JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Jackson pit on the L1500, close to the intersection of the L1610, will be closed from May 19 to June 19. No shooting there please. Construction work happening and they usually park their equipment there on weekdays and weekends.

There is a lot of logging going on in the West side of Larch Mtn. Still, shooting is open if you can find a spot. Just not in the Jackson Pit and watch out for logging operations. Arrowhead pit should still be open (that's the big pit just up 1 mile from the L1000 on the L1510).

Jackson Pit Closed.jpg
Bill

The Jackson pit on the L1500, close to the intersection of the L1610, will be closed from May 19 to June 19. No shooting there please. Construction work happening and they usually park their equipment there on weekdays and weekends.

There is a lot of logging going on in the West side of Larch Mtn. Still, shooting is open if you can find a spot. Just not in the Jackson Pit and watch out for logging operations. Arrowhead pit should still be open (that's the big pit just up 1 mile from the L1000 on the L1510).

Bill

Do you mean this spot

Google Maps

Do you mean this spot

Google Maps
Nope. That one you'd have to hike quite a ways because the gate is closed. Just East of that however on, what the map says is the L1500 but really is the L1510, is the big Arrowhead pit where most people shoot. Just a mile up from the L1000 Rd on the L1500. Map: Google Maps

The Jackson pit, the one that's closed, is here (up and over the hill, near the L1610 intersection): Google Maps

At the top of the hill, on the L1500 just before the Jackson Pit, is this little pit (they often have construction rigs parked at it): Google Maps

And if you cruise around and down the L1610 (towards Jones Creek Trail Head), there are a couple places there (construction rigs probable): Google Maps

Yeah, I know, it can get kind of confusing, but, a few trips out there and you soon begin to get to know it. That side of the Mtn is full of trails (4x4, motor cycle dirt bikes and Mntn bikes), and they are adding more. Won't be much shooting places left pretty soon! We're trying to save the places we have but DNR is giving them away to trails... real fast! They would rather have any other kind of recreation there than shooting.

Bill

No, I believe they are all open, except the Jackson pit. It's kind of a 'Hit-n-miss' situation. You just don't know which place is open till you get there.

No, I believe they are all open, except the Jackson pit. It's kind of a 'Hit-n-miss' situation. You just don't know which place is open till you get there.

Thanks i appreciate the clarification.

What needs to happen is just set apart a spot designated for shooting. I lived in Nampa for a time and there was a range that had separated lanes, shooting rests made of wood (different sized wood blocks for restomg against) and trash bins at every other station. I think it would be a win-win-win-win for us, DNR, miners, and other recreational users if they had a free designated area like the one in Nampa.

This was the place: thinking something like this...

George W. Nourse Public Shooting Range

Perhaps some arrangememt could be made with DNR to put together something like this....

Thanks i appreciate the clarification.

What needs to happen is just set apart a spot designated for shooting. I lived in Nampa for a time and there was a range that had separated lanes, shooting rests made of wood (different sized wood blocks for restomg against) and trash bins at every other station. I think it would be a win-win-win-win for us, DNR, miners, and other recreational users if they had a free designated area like the one in Nampa.

This was the place: thinking something like this...

George W. Nourse Public Shooting Range

Perhaps some arrangememt could be made with DNR to put together something like this....
Exactly. So far, DNR is reluctant to do this. But we're still trying. Thanks for the info, jmadd!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top