lot.

I actually bought a Ruger M77 MkII 25-06 at Bimart a long time ago.
Great rifle.
Capable of cutting one ragged hole at 100 yards.

Got you beat... I've bought TWO guns from BiMart. Ours has a very knowledgeable and helpful staff. I even bought two boxes of .22lr yesterday at $2.98 per. Now if they'd just get some bricks.

Mossberg 935 is a 3-1/2" semi auto

If you want to feel recoil of a shotgun let's go out to the range and you can check out my 930 with some 3" shells.

I bought a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl from Gallery Of Guns over Thanksgiving weekend for $350 out the door. After running about 300 rounds through it I can say that it works flawlessly. I know that people say that they are on the heavy side, but it's fine in my book. Ported 28" barrel, fiber optic front sight, three chokes.

Shotguns are like cars, women, and booze. You can get by with a farm truck, a farm girl, and a warm beer. But there come a time in a man's life, that he can afford better. Buy yourself a benelli super black eagle II. In 12ga, 26 or 28" barrel. You won't hurt yourself either way. They are fully adjustable for stock fit. Hard to find used, but very easy to sell used, if needed. And without losing much money. Easiest of all the big name shotguns to clean. 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells. And the lightest of the bunch. The only people that dog them, don't have one. They ain't cheap, but life is short. So, put down that warm beer and go get one. I didn't say anything about the farm truck or the farm girl. I still like both.:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads