JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lab retriever It's been over a month since my dog died I thought that I could handle looking to see about getting a puppy a lab retriever black like my dog I can do it I had a nervous break down over so I drank beer all day not good specially when I got to get up tomorrow it's Monday maybe some time down the road I hope to get another but for now I'm going to have another beer 🍻

I second the motion from Xaevian (above). Wait a little while for the hurt to subside before you get your next dog. You are looking for your new companion who you will love for him/herself, since you can never replace who you just lost.
We still miss all of our special kitties who have passed and they cannot be replaced. When our last kitty who was with us for 16 years died we waited for some time before launching the search for our new fur people. We went to PAWS and found our kittens who are now as special and loved as those who we lost in the past. Kylo and Sally (their temporary names @ the shelter) came home with us, and now Max and Maia are part of our family.

I lost my friend Jake on 8/8/2020 @ 4:31 PM PST - it was one of the hardest things I had to do was to put him down. It was the right thing to do but it does not make it any easier. I lost a bit of myself when I put him down. There are very few times that he is not thought of and I occasionally look behind me thinking he might be there. I never had a child but I have to believe the thought process is similar. He was my friend and companion.

20180419_190319.jpg

I lost my friend Jake on 8/8/2020 @ 4:31 PM PST - it was one of the hardest things I had to do was to put him down. It was the right thing to do but it does not make it any easier. I lost a bit of myself when I put him down. There are very few times that he is not thought of and I occasionally look behind me thinking he might be there. I never had a child but I have to believe the thought process is similar. He was my friend and companion.

View attachment 974344Upload Photos
The good news out of this is that I had a really great friend give a me a four month old border collie. His name is Mike and he has filled some holes. We weren't sure how well he was going to fit in initially. Mike is his own character - for instance he attacks anything to do with water ,, hoses, running water,... even helped to remove a outside water faucet. Mike has been here for almost a year and he has grown on the wife and me. He is a unique character, he is not Jakes replacement, but he has found a home for the rest of his life with us. Mikes is also maturing which helps out a lot. When I think of Jake a tear comes to my eyes, when I think of Mike I have a few laughs and a bit of frustration. Mike is on his way to becoming a great dog but has a ways to go.

20200831_194233.jpg

I always say this. you lose a cat.. your sad.. you grieve..
you lose your dog.. it breaks your heart.

My wife still grieves for her special kitty Ned who passed 5 years ago, and loves Max dearly now.
I know what you're saying, but you can get quite attached to your cat(s).

We lost our beloved Golden Retriever Goofy a little over a year ago, and not a day goes by that I don't have to wipe tears away thinking about him, that dog was with us through some of the best, and some of the worst times in my life! We have other doggies, and they were suffering the loss just as much as we were, so we got a new puppy last December, and he quickly wormed his way into our hearts, nothing better then a puppy to dull the pain of loss!
PXL_20201205_174748903.MP.jpg

PXL_20210514_001421733.MP.jpg

I've loved and lost many good dogs over my life. That they don't live forever is the only flaw good dogs have.
Get past the grieving over the loss of your best friend and know another great friend is waiting for you at the animal shelter.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews