Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

larch mountain 1500 closed to shooting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by pdxsks, Oct 23, 2014.

1. pdxsks

pdxsks vancouver, washington Member

Went up yesterday to checkout new toy. It was posted no shooting due to construction.

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Bummer - any timeframe given or project contact numbers?

3. pdxsks

pdxsks vancouver, washington Member

I think it is due to building of the parking lot for the mountain bikers towards dole vallet rd

4. Eldon

Eldon Olympia,WA Member

All the signage has been funded by a Mt. Bike club. I can't remember which one but I do remember reading the article on their page.

5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have nothing good to say...:mad:

Throckmorton likes this.
  6. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

What side is that on? I have been all over that place but only shot up there a few times in 15 yrs.

7. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It's the big pit close to the corrections facility. We did a clean up there last spring. They're doing a lot of construction stuff all over that area and they are using that pit. Rain has slowed down progress and now they are delayed. So, things may stay closed for a while. (The bike club is one of the trail groups who are actively involved with DNR and are working on bike trails up on the L1000 road. Also some work going on up the L1500.)

Still, there are other places to shoot up there. Simply drive around and pick a good place that looks safe.

Just don't mess up my deer hunting! Last weekend heard a full automatic machine gun on the next hill over. Must have dumped a hundred rounds in just a few seconds! This will be the last weekend + 5 more week days left in the season for general firearms deer. ;)

8. spectra

Let us know where you are going and will for sure help you out:p oh wait help the deer out:D

Cogs likes this.
  9. 20buellteam

20buellteam Near van mall Member

Still closed to shooting as of today. And it is being enforced. Officer showed up within 10 minutes of our arrival.

10. spectra

What road is that? I used to go up there all the time but never even paid attention to roads:rolleyes:

11. 20buellteam

20buellteam Near van mall Member

I think it is off L 1000

12. spectra

Not even sure where that is:rolleyes: I used to run from one end to the other years ago. We would do night runs up there every weekend when I had my jeep.

13. rockstardrnkr

rockstardrnkr Vancouver Active Member

No Not in washington, fully auto is illegal which means that no one is able to shoot them here.

Kinda sucks about the pit though. There are still tons of spots to shoot though, I thought about going in the next week or so to sight in.

AS a matter of fact, why dont you tell me where your deer spots are and I will be SURE to stay away :p

14. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well, what ever was going off on the 1500 road was faster than a finger can twitch.

I was mostly over on the far East side of Larch Mt. Hunted from the far South end up to Yacolt, all 3 weekends and again the last 2 days of late season. Didn't see 1 buck the whole season. Not even a tiny spike. First year hunting there so I didn't, and still don't, know where to go.

Hopefully, I can do some better scouting next summer and know where to go next year.

Bill

15. spectra

So it is the pit at the top of the hill on the left. Just below the gates to the antennas. Not even a pit to me but I think I may know where you are talking about.

We had a bonfire there years ago in the snow... One night when the freezing rain hit that hill was a great place to watch the carnage.....

16. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I am sure they were just trying to scare the deer to you

Riot and Cogs like this.
  17. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Slidefire will do that - empty a 30 round magazine at nearly the same rate as a fully automatic.

18. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Went up today and lots of people were using the pit, about 8 cars. I saw an DNR officer driving around, dont know if he did anything about it. Anyone know if it is ok to shoot at the pit now?

19. Cogs

If signs are down and equipment is gone, should be okay. (Until Officier Essman says otherwise!) A lot of the construction stuff is done for the winter. Still watch out for signs and any other construction activity. There still may be some trail work by local clubs here and there up the roads.

Peteralexander78 likes this.
  20. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Is Officer Essman's first name Scott?

Cogs likes this.