Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

LCP or P3AT?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BillM, Jan 31, 2010.

1. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well---my wife got her hands on my old Kel-Tec P32, and SHE LIKES IT.

SO---Time for a new gun for me. I've had the P32 for a long time
    (SN 14XX) and it's worked well. So I'm thinking P3AT. But the little
    Ruger looks sweet---and so far the reviews have been pretty good.

I'm sure some of you have tried both---which would you recommend?

2. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

I don't own one, but the LCP's seem to be hot right now. Talked to a few people who really like them.

3. keltonkrew

keltonkrew TEXAS New Member

I carried the keltec P-32 for years and moved up to the LCP. fits in the same holster as the P-32 and I like the LCP much better.

4. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

I went with the LCP because they were pretty close in price and it looks/feels better made. It has better molded plastic etc.:bluelaugh: Since you already have a P32 I would be tempted to go P3AT to keep things consistent and similar though.

5. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

There are a couple of advantages to the P3AT. I'd buy either. The P3AT has been around longer and has a couple of revisions. In other words, the bugs are out of it. I had one and it was uber dependable. The only reason I sold it was I settled on the PF-9 9mm.

Another benefit to the P3AT is that they seem to be cheaper to buy. Jack at Dan-Dee Sales has sold them for $240 IIRC when he has them. It would be worth checking with him. Check with Jack for availability

6. keltonkrew

keltonkrew TEXAS New Member

I would also say I like my LCP better than my Keltec (although I carried the keltec for nearly 5 years).

LCP seems to have better construction, is more comfortable in your hands and I had less jamming issues. with 100 rounds of the LCP, maybe 2 jams. with the Keltec it was more picky with the ammo and I would have 10 jams or so. Plus the LCP has a slide lock, my Keltec didn't. also, the molded grips of the LCP are more comfortable in the hands.

would I buy another Keltec...yes but compared to the LCP, I'd buy it instead. if the LCP wasn't out there, I'd do the P3AT

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

IMHO the LCP is a much nicer gun and only barely cost more then the P3AT.

8. mxitman

mxitman N. Seattle Member

if cost is not a reason go for the Sig P238, I traded in my P3AT and got a Sig and it's really sweet about the same size just a few ounces more in weight

9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So not to change the subject but has anyone had any experience with the PF-9 or P11 in 9mm?

I need a new carry gun, these are cheap and I wouldn't mind keeping the same caliber.

Thanks for the help, sorry to take the discussion off from your post!

10. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I loved my P3AT for carrying, recoil was massive, never expected that from a .380. Still an awesome little pistol though.
    I bought a PF9 and I would suggest trying one first, my finger hit the mag release under recoil and turned it into a single shot, so had to dump that one. The P11 is a great pistol for carry, the trigger is the only thing to get over, long and HEAVY, but mine was utterly reliable, and wonderful to carry.

11. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Thanks!

12. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

the LCP has a manual slide stop and the Kel-Tec does not. I do have 2 consecutive Hard chrome Kel-Tec's at the Lebanon gun show tomorrow. Price is a little higher at $255

13. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

I have a LCP; it felt higher quality than the KelTecs that I handled. If price was not an object, I would buy a Kahr P380. Really cool little pistol, however you could almost buy two LCPs for the price of a P380.

14. rayc308

rayc308 veneta OR New Member

look a dimondback firearms dont know much about them butthey look cool they are aboutthe same size as the lcp or p3at they look like a little glock

15. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

that sig is really sweet! however in all fairness, it does weigh 62% more than the ruger LCP.

16. Gunner3456

I believe that for the size and weight of the Sig, and for a lot less money, you could carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 in 9mm +P. (I alternate between the PF-9 and a Glock 23.)

17. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

I have both. The LCP seems to have a tad bit more "snap" to it. Not much though.....

18. mxitman

mxitman N. Seattle Member

The weight difference isn't too bad, but the feel of shooting the Sig is just better in my opinion plus the night sights just make it all that much better for me. But thats why they make so many guns cause we all don't like the same thing!

238vsp3atsmall.jpg

19. sprice37

sprice37 Albany Oregon Active Member

Had a P3ATnow have an LCP I likethe LCP better. Feel and reliability, I even consciously limp wristed it and no malfunctionsin over 200rds looking at the -380 or 238 now also for the girl

20. Gunner3456

That Sig is a wimpy knee-slapping joke compared to a Kel-Tec PF-9 in +P for the same size and weight.

How about we stay on topic about which is better - P3AT or LCP?