JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted one, then tried one. Now I don't want one anymore.

I like the simplicity of an 870 or 590. The rounds were nice, but not worth the trade off of weight, complexity, and price.

I bought two back in 2012 when they were hard to find and getting almost $2500 on gun broker, I sold one and made enough to pay for the other one. I 100% agree a simple 870 or 500 is a better choice for almost everything. But it's a hell of a fun range gun.

Now that I've owned my KSG for over 6 months now, and put about 500 rounds through it, I can say I honestly have no regrets buying it. It is a tactical pump-action shotgun with an 18.5" barrel, so it's not ideal for skeet shooting- but with the 2.75" slugs, it can reach out to 100 yds. with practice. Switching feed tubes does take some getting used to also, but again with practice it becomes muscle memory. I've tried different set ups for the pump action- right now I have an AFG on it, but may go back to a vertical grip. But forget about using a polymer vertical grip- they will break under hard use- an aluminum one is strong enough however. I'd say the the recoil with the AFG will leave your hands sore after a day of shooting. The AFG or a metal vertical grip will provide positive grip location on the pump action- I feel confident running through tactical courses, taking rapid follow up shots with either.

The controversy over the KSG jamming on low brass shells is valid- if you think you can run box after box of low brass through a KSG, you're get a jam sooner or later. Periodic cleaning and lubing do let you run cheaper low brass shells with no issues. Shooting 00 buckshot through the KSG is pretty intense too- 00 kicks pretty good, and the blast is devastating. 00 buckshot will destroy steel targets at close range, so I substitute 7 1/2 1 oz. shot for shooting steel at closer ranges. Adding the available upgrades to the KSG (machined steel followers, steel muzzle brake, QD attachment, extended butt pad,etc.) is well worth it too- each upgrade I add does make the KSG just that much better, but it kind of makes you question why Kel Tec didn't just add all of improvements Hi-Tech Industries and other aftermarket companies developed for the KSG, instead of letting the aftermarket improve it.

I'm looking forward to continuing my upgrades to my KSG in 2018.

Geno
9-8-17_002.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews