Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Kimber Custom II or Springfield Armory 1911A1 Loaded

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Iceberg, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

Which do you think is a better mid priced basic 1911? I've seen the Kimber Cusom II for less than $700 (before tax) locally. I've heard that the newer Kimbers are not the same quality of the earlier models and that they have the Swartz type firing pin safety. I've only owned Colts & Springfields in the past, but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

2. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a Kimber Custom II Raptor. I love it!!! It has preformed flawlessly, even with its factory clips.

I was going to buy a Springfield Loaded PX9151LP model. I heard nothing but great reviews about them.

I would buy either one.

I bought the Kimber because of the deal I got.

Less them $700? That's a better deal them mine.

Howard

3. Iceberg

I bought the Kimber Custom II today; I can't believe that they only ship these high quality pistols w/ only 1 magazine.
    004-3.jpg

4. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

Is that the one with the plastic mainspring housing?

5. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Looks great Iceberg! I bet it will be a fine gun!

Howard

6. Iceberg

I think many of the Kimbers have the plastic mainspring housing like mine. Easy & cheap to replace if I want to at a later date. I'll probably pick one up when I order some magazines for her.

7. Spadkarma

Spadkarma South Lake Whatcom Member

Always a toss-up. I give the Kimber the nod, I always try to go with American made. I own a couple of Kimbers. Step one, buy Kimber. Step two, give the
    magazine away and replace with Wilson Combat. Step 3, replace the plastic part with a speed-chute.

8. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Springfield hands down, I'll pass on a Mimber unless it's a Clacky thank you :)

9. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

Great choice! I owned one and it was by far my favorite gun I've ever owned. The stupid firing pin safety makes it a pain to take down but when it comes to shooting-dead on accurate and not a single malfunction ever! I also didn't care for the plastic mainspring housing but oh well. Enjoy that new quality firearm! I had a Springfield mil-spec before that but when I first bought it the sights were installed horribly and were almost hanging off the other side so I lost some confidence with Springfield on that note. My advice to you is to go buy 500 rounds of .45 (from NW AMMO SUPPLY) and get some good practice.

10. Iceberg

I picked up a couple of hundred rounds of ball and plan on taking it up to the range (Clark Rifles) this weekend.

11. 009

009 Jellystone road sw Member

i have had both. and others also. i still have my "springer" it's awsome. and its stayin!

12. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

You did good. Enjoy your made in the USA 1911.