JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
CostCo last night - sale price - set (SET) of knives $13

Any good? No clue - tempted, you bet ... I resisted and got a hot dog instead.

Size - Chef is 8in / Santuku 7in.

Costco Wholesale

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=1222510-847&recipeName=680.jpg

First gut reaction is no because you get what you pay for. On the other hand costco has good products and if they suck a even better return policy.

So might be worth trying:confused:

Spend the money on great blades and you'll not have to buy them over and over for life and have mediocre cutlery...

I bought a Cutco set cuz my mom was selling them when I was making great money and I've never been sorry or bought another kitchen knife. Life long warranty and sharpening - I had someone set a dish on a chefs knife and break the tip off and they replaced it for free.

There are other good brands but the whole buy once, cry once applies to all knives;).

I second the "you get what you pay for". On the other hand, they will probably give you tremendous value at that price and last a couple years.Product description says wear resistant coating, which means they'll probably stay relatively sharp. What do you have to lose at that price?

I have a cuisineart bread knife that has lasted about 5 years and still going strong. Personally, I like high quality kitchen knives made of strong Japanese steel with a balance of good edge retention and ease of sharpening, but they can cost about $100-$180+ each.

Hard to tell from a pic but they look better than cheapo entry-level and they have been vetted by the Costco product evaluators.

Might be a good "stocking-stuffer" or party gift at Christmas, as well.

I've got a drawer full of kitchen knives. Cheap ones, and not so cheap ones. They all work the same in a kitchen atmosphere. Keep 'em sharp, and if they are not Dollar-Tree fall-aparts, they will likely last longer than you.

Would be a good hunting/camping set for taking out to the boonies imo for a cheap General knife set for cooking.

Or maybe not... I carry enough knives on me to outfit a squad lol;):D

My Dad got that set, seems to work fine and they can take an edge so thats good! My Baby Bro put a real edge on um and so far they have remained sharper then I would have thought!
I run H.K. Dick and Hinkel German Knives, they are unbeatable, but EXPENSIVE! Buy once Cry once!:D

Chinese food is known for being pre-cut up for you, everything being eaten with chopsticks.
America is known for Bowie knives.. be a good American.

We own 2 CutCo Knives. One was a gift: The Cleaver ( ducks/geese etc) and the Cheese Slicer.
I highly recommend the latter.

I have a couple of Twins - Zwillilng J.A. Henckels (Chef 8in & Slicer 8in )
One JA Henckels - 12 in slicer scalloped (great for the holiday bird / roast )
And, a couple Wusthof (Classic) (Chef 6in & santuko )
And some off-brand bread slicer which rarely gets used.
We have 4 pairing knives as they get used frequently.

I am in the market to replace a couple of ceramic knives (see other thread)

I think I would have bought the set if I wanted this size. I want 5in santuko & 5in chef-ish mostly for veggie prep
and since I have larger blade lengths already.

I buy high quality knives. Same with firearms. Buy quality and only cry once.
When buying kitchen knives, you are better off buying individual knives that you will actually use. Buy a set of knives like the blocks, and you will end up using your favorites and others go unused.
My wife was not happy with what I spent on some custom kitchen knives. But I noticed that they are the ones she uses most. It took me awhile to break her from putting them in the dishwasher. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top