JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I understand the Series 1's do not have a firing pin saftey and the series 2's do.
Some people seem to be willing to pay a premium for the series 1 guns.
Personally I think the asking price in the auction is way high since a new series 2 can be found
with a little looking for $699.

I paid right at $700 out the door for my new Kimber Custom II last month. I would never pay more for money for a used Series 1 gun than a new Series 2 gun (simular model). Series 1 guns are certainly not rare except for maybe the Clackamas made guns.

View attachment 190744

I prefer the series 1 guns. But Kimber makes a nice 1911 and the series two guns are fine as well. If the f/p safety really bothers a buyer it can be removed, although I do not see the point. The safety design Kimber uses does not affect trigger pull and does offer some drop safety (if that matters to you). Both are fine pistols and you will not be sorry for having either of them. I did not look at the add but I don't think the serious 1 gun should rate any premium price point.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the replies guys. Long story short: my friend and I have identical pistols except mine is series 1 and his is series II. He offered to trade his and $200 for mine and I told him he is dumb.

Not to be pick nittin', but technically there are no "Series 1" Kimbers, just the original Kimbers that didn't have the Swartz style firing pin safety. The "Series 2 or II" designates a firing pin safety.

The original Kimbers were second to none in fit and finish, can't say the same for them now, and the debacle they started by adding the Swartz style firing pin safety is pretty bad. Its a temperamental style that hinges on the timing of the grip safety in relation to the rest of the parts, add to that is one has to remove the rear sight to gain access to the slide parts of the system...whoever came up with that ought to be slapped!. Have seen more than my share go 'click' than I would trust, which is probably why Colt abandoned the system over 50 years ago.

I personally don't care for any firing pin system in my guns, but if I had to have one I'd go with the Colt Series 80 style...its more robust and trustworthy overall. And contrary to popular belief, one can get an excellent trigger pull down to 3.5 lbs, and never know the firing pin system was in tact.

I would not hesitate to get an original Clackamas or early Yonkers Kimber...in my opinion they are worth it.

The all mighty has spoken. yeah i know i know, pre-series II/80... ya know how much easier it is to use the above!!! (same with colt..)

But yeah agreed- Kimber made a very nice product at a great price. Then bought/moved (if I recall the buyout part) to Yonkers and QC slipped, then add on the Series 80 and well you have a company eating away at itself.

Original Kimber, the only one to own. You couldn't pry mine out of my hands no matter how many NY Kimbers you throw at me. Try holding both in your hands at the same time. There's no comparison.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads