JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, if there was an individual who was found himself liking the .44 Magnum cartridge very much, but kept thinking an automatic would be quite corking, what would be the better choice?

LAR Grizzly

1280px-LAR_Grizzly_Patr_Portrait001.jpg

It is basically a well-made, M1911 on a larger scale, that is recoil operated, and has a 7+1 magazine. Everything I've read about them is positive, but, alas, they are no longer made, and I've yet to handle one. I have seen them on the used market though. Parts and magazines are pricey.

Desert Eagle

1920px-DesertEagle_50AE.jpg

The other is the Desert Eagle. It is a gas-operated, 8+1 shot automatic in .44. I don't have any trigger time with them, but have handled a few. The complaint about the grip being large is real, but my hands are pretty big mitts, so this is not a concern. They are relatively expensive, but still less than used LARs, at least from that I have seen. Beyond that, I don't know much about them.

I guess I would lean toward the latter, as it is a still produced pistol, and the magazine capacity is (albeit slightly) better. Any recommendations on which one? Thanks friends. :)

Have only ever Shot the D.E. so I'm not much help to you here! That said, the D.E. is a well designed and made piece with good ergos ( if you can actually hold it) and the recoil isn't as bad as you would think! Its a snap to service and clean, and is VERY accurate! Only thing I never liked with the later ones is the "rail" top, much preferring the smooth tops of the early versions! I had one in .357Mag, loved it, but it wasn't a carry piece and I honestly didn't shoot it much! I sold it and kick my self every day for it! Always wanted one in .44 but the prices keep going up, so I havn't gotten one, YET!
Buddy of mine does carry his D.E. .44 daily in a shoulder rig, he is a big fella, and its kind of fitting for his personality!:)
My .02 is to get the D.E. a well known unit with a lot of time in use on it's side, and a well earned reputation for reliability and ease of service, and outstanding accuracy! :cool:

I don't have any real experience in ANY way on this topic, but here goes:

44mag is proven and available everywhere. 460Rowland just doesn't have the history or choice. So...stay with 44.

If given a choice and all other things are close to equal, I would always go with a current-issue gun from a company that is still producing pistols. DE woyld fit that bill nicely.

My hands would never be able to hold a DE, not even a 629 very easily. Good luck!

I own and love my DE in 44. Recoil is very controllable and cost is reasonable if you reload. The 50's that I handled were a bit much with regard to recoil. Never had a chance to try the 357...but my understanding is that it is even easier on recoil but as with the 44 needs full power ammo; which again, if you reload is no big deal.

If you get one, if they have the flat grips, replace them with Hogue wraparound types which helps even more with control & recoil.

Might be stating the obvious, but here it goes! ONE of each and then you tell us which is better! :D

That is one of many things I love about NWFA: all the enabling friends. :D

How 'bout the .460 Rowland?

Neat cartridge, but I just can't add another one to the line up. I had a hard time justifying adding the .44 Magnum, though I am glad I did, as the Model 29 is, easily, my most favorite handgun of all time.

Have only ever Shot the D.E. so I'm not much help to you here! That said, the D.E. is a well designed and made piece with good ergos ( if you can actually hold it) and the recoil isn't as bad as you would think! Its a snap to service and clean, and is VERY accurate! Only thing I never liked with the later ones is the "rail" top, much preferring the smooth tops of the early versions! I had one in .357Mag, loved it, but it wasn't a carry piece and I honestly didn't shoot it much! I sold it and kick my self every day for it! Always wanted one in .44 but the prices keep going up, so I havn't gotten one, YET!
Buddy of mine does carry his D.E. .44 daily in a shoulder rig, he is a big fella, and its kind of fitting for his personality!:)
My .02 is to get the D.E. a well known unit with a lot of time in use on it's side, and a well earned reputation for reliability and ease of service, and outstanding accuracy! :cool:

I own and love my DE in 44. Recoil is very controllable and cost is reasonable if you reload. The 50's that I handled were a bit much with regard to recoil. Never had a chance to try the 357...but my understanding is that it is even easier on recoil but as with the 44 needs full power ammo; which again, if you reload is no big deal.

If you get one, if they have the flat grips, replace them with Hogue wraparound types which helps even more with control & recoil.

Thank you for the details. Much appreciated. :)

I made an 80% 1911 in 460 Rowland. Had a mag extension for 8+1 as well. All the things to love about the 1911 with just a sore hand when you are done shooting it. I never saw ammo locally though, it did not like hollow points.

But you can buy a 1911 and get a conversion kit if you just love the 1911.

Otherwise, I'd get the DE if I wanted something I would be carrying or for defense.

The Grizzly has that 1911 appeal, but parts and support are probably pretty tough to find. So based on that and on the thoughts of the folks here, the DE is probably the better move.
Now you just need some trigger time. Lots and lots of test firing. :cool:

That brings up another good point in favor of the D.E. the factory service and support are really good, not that you would need it, but still! I remember seeing a grizzly once, reminded me of those Coonan 1911s in .357, kind of a funky 1911, stretched and disproportioned, not really an attractive variant! Just my observations, yours may vary!:)
I was really tempted when Jon up at N.W. Custom Firearms had the triple threat of matching D.E.s posted for sale, but I just couldn't see breaking the set, and what should I do with the other two? Still, that was a killer deal!:(

Last Edited:
Given the 2 choices, I'd chose the DE. If the "individual" you mentioned plans on shooting it, think about replacement broken/worn parts.

Right now you could pick up the phone and call IMI/IWI/Kahr Arms (IMI Desert Eagle - Wikipedia) and order a replacement part.

Good luck finding replacement parts for the LAR.

If said individual is looking for fun/cool factor, with occasional shoothing, BOTH are in order for ownership.

My DE 50 is manageable. I have not had the pleasure of shooting one in 44 or 357. But both of those are on my want list! ;)

I vote for the LAR, all but 5 parts are interchangeable with standard 1911 parts and multiple conversion kits available including 45 acp. LAR was still in business making parts last time I checked. TJ's in Mac has a MK1 SS on the shelf if you want to put one in your hand.

I have a Desert Eagle .44 mag and love shooting it.
I reload with H110 on the high end. Heck of a shock wave and light show!
This is a friend shooting my old MK I, I have since got a newer MK XIX stainless with integrated muzzle break, also .44 mag.
Mike.png

Thanks all for the thoughts and notes. It sounds like the Desert Eagle it the way to go. I had Gunbroker listing bookmarked, but I got waylaid by a conga-line of family and business interruptions, and missed out. Oh well, I will search again. Or just contact Magnum Research directly and see what they can do. I'm sort of torn between the black or the brushed chrome, though I am leaning towards the latter. I see they also offer a gold, tiger stripe finish, but I think I'll pass, because even my wackiness only goes so far. :s0112:

P.S. If I am reading it right, it is pretty easy to convert between .44 Magnum and .50AE, which would be neat-o to try the latter at some point.

Alrighty then, I just placed an order for a NIB, brushed chrome, Desert Eagle XIX, in .44 Magnum. I'll give a range report once it comes in and I have a chance to go up to the range.

Thanks to all provided guidance. Much appreciated. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews