JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been looking for my first shotgun myself. The Kel Tec KSG stands out to me because of it's 12-14 round capacity, 26" length- ideal in CQB situations. It's built for that, and should shine in those applications. It's a pump action shotgun though, so you really need to stroke it to keep it from jamming and let the action drop the spent cases (a vertical grip is a must). BUIS, red dot, or even a laser pointer is needed as well.

Geno

I've been looking for my first shotgun myself. The Kel Tec KSG stands out to me because of it's 12-14 round capacity, 26" length- ideal in CQB situations. It's built for that, and should shine in those applications. It's a pump action shotgun though, so you really need to stroke it to keep it from jamming and let the action drop the spent cases (a vertical grip is a must). BUIS, red dot, or even a laser pointer is needed as well.

Geno
Maybe I should just roll with an old reliable 870. I saw an H&R pardner at cabelas yesterday for like $170. Wouldn't be a terrible option either.

Love my Mossberg 500!! Paid $100 at a pawn shop and put a $100 tactical kit on it switched the barrel to the shorty and bang perfect home defense weapon. Can't duck a round in the hallway when the whole hallway gets splattered. ;):D

I've been in the market for like an a tactical 870 clone or any used tactical 12g.
What do you want for it to be "tactical"? There is a TON of used Win, Mossy, and Rem. pumps out there. Any of them that are set up for birds can be a great house gun. If you find a good enough price on one which is not hard. Simple way cut the barrel off. You can get a simple slip on fiber optic sight that will fit any that do not have a rib. Cost less than $20. If it has a plug in it for hunting just take it out. Don't see them as much now but the big names used to make shotguns for large stores and stamp the store name on them. Revelation, Ted Williams, and such. May still run across one at a pawn shop that is unwanted do to the name stamped on it.
Another "budget" choice is the new one put out by Savage and Rock island. They both make one that runs around $200 new. Savage makes one that even comes with rifle sights and pistol grip full stock that can be found on sale in the low $200's. RIA makes one that's a copy of an old High Standard design. These would not be something I would want to start going to matches with and shooting 1000's of rounds through but would be dandy for the home.

What do you want for it to be "tactical"? There is a TON of used Win, Mossy, and Rem. pumps out there. Any of them that are set up for birds can be a great house gun. If you find a good enough price on one which is not hard. Simple way cut the barrel off. You can get a simple slip on fiber optic sight that will fit any that do not have a rib. Cost less than $20. If it has a plug in it for hunting just take it out. Don't see them as much now but the big names used to make shotguns for large stores and stamp the store name on them. Revelation, Ted Williams, and such. May still run across one at a pawn shop that is unwanted do to the name stamped on it.
Another "budget" choice is the new one put out by Savage and Rock island. They both make one that runs around $200 new. Savage makes one that even comes with rifle sights and pistol grip full stock that can be found on sale in the low $200's. RIA makes one that's a copy of an old High Standard design. These would not be something I would want to start going to matches with and shooting 1000's of rounds through but would be dandy for the home.
Already own a vintage 870. I want to keep it the way it is. I was just looking for a shorter and lighter model. More or less tacticool

A 870 would be a nice choice too, but I would want a tactical version w/ a pistol grip for close quarter work. Kommiefornia has a home invasion robbery problem, and the 870 would also work well inside the house.

Geno

It's all fun and games 'till you lose a few fingers!
It's stuff like that that makes me nervous when I go to the range. It's why I normally try to go first thing when they open. Normally few there. Every stall shows signs of someone having an "ooops". They had another accidental shooting there a few weeks ago. Don't know how bad it was as I never saw anything about it in the news. So hopefully it was something minor. Makes me want to get the hell out of there when it starts getting busy.

I was at a range near me a while back and there was like 5 people sharing a lane next to me. Everyone was laughing, screwing around, taking selfies and pictures.. I think they were all exchange students or something like it and I'm sure guns aren't a thing in their country so I'm sure they had to be excited but good god.. It was terrifying to me. I cant believe the range didn't put a stop to it. Anyway, threat hi-jack complete lol

Threat Dynamics in Sherwood has a KSG for rent. Don't lose a finger..

UPDATED: Another devastating Kel-Tec KSG injury
Nasty injury. I'm considering putting a vertical grip on a KSG when I get one too. IMO the guy was lucky he didn't blow his whole hand off- I would rather have a jam from a short stroke, stop for a minute, safety the gun and then clear the round than have a misfire accident like that. Shotguns are inherently more dangerous weapons to begin with- I won't be trying to do any rapid fire shell dumps. I'll be more focused on trying to put my shots on target- but it's a good lesson in shotgun safety too.

I have no illusions of becoming a SOCOM operator by buying a KSG- I know it takes years of training and practice to become proficient with a shotgun. But the KSG seems like a perfect choice for me because of the higher shell capacity and compact size. Kommiefornia has a home invasion robbery problem, and even 7 shots isn't going to be enough when 4 or more armed thugs come through your door- with 14 shots, chances for surviving such an attack would be much better (imagine trying to reload an 870 while the bad guys come around a corner and see you reloading- you're DEAD!!!). Enough competent shooters have shown the KSG to be a proven platform- I think it will work well.

Geno

Last Edited:
Nasty injury. I'm considering putting a vertical grip on a KSG when I get one too. IMO the guy was lucky he didn't blow his whole hand off- I would rather have a jam from a short stroke, stop for a minute, safety the gun and then clear the round than have a misfire accident like that.

Geno

Geno

I didn't read this article this time since I had seen his posting and pics soon after it happened. What he said then was it was totally his fault. He was racking rapid fire, as fast as he could pump. The forgrip broke as he was slamming another round in and pulling the trigger. It put his hand out front of the muzzle as it fired. Don't know if he is changing it to something else now out of embarrassment or if someone else just decided to change what happened in the re telling of it. Moral is if you want a vertical grip on one of these don't cheap out, buy a good one since it's going to take a pounding. Then of course don't play Rambo with one.

KSG is fun to shoot.
The newest model is much improved.
I can load 24 Aguila mini slugs in it for HD.

If you are in the near Bellingham (plantation rifle range) you can try mine out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top